A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I've really like several of Johnnie To's films in the past, such as Drug War, Election...and him getting to do a romantic comedy is definitely intriguing, but Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 simply does not look good at all.   The reviews for the film coming from the Toronto Film Festival are also not good.  I wonder how the film is going to hold up against Interstellar and the Penguins of Madagascar.  

Edited by Ay72998

Johnnie To does everything; he's probably the most versatile and proliferate quality HK director ever.

he's just more famous for his action/gang flicks for the international cinema scene.

back in early 2000s, his romantic comedies with Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng were insanely popular. 

Edited by teardropmina

That PTA for  Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 on Saturday was meh. So IS probably will still win next week...

I've really like several of Johnnie To's films in the past, such as Drug War, Election...and him getting to do a romantic comedy is definitely intriguing, but Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 simply does not look good at all.   The reviews for the film coming from the Toronto Film Festival are also not good.  I wonder how the film is going to hold up against Interstellar and the Penguins of Madagascar.  

The Mission, Running out of Time, Drug War, Election were all excellent !

Like NA, romantic films trend to have weak box office legs in China.

Johnnie To does everything; he's probably the most versatile and proliferate quality HK director ever.

he's just more famous for his action/gang flicks for the international cinema scene.

back in early 2000s, his romantic comedies with Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng were insanely popular. 

Right, he just didnot make his name known aboard before turning to gangster flicks in late 1990s.

That said, Stephen Chow, Hark Tsu, Johnnie To probably are the only HK directors who have successfully transfered their careers into Mainland so far.

Edited by firedeep

Gewara presales

Interstellar : 2815

Penguins of Madagascar : 54

If IS won't be rapidly increasing tomorrow, it'll be in jeopardy.

Gravity's final numbers are 14k, considering Nolan has big fanbase here, I expect it to at least double that. 

• Like 1

Sunday est
TMNT  27.4m  315m $51.2M
For Love or Money  11.4M  32.8M $5.3M
Maze Runner  10.5m  134m $21.7M
The Boundary 6.9M  26.1M $4.2M
LUCY 6.6M  264M $43M
GOTG 1.8M  594M $96.5M

Haven't seen you mentioning Kung Fu Jungle for the past few days, which has been earning more than the boundary but slightly less than Maze Runner according to some estimates.

Apparently, it is said to be the only domestic production of China to be able to hit 100 million Yuen in such a bad release date, facing so many Hollywood competition.

For Love & Money probably won't hit 80Million Yuen. Don't go breaking my heart 2, base on saturday's sneaks, only earning 18.5 million yuen, and will be facing Interstellar and Madagascar, probably earns 90million to 98 million yuen in total. 

The sneak preview on saturday was to prevent a huge flop, but apparently the word-of-mouth in China right now is really bad after the previews.