baumer

Wednesday Numbers

I saw Total Recall last night and was curious to see what it had grossed on wednesday, but I noticed that ever since this monday it hasn't been tracking anymore... Does it mean Sony stopped tracking? It's coming off a 467,000 weekend, so it's not as if it's completely dead... Will it be tracked this weekend, and will the untracked daily grosses be added to the total? Or will the final gross tallies stop with last sunday and the movie won't be tracked at all anymore? How does it work? thanks

Edited by wboxoffice

Possible small bumps for tomorrow?

One difference this year than past years is that there is an NFL game tonight. While a lot of people still do not get the NFL network, it will still have a huge impact in Chicago and Green Bay. Slight declines would not be surprising, especially for male driven films like TDKR, TE2, Lawless, etc.

Probably, but just small ones. I assume you mean in today's numbers, which we will get tomorrow lol. There is one NFL game but it is on the NFL Network, so the ratings won't be huge.The Friday increase should be big.

Considering it's Chicago vs Green Bay, they will still be shown in those areas(Chicago is a huge metro area), regardless of whether people have the NFL Network or not, plus, the NFL Network is in a lot more cable packages than it used to be. I'm not even a huge sports fan and I get it.

Considering it's Chicago vs Green Bay, they will still be shown in those areas(Chicago is a huge metro area), regardless of whether people have the NFL Network or not, plus, the NFL Network is in a lot more cable packages than it used to be. I'm not even a huge sports fan and I get it.

I had not considered the markets. You're right, Chicago playing will have an impact. So small drops in today's numbers, especially for films like TE2 and TDKR, would be normal.

1 game won't harm as much as Sunday football.

It does though. MNF usually affects things. It won't be a big effect, but it still might be enough to have it drop 2-3%.
  • Like 1

It does though. MNF usually affects things. It won't be a big effect, but it still might be enough to have it drop 2-3%.

But Thursday football other than Thanksgiving day football is fairly new. I'm hoping for the best for the box office. This week has been shit.

It's a little different because ESPN is available to 95% of the country whereas this is not the case with the NFL Network.In November, most Thursdays saw drops when Thursday Night Football started, but in December, there were slight increases. Not sure the situation is entirely comparable though.

But Thursday football other than Thanksgiving day football is fairly new. I'm hoping for the best for the box office. This week has been shit.

The reason Thursday football is fairly new is that the NFL and NCAA had a long standing "gentleman's agreement" not to compete with each other. So there were no pro games on typical college football days - Thursday and Saturday, and there were no college games on typical pro football days - Sunday and Monday.However, the ever increasing TV revenues and greed, coupled with the fact that there was never a formal no-compete agreement, have meant that the long standing tradition went by the wayside. The NCAA BCS system was a large factor, too, since nationally televised bowl games occur during the NFL season in direct competition with games.So now we get NFL games on Thursdays and even some Saturdays later in the season.As far as it being newer, all that really means is we don't have a good handle yet on how big of an impact this has on movie attendance. There's little dobt that there *is* some impact, however.

It's a little different because ESPN is available to 95% of the country whereas this is not the case with the NFL Network.In November, most Thursdays saw drops when Thursday Night Football started, but in December, there were slight increases. Not sure the situation is entirely comparable though.

I think in December we have more people out shopping, particularly women, so that could explain why there is a Thursday bump during that time of year.It is also true that far more peole have ESPN than the NFL Network. However, more and more packages include the NFL Network, and the markets that are directly involved in the game always get good ratings. People go to bars or other places where they can catch the game if they don't have the channel. I do the same thing for big MMA events.
  • Like 1