A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

2 hours ago, Polaroids said:

I watched the movie a couple of nights ago.. I found it really good. It's more deserving of grossing that amount than most local movies that manage to do that in my opinion. A lot of them are overhyped lowbrow comedy films with questionable quality or just bland films period. 

Mr Six might be a good movie but I disliked it. I was not convinced by the values and logics it tries to convey.

Edited by firedeep

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Why is Detective Chinatown not doing that well?....I am confused here. Skiptrace moved out of Dec 24th, Ip Man 3 moved out of Dec 31st, the competition has been reduced dramatically. Mr Six is tough, but it already ran for a week. It should be doing better....

I think it has 1 full week to gross, don't think Sherlock(which is essentially a TV show) will pose much of a threat, it will have until Jan 9th and we will see how SW:TFA performs.

PS: It opens in Singapore only in January, is it as good as Lost in Thailand?

IMO its better than LoT.

Aa for why it's not doing better, I see three reasons:

Mr Six is doing too well (just getting stronger and stronger, biggest day was its 9th), taking the market spotlight and splitting away much audience flow from DC and Mojin

Wu Zhou's distribution on DC is not as strong as it should have been, at least much weaker than on GML;also, misleading marketing...

Dec 31 was not a good pick of release date. if possible, it should have chosen Dec 24, or switch dates with D&A.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

January 3rd/ Sunday  est:
Detective Chinatown 72.3M/422M
Mr. Six 53.8M/691M
Mojin 41M/1548M
Little Door Gods 13.7M/68.5M
Heart for Heaven 7.9M/74.3M
D&A 8.5M/634M

Big drops for Mr Six and Mojin!

NYD weekend increased 86% over last year, incredible!

• Like 6

On Saturday, January 02, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Infernus said:

What? Yes it is. Very Different. Star Wars grossing 600m means making 200m (50%) more than the current record when most present facts/data indicate a 250m$ high-peak unless it absolutely breaks out. On the other hand Avatar 2 making 600-800m on releasing in Dec 2017 (earliest it may get released) means it grossing one third of what the original Avatar would adjust to by then. I can simply not fathom why one would think its unrealistic, even if he thinks its not locked.

Local films and middle budget films are bolstering the BO. We cannot expect sequels to keep up with the market growth as many have already proven. 600m possible with the trajectory of top grosses but it wouldn't be a third of 09 adjusted. 

Olive, 200m+ OD possible for SW7?

26 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Local films and middle budget films are bolstering the BO. We cannot expect sequels to keep up with the market growth as many have already proven. 600m possible with the trajectory of top grosses but it wouldn't be a third of 09 adjusted. 

What, through your calculations, would Avatar adjust to by dec 2017, considering 25% increases in the hollywood market in the country for the next two years.

Edited by Infernus

39 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Wasn't Age of Ultron around 210M? From what I can tell looking at earlier posts, presales for SW7 are still trailing AoU. 

Edited by kswiston

1 hour ago, kswiston said:

Wasn't Age of Ultron around 210M? From what I can tell looking at earlier posts, presales for SW7 are still trailing AoU. 

That was a weekday. JW  did just 107 on a weekday and almost matched AOUs run. Thinking it could do 200m on a Sunday OD if pre-sales can pick up and hoping WOM catches on.

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

What, through your calculations, would Avatar adjust to by dec 2017, considering 25% increases in the hollywood market in the country for the next two years.

That's tough to calculate. I don't think it would've maintained the pace of the market and been over 1b this year. It's possible it drew a portion of non movie goers at the time that are now steadily part of the BO.  I have to assume it would've beat FF7 handily. 600-800 maybe 2 years from now

8 hours ago, The Good Olive said:

January 3rd/ Sunday  est:
Detective Chinatown 72.3M/422M
Mr. Six 53.8M/691M
Mojin 41M/1548M
Little Door Gods 13.7M/68.5M
Heart for Heaven 7.9M/74.3M
D&A 8.5M/634M

Big drops for Mr Six and Mojin!

NYD weekend increased 86% over last year, incredible!

LDG is really underperforming...