A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Biggest theater chain in China, Wanda, the one who bought AMC theater chain, had 837 screens (all digital) in 97 theaters with 148037 seats. (data a few months before)

Wanda now has about 60 IMAX screens. China now have 79.

Edited by firedeep

As I've said on several occasions, Endgame does cite a figure. And they claimed it was dollars when we talked to them on Monday. I don't know why I have to keep explaining this.I told you I was talking about box office sites, which don't copy Nikki. ;)

You don't have to keep explaining this. I just asked a question. Maybe I missed it. No need to get snarky about it. :angry:yeah okay. Edited by ECSTASY

• Founder / Operator

You don't have to keep explaining this. I just asked a question. Maybe I missed it. No need to get snarky about it. :angry:yeah okay.

My apologies, I'm not trying to sound snarky. Just being direct and not with you intentionally. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this since Baumer told me about it on Monday and its getting to be a bit of a headache, heh.

My apologies, I'm not trying to sound snarky. Just being direct and not with you intentionally. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this since Baumer told me about it on Monday and its getting to be a bit of a headache, heh.

No worries.And this is just my observation, we don't give enough credit to people like Corpse, Forg, Olive, Firedeep, bluebomb, efiliates, Fake and other members around the world who work tirelessly keeping track of these international numbers from their prospective countries. Had the China number not been questioned by these guys it would have all went away quietly.That's a testament to the quality people we have here. I'm proud of them. Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 7

• Founder / Operator

No worries.

And this is just my observation, we don't give enough credit to people like Corpse, Forg, Olive, Firedeep, bluebomb, efiliates, Fake and other members around the world who work tirelessly keeping track of these international numbers from their prospective countries. Had the China number not been questioned by these guys it would have all went away quietly.

That's a testament to the quality people we have here. I'm proud of them.

Completely agree. My concern is the lack of significant evidence. I've only been shown one website that reported it in Yuan, and it seems like not many are considering the possibility that it was wrong instead of everyone else.

I'm not taking a side either way because the lack of evidence in conjunction with Endgame telling us directly that its in dollars just makes this feel a bit too "ohh, its a conspiracy!".

Edited by ShawnMR

Completely agree. My concern is the lack of significant evidence. I've only been shown one website that reported it in Yuan, and it seems like not many are considering the possibility that it was wrong instead of everyone else.

I'm not taking a side either way because the lack of evidence in conjunction with Endgame telling us directly that its in dollars just makes this feel a bit too "ohh, its a conspiracy!".

LOL I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think it's probably an honest mistake that can't be easily corrected because of the delay in getting the final numbers.

• Founder / Operator

LOL I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think it's probably an honest mistake that can't be easily corrected because of the delay in getting the final numbers.

Yea, but if that were the case I'm not sure why it would be taking two days to correct it (they cited Tuesday as the day they would know for sure). So either they're disregarding all of this as an unfounded rumor, or they're trying to figure out how they can best cover it up. Either way, the more time that passes the less likely it seems they'll ever change their story.

Yea, but if that were the case I'm not sure why it would be taking two days to correct it (they cited Tuesday as the day they would know for sure). So either they're disregarding all of this as an unfounded rumor, or they're trying to figure out how they can best cover it up. Either way, the more time that passes the less likely it seems they'll ever change their story.

That makes sense. I think they will correct it- if it's wrong. They just have to figure out the right spin.

• Founder / Operator

True, but still, makes no sense to me to ignore the reports when people are clearly disputing it. If I were them and wasn't planning on making any follow-up statements, I'd simply say "we're looking into it". That's....not what they did, though.

• Founder / Operator

Thursday Update: Endgame Backs $23-25 million Estimates

http://www.boxoffice...mid-controversy

We're still investigating, but this is the most up-to-date stance from the studio regarding the gross. We just got off the phone with them.

Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

:popcorn:

:lol:I know, right? This is becoming the most entertaining box office tracking experience in a long time. Slightly reminds me of Puerto Rico in 2009... :ph34r: Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

For reference:

Biggest week in China thus far is the week when Titanic 3D debuted (2012/04/10, a Tuesday opening) $74M, total national weekly box office revenue 530M yuan ($84M).

Last week, well, lets say Looper opened with $24M. And we know it was performing on par with three local titles. And there were notable holdovers. Which means an at least $100M week for 9.24~9.30. A much bigger week than Titanic 3D week ? That was just IMPOSSIBLE !!! Not to mention it was the week right before the country's second biggest holiday. Pre-holiday week is always a weak week, if not the weakest.

Screen count-wise, Looper was on some 2,300 screens last Saturday and Sunday, 1,000+ on Friday. Lets just use 2,000 screens and 30 yuan average ticket price and 6 shows per day per screen, then you get 140 people per shows. That DOESNOT make any sense at all. Even Titanic 3D had "only" 93.

Also opened on Friday, Sony's summer hit MIB3, managed a 25M opening week via 4,000+ (double Looper's) 3D/IMAX/2D (3D and IMAX boosts) screens. Superhit MIB3 OW had 53 Per Show Attendence. :rolleyes:

The $24M OW saying was definitely a low-level mistake from the very beginning.

Blockbusters OW PSA ranks in China:

TF3 99 (July)

Titanic 3D 93 (April)

MI4 86 (Jan)

TA 76 (May)

MIB3 53 (May)

Just to repost.
  • Like 1