A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Gitesh Pandya @giteshpandya 18s

#HungerGames #CatchingFire release in China will be 1 day before US opening. Opens on 3000+ scrns in both countries.

Will Gravity have any screens left then?

China crossed the 10,000-screen mark last year. I don't know what the figure is now, but it's still expanding rapidly. Of course they're going to cannibalize each other, but it's not like Gravity is going to disappear after one day in theaters. And so far the back end of November is a lot less crowded than the first half, though there's still some movies without dates.

Edited by Bob Violence

Gitesh has little idea what he was talking about. Of course Gravity will get a lot of screens despite going head to head with CF. CF probably will be on 12000+ screens in US/Canada on OW and 4000+ screens in China.

P.S. there are currently 16500+ screens available in China (PRC).

Edited by firedeep

Gitesh has little idea what he was talking about. Of course Gravity will get a lot of screens despite going head to head with CF. CF probably will be on 12000+ screens in US/Canada on OW and 4000+ screens in China.

This is very useful info.

Who is holding screen record right now, can you post number of screens for every movie? Maybe a link...

Gitesh never said Gravity wouldn't get a lot of screens, just that it was opening one day before CF.

In other news, RED 2 is now an 11/15 release, which will help TDW. It also guarantees pirated copies of RED 2 will be out before it opens in China, though there was a good chance of this happening even with an 11/8 release date. (The U.S. and UK Blu-rays street on 11/25, so it won't be long before they leak.)

Edited by Bob Violence

Gitesh never said Gravity wouldn't get a lot of screens, just that it was opening one day before CF.

In other news, RED 2 is now an 11/15 release, which will help TDW. It also guarantees pirated copies of RED 2 will be out before it opens in China, though there was a good chance of this happening even with an 11/8 release date. (The U.S. and UK Blu-rays street on 11/25, so it won't be long before they leak.)

Thought Gitesh said 

Will Gravity have any screens left then?

So that's not him.

Red 2 I think will underperform.

This is very useful info.

Who is holding screen record right now, can you post number of screens for every movie? Maybe a link...

Sorry but I dont think such info available as screen numbers for per movie. Entgroup has theater count (uncompletely and unaccurate) on their daily chart.

Sorry but I dont think such info available as screen numbers for per movie.

Tha'ts kinda odd, i mean, there is no tracking?

Entgroup has theater count (uncompletely and unaccurate) on their daily chart.

Can't find daily, only weekly, with screening numbers.

Well, thx anyway)

Tha'ts kinda odd, i mean, there is no tracking?

Can't find daily, only weekly, with screening numbers.

Well, thx anyway)

Screen count is hard to track in the beginning, because it changes all the day and all the time. First there are sharing screen(s) in almost every single theater everyday, and then the numbers of screens for every movie almost changes on a daily base.

Screening numbers, in my opinion, is much better an indicator than screen count. After all, box office is more related to show times than screen count. Moreover, when you get screening numbers, you pretty much get an estimated screen count, just dividing it by 5~7 show times per day, according to the runtimes.

When we talk about 3/4/5000+ screens, we are all talking about estimated ones.

Currently there are about 75000~80000 screenings per day national wide on weekdays, and 84000~90000 on Sat/Sundays.

Blockbusters (400M+ grosser or so) can usually open with 30000+ screenings/day, 20000~30000 for moderate hits (150m~400m grossers), 5000~20000 for notable performers and less than 5000 for small/limited releases.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1