A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

28 minutes ago, CJohn said:

FOX changed KFP3's release date in America because of China and now you guys are saying the movie is DOA in China? WTF? 

Not just because of China, they initially moved from December 2015 because of Star Wars
http://deadline.com/2014/12/kung-fu-panda-3-release-delayed-star-wars-1201320908/
And they changed to January, as you said, because of China. But I believe also because of BvS. BvS may be huge, perhaps Avengers number worldwide. 
I am a huge fan of Dreamworks, but they are just not that good at marketing their sequels, perhaps after Fox took over their distribution. How To Train Your Dragon 2 was better than the first one, yet the box office in America was meh.... Kung Fu Panda 2 was easily as good as the first one, but the box office again... suffered. I don't think Kung Fu Panda 3 would do well in US at all. 

Edited by TigerPaw

My source says Dreamworks Oriental refused to change the Jan 29 release date, they want to have some Chinese New Year holiday boost.

Super dumb they are if that is the case. It will have less than 5% of screens till CNYD.

January 15th will see 4 wide releases, so EP7 will lose fair amount of screens if it doesn't hold well on weekdays.

January 15th:

The Last Witch Hunter

Royal Treasure:Go Fighting movie

The Secret

Boonie Bears III (opening on Saturday)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not just because of China, they initially moved from December 2015 because of Star Wars
http://deadline.com/2014/12/kung-fu-panda-3-release-delayed-star-wars-1201320908/
And they changed to January, as you said, because of China. But I believe also because of BvS. BvS may be huge, perhaps Avengers number worldwide. 
I am a huge fan of Dreamworks, but they are just not that good at marketing their sequels, perhaps after Fox took over their distribution. How To Train Your Dragon 2 was better than the first one, yet the box office in America was meh.... Kung Fu Panda 2 was easily as good as the first one, but the box office again... suffered. I don't think Kung Fu Panda 3 would do well in US at all. 

You do notice that Kung Fu Panda 3 has no big blockbuster-competition in February? So it's gonna rely on legs & WOM to do well in US.

Even Home was marketed like "Hey, Rihanna & the guy who was in "The Big Bang Theory, are doing voices in the film." Hence one of the reasons why it performed so well.

HTTYD2 was also affected by competitors like 22 Jump Street & Maleficent....in summer.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

18 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I believe KFP3 will not disappoint. KFP1 and 2 are very well reviewed and received in China. Dreamworks depend on it...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

My source says Dreamworks Oriental refused to change the Jan 29 release date, they want to have some Chinese New Year holiday boost.

Super dumb they are if that is the case. It will have less than 5% of screens till CNYD.

January 15th will see 4 wide releases, so EP7 will lose fair amount of screens if it doesn't hold well on weekdays.

January 15th:

The Last Witch Hunter

Royal Treasure:Go Fighting movie

The Secret

Boonie Bears III (opening on Saturday)

Why will it only get 5%? Too crowded? Any chance of it doing a Return of the Monkey King?

2 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Why will it only get 5%? Too crowded? Any chance of it doing a Return of the Monkey King?

5-6 blockbusters opens on CNYD, 3 of which are expected to make over a billion yuan.

earned est. $20.7M on Sunday, 35% drop from opening day. 2-day China total is $52.7M.

(The Good Olive :wub: is faster than that twitter account ;) )

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

FOX changed KFP3's release date in America because of China and now you guys are saying the movie is DOA in China? WTF? 

No, no we are not saying its DOA. Its just that its release date is so bad that it only has 10 days before some mega movies attack along with 4-5 other big movies. So it will not be able to do the phenomenal, atleast-FF7-level numbers that it should have. Rather it would just do Uber-Blockbuster numbers - hopefully something above 300m. Still much more than such huge hits as JW and AOU but still short of expectations, only due to the release date.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Bad move, CNY releases will kill it. It should open on Jan 22nd and grab some box office from the winter breaks before CNY movies kill it. 
I will be pleasantly surprise if it maintains 15% showtimes on CNY.. Imagine it beating the Monkey King 2(got a feeling the WOM here will be bad), lol... That will be nice to see. No way it touches Mermaid or Vegas to Macau3 imo

Anyway, does your source have information on Ip Man 3 or Skiptrace? Ip Man 3 did excellent in all markets where it is released, so is the March 4th date in China confirmed? Skiptrace I heard Feb 19th at Jackie Chan Tieba but no confirmation from anyone else.

