A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Point is, in the past two months alone, there have been THREE $150M+ level local films while the latest $100m+ Hollywood movie was still one year ago in last April. And on contrast, now we see several Hollywood movies underperform in a row.

Local films account for nearly 80% during the past 50 days of 2013, the best time ever for local films.

I think it is time to draw conclusion that Hollywood movies are becoming less appealing to the Chinese. They are more willing to see local films than ever. It is the trend, obviously, and happening.

If foreign studios are wise, they should now pay more attention to invest in Chinese films for the China market instead of just seling these foreign produced movies to the Chinese if they want to continue doing business in China.

Sure. But with one Hollywood movie disappoints in China after another ... it tells something.

See that statement right there makes your other statements about Hobbit being the biggest Bomb, utterly meaningless.  I expected the Hobbit to open stronger and perform lower based on admissions in most of the world, I expected a few places of growth, including China, based on their overall industry growth.  

Its based off of very known factors, one of the most read books around, and is considered vastly inferior to Lord of the Rings.  It features only minor characters from the other film, and one major (though really he isn't that big of a character in either books, and that's Gandalf).  Thus I really, really didn't expect it to behave like many a sequel, where the story is literally an unknown and often features many of the same actors in major roles. 

The Hobbit dud great in parts of the World, but it was easy to see that it wasn't doing it well in others.  Add to that, we have seen a lot of US films doing not that well in China in the last year.  You factor those two factors in, and you need to lower your expectations for films in your country.

See that statement right there makes your other statements about Hobbit being the biggest Bomb, utterly meaningless.  I expected the Hobbit to open stronger and perform lower based on admissions in most of the world, I expected a few places of growth, including China, based on their overall industry growth.  

Its based off of very known factors, one of the most read books around, and is considered vastly inferior to Lord of the Rings.  It features only minor characters from the other film, and one major (though really he isn't that big of a character in either books, and that's Gandalf).  Thus I really, really didn't expect it to behave like many a sequel, where the story is literally an unknown and often features many of the same actors in major roles. 

The Hobbit dud great in parts of the World, but it was easy to see that it wasn't doing it well in others.  Add to that, we have seen a lot of US films doing not that well in China in the last year.  You factor those two factors in, and you need to lower your expectations for films in your country.

Sure. Though what number from China can be considered good in this special case ? It is hard to say. But 60M should be the benchmark I think. And now it looks disappointed for sure.

If Hobbit is a direct sequel/follow-up to ROTK, it would fly passing $100m in China, maybe even 150M.

$40M~50M for Hobbit really is an ugly number whatever reasons you bring up. Since as I explained, it wont touch yearly top 20, enough to determine its so disappointed. For instance, even disappointed TASM easily entered the yearly top 15.

Jttw beats

Saturday numbers out:

Jttw 52m
Hobbit 44m

Cume Jttw 944m hobbit 79m

That just went from terrible to disaster for hobbit. Not a disappointment but a BOMB.

it seems hobbit just about ¥120m OW ! a poor guy