71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I finally got around to seeing cloud atlas on DVD. I somewhat shamefully confess that the polarizing reaction to the film when it was released was one of the reasons I steered clear of it so long. I guess one of the more important lessons I learned from watching Cloud atlas was that I still have a prejudiced and limited perspective when approaching a film, something I hope to rectify as soon as possible.

Having seen it, I can say with confidence that cloud atlas is a magnificent film. The many threads of the story interweave and, just like in a tapestry, you don’t fully grasp the full meaning of those threads until they combine to show the bigger picture and bring meaning to each individual thread.

I also loved the film for its ambition, something that many films lack in today’s cinematic culture of sequels with their formulaic roadmap for box office success. The implications that the film presents is at times mind-blowing. Surprisingly enough, the fact that I did not fully understand the film didn't bother me much, something I haven’t felt since seeing 2001: A space odyssey. Different interpretations could be reached depending on your individual life experience which is, in my opinion, a hallmark of a great film.

My personal take on Cloud Atlas has little to do with its actual plot. What I most strongly understood from it was that through the incarnation of each character, though the social status, situation and professions change, the dynamic they share with the key people in their lives remain ultimately the same. This suggests that at our core, we are who we are regardless of extenuating circumstances. 

• Like 1

Caught this on TV again the other night. Its still fantastic.

Even if the make up is hokey, even if the tone is all over the place, even if (or perhaps because) it takes itself waaaaaay too seriously, even if the accents lapse into parody, even if I have no idea what Tom Hanks is saying in the distant future bit.

No. Its absolutely bloody beautiful. Visually beautiful, incredible soundtrack, propulsively edited and with 30 times more soul and passion than most other films. And the Neo Seoul stuff is perfection. Would happily watch a feature length version of that. And a great cast too.... Yes, some of the acting is variable but I can't see anyone else in these roles.

Future cult movie right here.

• Like 1

.., even if (or perhaps because) it takes itself waaaaaay too seriously, ...

I don't think it falls into that trap - it's extremely episodic, and of course some episodes are more serious than others, but overall it hit the right balance (for me), there was even some very funny meta-comedy here. Come on, Tom Hanks as the choleric writer throwing a critic from the roof? Elrond Hugo Weaving as a nurse (and a female one, to top that?) - that's very self-conscious humour, fully aware of the potential towards the ridiculous.

• Like 2

I stayed away from this film as its nearly 3 hours long and it had a very polarizing reaction.

To me the film has big problems with some of the looks of the characters (makeup at times was odd) but I think the major flaw was that it was trying to make the film seem like a mystery of sorts where a clue from the past would solve this grand old mystery, rather then individual narratives with a similar theme.

I think the films end very strongly but the first hour really drags.

However I give the film an A- for ambition and I liked the ending of Tom Hanks on another planet with the new generation. 

Hard to say which storyline was the best but the New Seoul one was cool.