kayumanggi

2015 Discussion Thread: Universal wins the calendar year | SW: TFA - biggest film domestic, 3rd biggest film worldwide

I'm expecting domestic ranking to look like this with what it is currently on board.

1.Star Wars Episode VII 

2.Avengers 2

3.The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

4.Despicable Me Minions

5.Fast and Furious 7

6.Jurassic World

7.Tomorrowland

8.Inside Out

9.Ant-Man

10.James Bond 24

1) Star Wars Episode VII 

2) Avengers Age of Ultron 

3) The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2 

4) Minions  

5) Bond 24 

6) Jurassic World 

7) Inside Out 

7) Fast 7 

8) The Good Dinosaur

9) Ant-Man 

10) Mission Impossible 5 or World War Z  2 (close to each other) 

The date for Tintin has nothing official in any case but I have doubts that we'll see it in 2015. Do we know when Jackson is completely done on The Hobbit movies ? 

As Paramount has a weak schedule in 2015 and Star Trek 3 and Transformers 5 will likely be in 2016, they could aim 2015 for WWZ2. 

Edited by Shaldun

Mission Impossible 5 is going to have it's work cut out for it opening in December (AKA Star Wars month), it should do well enough but not to the heights of the last one in my opinion and I think the other movies will break out better.  

Good Dinosaur is in an even worse situation, it should open well but then it has to face up against not only the post Thanksgiving drop but afterwards a new movie that is targeted at the family demo every single weekend (plus with the troubled production I don't expect it's WoM to be all that spectacular to be able to survive Alvin 4, STAR WARS, and Kung-Fu Panda 3).

I think Bond 5 will do better than previous Bond movies but not as good as Skyfall, Skyfall had all the 50th anniversary hype going behind it (which gave it a good boost).  I think Ant-Man will benefit from Avengers 2, Inside Out will get a Pixar's return to glory type boost, and I am predicting Tomorrowland to be the one original movie that breaks out.   I may have placed Jurassic World to high, but I do have some faith in it for some reason.

SH did fine against Avatar. Why is that a problem having a post Thanksgiving drop? Frozen, TS2 and Tangled all did fine on this date. Tangled 55% drop then 33% next weekend. Also could go the Frozen route and see a near 30,000% increase.

Edited by Neo

Will Star Wars be in 3d ?

99.99% sure and 99% for the IMAX (though with MI5 in second week, I don't know how it will go)

SH did fine against Avatar. Why is that a problem having a post Thanksgiving drop? Frozen, TS2 and Tangled all did fine on this date. Tangled 55% drop then 33% next weekend. Also could go the Frozen route and see a near 30,000% increase.

To be fair, The Good Dinosaur has a big competition from animated movies. Frozen was alone. 

The success of TGD can be linked to Jurrassic World's run : if the movie does great, it can passionnate kids about dinosaurs and increase this movie's gross indirecly. Jurassic Park was a phenomenon for interest in dinosaurs (there is always interest in it TBH)

Edited by Shaldun

99.99% sure and 99% for the IMAX (though with MI5 in second week, I don't know how it will go)

To be fair, The Good Dinosaur has a big competition from animated movies. Frozen was alone. 

The success of TGD can be linked to Jurrassic World's run : if the movie does great, it can passionnate kids about dinosaurs and increase this movie's gross indirecly. Jurassic Park was a phenomenon for interest in dinosaurs (there is always interest in it TBH)

First off could see on of the FOX movies moving to 2016. 2ndly will be more frontloaded than Frozen so won't have massive legs. Thirdly why is being alone a problem over 200M which can't see it missing would be great, doesn't need 400M+ to be a success. JW=TGD is that a stretch? Animated movie vs live action, mid-Summer vs Thanksgiving, Adult demo vs kid demo, reboot vs animated Pixar original.

I meant for that no info for Spawn for months and a sudden date would be a surprise.

I remember back in October that Todd said that he would plan shooting in early 2014 since the script has been finish since December. It's still early in the year and the movie has a very small budget. I would imagine we will hear something soon.

I think films that will upset Avengers 2 if they land in 2015. .Are Avatar 2,  MOS2... SW7

SW7 definitely has potential to be the biggest domestic and  WW  in 2015(Still a disney film tho lol -So the mouse has no complaints if Avengers 2 gets beat lol)

SW7 on a worse case scenarion should still place 2-3rd domestically and WW. 

Contenders for 3rd are SWS and Bond..

Any other big ones.

I hope MOS and Avatar 2 both manage to come out early lol

I think without Brad bird directing, MI5 might really take a drop if the director cannot create the wow and realistic factors Brad brought finally to the MI stables. I mean the dubaii scene with Hawke missing the window and needing to save by our favorite crew

was epic!! LOL

Usually I would put Jurassic Park in this  folly, but man no one seems to know yet how to recapture the audiences that would blow the leader contender away Kayom.. Maybe this director  and his  team can bring back audiences of the first.. And wouldnt that be mindblowing..JP4 the number 1 film domesticall and WW beating out Avengers and  SW7 and Bond!!

Wow..What a comeback that would be for dinos. Heh

Oh just thought of a wildcard, though its definitely weaker in potential because they wanted too long to do it.

The mighty ID4 part 2 does have a chance to be number 1 of the year if its remarkable and vastly entertaining over its predecessor.

Jeff Goldblum, Pullman, Will smith and alot of the cast set to return

Bond 24 over Star Wars, The final installment of the Hunger Games, and Despicable Me?

Minions is a spinoff. Skyfall did 800M OS even with all the hoopla (Olympics and 50th), Bond 24 should still do 600M+ VII could beat it though.

• Like 1