A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

And suddenly estimates are only 32m!

Right, I need to explain again!

They are 2 sources provide China Box Office est numbers everyday.  One release(we called it x) its number 2 hours early than the other(we called it y).  Most of the time(90%), both's est numbers are very close to each other.  The only time when they both have a huge different when it is a new film's opening day.

HTTYD2 Source x estimated 40.2M(9-10pm China time)

Source y estimated 32M(11pm-12midnight)

Source x cannot see the clear picture of how busy(may be after 8pm) as source x always release it's numbers around 9-10pm however Source y can see more clearer picture as it has enough time too see how busy after 8pm since it released its est number around midnight time!  So what source x did is just make all new film opening day higher as  source x predict for most of the new films, when it is a film opening day, normally it will get busy even after 8pm.  However, for HTTYD2 Source y can see that it is not busy after 8pm, source y therefore lower it prediction!   Both sources always have  similar est numbers.  The only time when both have huge different numbers is a new film's opening day!

I hope you guys get what I mean!  Sorry for my poor English! :P

Edited by SUPER GIRL
  • Like 6

I liked Frozen!Maybe not as much as others but I bought the 3DBluray.

I hope you didn't double dip or pay crazy amount to import the 3D BD from UK. As far as I know Frozen 3D Blu-ray has not released in the USA.

You were supposed to boycott the Frozen 3D Blu-ray because Disney got greedy and cancelled the 3D Blu-ray release from Amazon to make money from their online release of the 3D version.

I have therefore bought the collectors edition Blu-ray (2D) as I was forced to cancel my 3D Blu-ray order from Amazon by Disney.

Out of anger I downloaded the UK 3D Blu-ray for FREE  :D

I like frozen a lot but for Disney to pull this stunt really disappointed me. After spending over $100 for Frozen in movie tickets and 2D Blu-ray I have decided not to spend a cent more on this until the sequel comes out. Fortunately I have no kids yet, so lots of savings on the merchandise  :P

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=233531

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/1yq5bm/disney_cancels_3d_bluray_release_for_frozen_for/

All digital movies suck compared to Blu-ray quality ... this is very clearly visible if you are watching on a 120 in screen with a HD projector like I do. Even the sound quality isn't as good as a Blu-ray. The reason for this is simple, when you stream something the file size is no where close to 50GB, not even a quarter of that. So how can Disney expect me to buy their crappy digital 3D version  :angry:

Frozen made a lot of money EVERYWHERE including DOM so as great as it is it's already made money it deserved.

HTTYD has underperformed DOM and didn't have any major break outs anywhere so it deserves to make more MONEY than it has. And because Frozen outperformed it EVERYWHERE so HTTYD2 at least deserves to match or outperform Frozen maybe just this once because it's quality isn't inferior to Frozen even though their grosses are so far apart.

That was what I meant. Sorry I didn't make it very clear. I didn't try to talk down Frozen. I just think HTTYD2 deserves better.

A year ago no one would have expected Frozen to perform better than HTTYD2, but today no one expects HTTYD2 to make even half of what Frozen made.

I think HTTYD2 should have done better domestically. I don't know what went wrong. Everyone who saw it liked it.

The serious dragon-war stuff seems to have been a bit too intense for some kids - and even I detect a bit of muddle in that stuff. (It could have been a turn-off in the domestic market, where comedy and "heart" drive animated successes, and action-centric ones have a history of underperformance unless they deliver something more.)

Well said. The lack of sufficient comedy definitely has affected HTTYD2.

• Like 1

Well said. The lack of sufficient comedy definitely has affected HTTYD2.

But that was more like an U.S. issue, because in most of the rest of the market the movie increased in box office even though the lack of comedy and the 4 year-and-a-half wait.

• Like 1

But that was more like an U.S. issue, because in most of the rest of the market the movie increased in box office even though the lack of comedy and the 4 year-and-a-half wait.

But it didn't increase ENOUGH to cover the U.S. underperformance - and was oddly frontloaded in a lot of markets. (Though it increased more than Kung Fu Panda 2 over Kung Fu Panda 1.)

But it didn't increase ENOUGH to cover the U.S. underperformance - and was oddly frontloaded in a lot of markets. (Though it increased more than Kung Fu Panda 2 over Kung Fu Panda 1.)

3D share of gross has dropped big time for the second movie, both DOM and INTL. Just that took away something like $20M in US. In Poland first one was shown mostly in 3D for whole run. 3D for the second one pretty much dropped after 3 weekend because everyone was watching 2D version.

• Like 3