A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

44 minutes ago, movieboner said:

Can Mermaid hit $600 million in China? It only has $120 million left and grossed $62 million this weekend.

It grossed just $26M usd this weekend, i think it will only barely cross $500M because of the strong competition beginning next weekend

8 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Good and Bad. Good is that it broke a lot of Box Office records for a Chinese film in places like Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam. So WOM is very good.
Bad due to piracy, and online leaks.

Just heard rumours --> Don't know whether its true, that Ip Man 3 HK Bluray is out on 3rd March, 1 day before the China Theatrical release... that would put a nail in the coffin for Ip Man 3, Bluray RIP Piracy is gonna kill it. 

I don't think the producers are that stupid...

4 hours ago, movieboner said:

Can Mermaid hit $600 million in China? It only has $120 million left and grossed $62 million this weekend.

Should be 530M+. Only Ip Man 3 is a big hit this weekend. Can't think of Zootopia. 

9 hours ago, firedeep said:

China Box Office Week 9 (2.29-3.6), 2016 Top 5 Prediction
Rank Title Distributor Gross (RMB/M) Gross ($/M) Change Total (RMB/M) Total ($/M) Days
1 Ip Man 3(3D)
叶问3
Da Yinmu ¥350.0 $53.44 NEW ¥350.0 $53.44 3
2 Mermaid (3D)
美人鱼
Union Pictures ¥160.0 $24.43 -61% ¥3,553.0 $542.44 28

That's good for Ip Man 3. Anyway I hope more. It's a great movie it deserves 1B+ IMO. I can see Zhang Jin is the next legendary martial art star.

An error on Mermaid's number. 

3 hours ago, sgchn40 said:

I don't think the producers are that stupid...

I just spoke to Alvina Wong(Daughter of Raymond Wong of Peagasus Motion Pictures), they said originally Bluray Release is on 3rd March, they are pushing it back to 10th March. STILL TOO EARLY. Gosh. =.= Ip Man 3 is killed by itself, not by competition.

58 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I just spoke to Alvina Wong(Daughter of Raymond Wong of Peagasus Motion Pictures), they said originally Bluray Release is on 3rd March, they are pushing it back to 10th March. STILL TOO EARLY. Gosh. =.= Ip Man 3 is killed by itself, not by competition.

Why the hurry?

46 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Why the hurry?

Apparently just like the China release date, once they sign the contract they cannot really do anything about it. They sold the Bluray and DVD rights to Universe Laser, a HK DVD distributor, and Universe Laser is the one who sets the bluray release date based on their own marketing and profit margin.... while Ip Man 3's hype is still out there... They don't care about China's Box Office.  I think Raymond and Alvina tried to pressure them, and they gave in but only delay the release by a week.

My estimate for Ip Man 3's China BO is now 500M Yuan, Piracy will kill it. It will die before BvS, look at the drop of CTHD2 this weekend after Netflix released it, available on almost every Chinese pirated and torrent website, and it fell like a stone in the 2nd weekend, the same thing will happen to Ip Man 3.

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

Wow that's really a bad news for IPM3. 

Shi Jianxiang could sue someone ... :ph34r:

I think Shi JianXiang already knows, he probably knew the risk of setting a March 4th Release date for Ip Man 3, piracy... bluray etc but still went ahead with it. Bad move. Very bad move.

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I think Shi JianXiang already knows, he probably knew the risk of setting a March 4th Release date for Ip Man 3, piracy... bluray etc but still went ahead with it. Bad move. Very bad move.

因小失大。Stupid move. But then it is part of risk management I suppose.

Revenant just confirmed to be released on March 18th, another competitor for Ip Man 3.
March 4th faces Zootopia,
March 11th Gods of Egypt,
March 18th Revenant and Eddie the Eagle.
March 25th Batman vs Superman.

I think it is not wise for Revenant to be honest, it should try to have a April release date. Coming out a week before BvS is a dumb move imo.

23 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

So....that's what you're basing your doubts on Zootopia breaking out, of? Because you liked it less than keyser, firedeep & bangbingchan? :huh:

Kinda doubting their optimisms, do you? :ph34r:

No.

I only expressed my opinion about the movie.

My prediction,probably wrong,isn't based on my tastes.

Edited by efialtes76