baumer

Trouble with the Curve

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

In Trouble With The Curve, a legendary scout (Clint Eastwood) begins suffering from macular degeneration, thus hindering his job performance. His on the up daughter is trying to close a big case to make partner at her law firm but ends up taking a trip down to Carolina to help out her dad where they explore family, bars, and baseball.

I've soured on Clint Eastwood films recently. I thought Gran Torino was overrated. Hated Invictus. Hereafter was a travesty and don't get me started on J.Edgar. So when I first saw the trailer to Trouble witht he Curve I expected it to be standard boiler plate Eastwood. Except there was a catch. He didn't direct this.

Amy Adams is her usual powerhouse self as an overworked stressed out single lady. She speaks to her coworkers almost as fast as she spits out baseball trivia. It's great to see considering she hasn't pulled that out since Tallageda Nights. It's an absolutely splendid performance.

Clint Eastwood is good too and threatens Tommy lee Jones perch as best old coot of the year. He has some great one liners that bring brevity through some of the more sensitive scenes.

I never once was bored. The story, while simple: It has the subtly of a sledgehammer, but that does not mean it is not entertaining. boy meets girl. boy and girl talk baseball. boy and girl live happily ever after. The payoff is so worth it. And just in case you are wondering if indeed, the title of the movie has any subtextual meanings, well, yes it does. About 2 obvious ones.

A-

Saw it as liked it even though it was very basic. But I enjoyed the actors on the screen and the baseball talk, mostly from the scouts eyes. And I thought all the main actors shined, eastwood, Adams especially, jt who is very likable in movies and nice seeing john goodman.