A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I feel like the next movie that will break Mermaid's record will be another Stephen Chow movie. It will take years for him to direct or star in a new film but he is producing and writing JTTW2. Will be interesting to see if it will benefit from Mermaid's success. Crazy to think that most of the people on this forum believed it would underperform and now it's become the #1 movie in China.

I predict Paramount/Ruyi Film's JTTW to be a breakout film this year.

1 hour ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Who knows, we all thought Mermaid would only make 1.2B or something,and see what it turns out.And there are many local movies can breakout, so hard to predict top 10.

BTW Good news, Mermaid stayed over 100M on Friday,

Yay! And looks like Saturday will get a healthy jump (135-140M).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

I feel like the next movie that will break Mermaid's record will be another Stephen Chow movie. It will take years for him to direct or star in a new film but he is producing and writing JTTW2. Will be interesting to see if it will benefit from Mermaid's success. Crazy to think that most of the people on this forum believed it would underperform and now it's become the #1 movie in China.

How about The Great Wall by Zhang Yimou?

9 hours ago, Mrstickball said:

What is the record for a martial arts action movie? I am unfamiliar with Chinese martial arts cinema grosses on the mainland. I am wondering what kind of projections are there for Ip Man 3 vs. the records for the genre?

Martial art/costume/fantasy :

1. Detective Dee 2 (Tsui Hark, 2013) 600M Yuan  

2. Flying Sword (Tsui Hark, 2011) 540M 

3. The White Hair Witch (2014) 389M 

4. Course of Golden Flower (Zhang Yimou, 2006) 291M 

5. Detective Dee (Tsui Hark, 2010) 289M

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

its more impressive considering its a working day. So Sunday can stay flat or slightly increase?

1 hour ago, Fake said:

I think it will decrease 10%. Sunday should be around 25% bigger than Friday.

Both Saturday and Sunday are actually weekend ... this is basically a normal weekend, with only very few people still working on Saturday.

• Like 1

Heard Donnie Yen was cast in another Hollywood production, a reboot of Vin Diesel's xXx franchise. Would be interesting to see its performance in China. China loves Vin because of Furious 7.

50 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

How about The Great Wall by Zhang Yimou?

I've said it here before but I'm really apprehensive about this movie... hopefully they can at least recover their production budget (which is HUGE). Zhang Yimou's recent films have underperformed and the plot for this one doesn't sound too appealing.

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

That Paramount/Ruyi JTTW is probably dead. They didnt get enough investment for that project. In other word, that film didnt even started shooting.

I am sure Stephen Chow and Hark Tsui's JTTW2, to be released next CNY, will smash Mermaid's record. the question is, will any other film top Mermaid before JTTW: Conquring the Demons 2.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, firedeep said:

That Paramount/Ruyi JTTW is probably dead. They didnt get enough investment for that project. In other word, that film didnt even started shooting.

I am sure Stephen Chow and Hark Tsui's JTTW2, to be released next CNY, will smash Mermaid's record. the question is, will any other film top Mermaid before JTTW: Conquring the Demons 2.

By smash are you saying 4B+ with new OD record? After mermaid would JTTW2 get a more open run?

11 minutes ago, firedeep said:

That's unfortunate. The movie would have benefited greatly from Liu Xiao Ling Tong's recent popularity on Weibo because of the entire CCTV Spring Gala issue.. that would have drawn in a lot of nostalgic people.

I don't think JTTW2 is a sure thing. Too many JTTW adaptations coming before and after it and Tsui Hark's not exactly known as a comedy director.

Without taking into account of dark horses, I think 2016's top 10 should consist of:

Mermaid 美人鱼 Union Pictures ¥3,300
Independence Day Sequel 独立日2 CFGC ¥2,000
Captain America: Civil War  美国队长3:内战 CFGC ¥1,500
 X-Men: Apocalypse X战警:决战天启 CFGC ¥1,500
Warcraft 魔兽世界 Tencent Pictures this one could go either way ...
Rail Road Tigers 铁道飞虎 Juhe Yinglian ¥1,200
Memory War 记忆战 WuZhou ¥1,500
Wang Pai 王牌逗王牌 Bona ¥1,200
The Monkey King 2 西游记之孙悟空三打白骨精 Anshi Yingna ¥1,200
The Man from Macau 3 澳门风云3 Bona ¥1,100

Too bad that The Great Wall moved to 2017. The problem with 2016 is that the summer is extremely weak: there is no sure 1.0B+ hit (unless SARFT allows big HLW movies in summer).

2017 already have a list of top 5:

JTTW 2 4B+ 

TF5 4B+

Fast & Furious 8 2B+

Crazy Alien (Ning Hao + Xu Zheng + Huangbo's sci-fi comedy) 3B+

The Great Wall 2B+

• Like 4

2017 is looking fucking huge already, China will pass North America, I have faith...

Hollywood movies just need to interest 3rd tier or smaller cities of China, those markets accounts more than half of the whole Chinese market.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

That's unfortunate. The movie would have benefited greatly from Liu Xiao Ling Tong's recent popularity on Weibo because of the entire CCTV Spring Gala issue.. that would have drawn in a lot of nostalgic people.

I don't think JTTW2 is a sure thing. Too many JTTW adaptations coming before and after it and Tsui Hark's not exactly known as a comedy director.

JTTW2 is no longer a straight forward comedy but an action-packed fantasy adventure (with comedy elements, though, I bet) with a whopping $80m+ production budget.

Hark Tsui directing a fantasy blockbuster ? I already bought my ten tickets. 

Edited by firedeep

12 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Without taking into account of dark horses, I think 2016's top 10 should consist of:

Mermaid 美人鱼 Union Pictures ¥3,300
Independence Day Sequel 独立日2 CFGC ¥2,000
Captain America: Civil War  美国队长3:内战 CFGC ¥1,500
 X-Men: Apocalypse X战警:决战天启 CFGC ¥1,500
Warcraft 魔兽世界 Tencent Pictures this one could go either way ...
Rail Road Tigers 铁道飞虎 Juhe Yinglian ¥1,200
Memory War 记忆战 WuZhou ¥1,500
Wang Pai 王牌逗王牌 Bona ¥1,200
The Monkey King 2 西游记之孙悟空三打白骨精 Anshi Yingna ¥1,200
The Man from Macau 3 澳门风云3 Bona ¥1,100

Too bad that The Great Wall moved to 2017. The problem with 2016 is that the summer is extremely weak: there is no sure 1.0B+ hit (unless SARFT allows big HLW movies in summer).

2017 already have a list of top 5:

JTTW 2 4B+ 

TF5 4B+

Fast & Furious 8 2B+

Crazy Alien (Ning Hao + Xu Zheng + Huangbo's sci-fi comedy) 3B+

The Great Wall 2B+

Independence day $300M? :o:blink:

• Like 1