A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I doubt Friday increased. PR Friday shows national wide decreased due to ONS opened.

Friday Estimates:

1. TT2 ---- 40M ---- 96M

2. PR ---- 22M ---- 420M

3. ONS ---- 12.2M ---- NEW

4. FF6 ---- 4.2M ---- 380M

5. CoP ---- 2.8M ---- 7.9M

Expected drop for TT2; Solid OD for ONS, 100M will happen handily; CoP flopped ....

Yes.But the later, the estimates become more accurate.

Not necessarily. Depends on what sources and models the reporters use.

There are quite several reliable reporters that gives box office estimates updates. Some simply do estimates with online ticket selling based on one or a few theater chains, some do estimates based on CFC real time tracking (which tracks up to 2000 theaters and usually is available around 22pm), some do estimates based on both. 

Theoretically, any estimates that comes after 22pm is considered relatively reliable, since that is when CFC tracking shows up and theaters have sold most of their tickets for the daily. Then it is all about models. Average ticket price, average show attendence based on available data, total shows national wide, how the movie is doing in certain theaters and chains, how the movie is doing in A/B/C-lister cities, what kind of increase/decrease movies like this usually have on Thu/Friday at a slot like this, how is the overal market looks like compared with previous day, etc.

Of course, anyone can make his own estimates if he wants.

Very few theaters report numbers to system at the end of day when they close daily business. Usually they report next day morning when they start early/matinee shows. That's why we only get actuals next afternoon, like everywhere in the world. That said, even the so-called actuals can be not really actuals. It is just called in that way. There are now over 3500 theaters but not every one reports daily box office, and not every one can always report in time. Up to hundreds theaters could be missed sometimes when actuals is reported. So essentially all the reported actuals are actually estimates. that is also why we see the cume numbers for movies usually turns to be little bigger than combined daily numbers: delayed reports.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I gave it 8/10.

Awesome, glad to hear that. I watched it again last night. Aside from the cringe worthy actings in some parts (never from Idris Elba though), I still found the movie enjoyable.Did you watch it in IMAX? I watched it in IMAX 3D last night and was kinda surprised that it looked good, it actually made a lot of the action clearer for me.

Awesome, glad to hear that. I watched it again last night. Aside from the cringe worthy actings in some parts (never from Idris Elba though), I still found the movie enjoyable.Did you watch it in IMAX? I watched it in IMAX 3D last night and was kinda surprised that it looked good, it actually made a lot of the action clearer for me.

I liked Idris' role too.

And I also watched it twice.

I watched it in normal 3D, no 2D or IMAX available here near me.

Can we have updated totals of the top 10 Hollywood films in China this year? Thanks.

1.IM3:$121.2M

2.PR:$67.5M

3.MOS:63.4M

4.The Croods:$63.3M

5.FF6:$61M

6.Skyfall:$59.2M

7.STID:$56.9M

8.G.I.Joe 2:$53.8M

9.The Hobbit:$49.7M

10.AE:$34.4M

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1