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Bad move, CNY releases will kill it. It should open on Jan 22nd and grab some box office from the winter breaks before CNY movies kill it. 
I will be pleasantly surprise if it maintains 15% showtimes on CNY.. Imagine it beating the Monkey King 2(got a feeling the WOM here will be bad), lol... That will be nice to see. No way it touches Mermaid or Vegas to Macau3 imo

Anyway, does your source have information on Ip Man 3 or Skiptrace? Ip Man 3 did excellent in all markets where it is released, so is the March 4th date in China confirmed? Skiptrace I heard Feb 19th at Jackie Chan Tieba but no confirmation from anyone else.

Ip Man 3 and Skiptrace release dates are right as you stated.

58 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

You do notice that Kung Fu Panda 3 has no big blockbuster-competition in February? So it's gonna rely on legs & WOM to do well in US.

Even Home was marketed like "Hey, Rihanna & the guy who was in "The Big Bang Theory, are doing voices in the film." Hence one of the reasons why it performed so well.

HTTYD2 was also affected by competitors like 22 Jump Street & Maleficent....in summer.

Home was an exception, the first success I see after Dreamworks' partnership with Fox but I don't think it is due to Fox's marketing but really Jennifer Lopez's live performance of "Feel the light" video that went viral. Trust me, I love Dreamworks, and I want Kung Fu Panda 3 to do well, but I see it doing slightly worse than Kung Fu Panda 2's numbers in US....Some attribute HTTYD2 and KFP2's box office performance to Fox, other blames the animated series which causes fatigue for audiences.

I actually want KFP3 to do well in China, to squeeze into the top 3 of CNY releases but it is not going to be easy because on Feb 8th the percentage of showtimes could be less than 10%. *Fingers crossed*

11 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Home was an exception, the first success I see after Dreamworks' partnership with Fox but I don't think it is due to Fox's marketing but really Jennifer Lopez's live performance of "Feel the light" video that went viral. Trust me, I love Dreamworks, and I want Kung Fu Panda 3 to do well, but I see it doing slightly worse than Kung Fu Panda 2's numbers in US....Some attribute HTTYD2 and KFP2's box office performance to Fox, other blames the animated series which causes fatigue for audiences.

I actually want KFP3 to do well in China, to squeeze into the top 3 of CNY releases but it is not going to be easy because on Feb 8th the percentage of showtimes could be less than 10%. *Fingers crossed*

You see it.....but that doesn't neccessarily mean it will happen.

I understand your point a bit.....but just don't.....pretend to think that i could do better. If you want to go with your confidence on the film....go with it. :P Don't shy with your faith....let it flow.

I mean if it had something Secret Life of Pets, going against it.....which was supposed to be released in February....then i would be more hesistant. But no......competition is dead in February. So....doing worse than the second one......not happening.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

13 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I understand your point a bit.....but just don't.....pretend to think that i could do better. If you want to go with your confidence on the film....go with it. :P Don't shy with your faith....let it flow.

I mean if it had something Secret Life of Pets, going against it.....which was supposed to be released in February....then i would be more hesistant. But no......competition is dead in February. So....doing worse than the second one......not happening.

I find it rather funny when you tell TigerPaw (who has a "Thank You God" icon) to not shy away from his faith and let it flow :P 

16 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Haha, hope it does well then because I want it to do well! =)
 What about Deadpool on Feb 12th? That would be a major competition right? I mean in terms of film classification, it is for more mature audiences but the hype seems real, people are all waiting for a R rated Superhero movie! It will be a huge box office draw.

• Like 1