A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

It is definitely worth more than a re-release that may never come. Plus, the movie may hit $2bn and have multiple Oscar nomination during spring festival period. It is gonna be a waste if this extra buzz cannot capitalized in China at all. 

the thing is, yes there's an extension, but only very limited showtime available. Think about those NY/LA limited arthouse movies in the States. In China, movie showing license is for public display, but showtime arrangement is based on a combination of "unwritten rules." Even IF. assuming, Avatartwo's demand is still very high into Lunar Year period, it still will only get 2 shows per day, something like that.    

58 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Need to check sample size in coming days

Currently I am seeing 2 shows for 24 January & 4 shows for 25 January.

Note that I am meant 2/4 shows for entire day not 2/4 shows per screens.

I am confused. 2 shows per day per theater then?

Surely not 2 shows per day per entire China?

2 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

the thing is, yes there's an extension, but only very limited showtime available. Think about those NY/LA limited arthouse movies in the States. In China, movie showing license is for public display, but showtime arrangement is based on a combination of "unwritten rules." Even IF. assuming, Avatartwo's demand is still very high into Lunar Year period, it still will only get 2 shows per day, something like that.    

If the occupancy rate is high enough, that will "motivate" theater to increase showtime afterwards, And we never know the quality of new release. Some of them probably suck and that allow other better performing movie to take over.

5 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

If the occupancy rate is high enough, that will "motivate" theater to increase showtime afterwards, And we never know the quality of new release. Some of them probably suck and that allow other better performing movie to take over.

that's only one of the rules of showtime arrangement. we'll see how this extension play out:)

8 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Nah, that is applicable only for local works.

Foreign Work never had the privilege of increasing showtime especially in festival exclusive organized to celebrate & entertain local movies.

So, Avatar running on Spring Festival is already a rare occurrence. And a privilege that make James Cameron unique among all directors.

Just now, teard1972 said:

that's only one of the rules of showtime arrangement. we'll see how this extension play out:)

Plus, I just get to know WE2 doesn't have 3D and is almost equally long as Avatar 2, that could give A2 some competitive advantage in term of taste and showtime arrangement, i.e. more money from single show. Also, there hasn't been any big HLY blockbusters shown during Lunar festival period. 

All i want to say is hoping for a re-release is unrealistic and we better grab whatever we have on the plate right now especially when Avatar 2's buzz is still running hot in people's memory. 

On 1/8/2023 at 12:51 AM, Issac Newton said:

That was never happening as usual.

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Nah, that is applicable only for local works.

Foreign Work never had the privilege of increasing showtime especially in festival exclusive organized to celebrate & entertain local movies.

So, Avatar running on Spring Festival is already a rare occurrence. And a privilege that make James Cameron unique among all directors.

You said the extension will never happen but now it is happening. Still, an extension is better than nothing and lay ground for theater to increase showtime if there are still gas left in the movie. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

what kind of numbers are you guys expecting?

My prediction

Wandering Earth 2 - ¥3000M

Deep Sea - ¥1800M

Full Red River - ¥1800M

Five Hundred Miles - ¥1200M

Ping Pong Of China - ¥800M

Boonie Bears: Guardian Code - ¥500M

Hidden Blade - ¥400M

Minimum Prediction + CoVid-19 Issues 

8 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

You said the extension will never happen but now it is happening. Still, an extension is better than nothing and lay ground for theater to increase showtime if there are still gas left in the movie. 

Because that has never happened. Can you give me any example of Hollywood movies running in Spring Festival.

That's why I wrote today that Avatar getting an extension is a rare occurrence.

10 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Because that has never happened. Can you give me any example of Hollywood movies running in Spring Festival.

James Cameron is always exception

I said we try our best to help its global gross

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I told you the president is a big fan of Cameron films and James Cameron.

Hah hah hah.. Things can happen then you mix in the good relations he has with Bob Iger ... Lets Get it done!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

James Cameron is always exception

I said we try our best to help its global gross

Brother Bruce never underestimate what can happen when James is friends with the President of China and the president alledgly has been fond of his work since Aliens and Titanic! :)

Hah hah.. I love it,

• Like 1