TMNT  13.5m  333m $54.2M
For Love or Money  7.2M  41.4M $6.7M
KFJ  4.4M  107M $17.4M
Maze Runner  4.0m  138m $22.5M
The Boundary 3.4M  30M $4.9M
LUCY 2.9M  268M $43.7M

#GOTG ends its run with 595M/$96.5M
  • Like 8

Probably around there or even higher. I have no idea whether people outside Asia knows Donnie Yen, but here in Asia he is one of the foremost action star, his box office results in South East Asia, on average in the past few years is better than Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

Of course he commands a high salary of an estimate 30million yuan according to some sources(his role plus being the action director). The other members of the cast are also well-known names in China and Hong Kong. I have seen the movie here in Singapore, looks like a high budget movie. And news is saying that Donnie extended the filming time to improve the fight scenes, hence the cost of production increased... It looks more expensive than Ip Man(don't know whether you have seen it, but it is one of IMDB's top 100 movies, also starring Donnie Yen).. hence at least 25million USD.

It needs at least 200million yuen to cover its budget, but it seems almost impossible now, it is supposed to be release in December where Chinese box office often blooms, but the distribution company is apparently unhappy with the production company according to some sources and did not put in effort in its marketing and refuse to change its release date, forcing it to go against 3 huge Hollywood hits in Maze Runner, Lucy and TMNT (all over 100million USD in box office, Maze runner soon.)

No matter how big a draw you are in China, facing 3 huge hollywood films, and having only 18% of showtimes in the whole country, and less than 12% showtimes in major cities such as Beijing and Shanghai on opening day... getting over 100million yuen is already pretty darn good.

If this film is released in a protected month in China, where only local productions are released such as December or early October, at least 300million yuen based on its quality. Bad Release date, little effort in marketing, coupled with limited showtimes in major cities(important due to apec holidays) caused its downfall.

With interstellar and Peguins coming out in less than a week, 120million yuen is the most it can get.

I understand the hype and excitement from many fans in the west who loves it when China produces and churns out huge box office results for Hollywood films, but many good asiatic films gets buried and laid to waste, its actually pretty sad.

Donnie yen maybe popular in hk but nt that popular in china though. Most of his films flopped in china. Even with a better release date wont help this film much.

China & hk have a different taste in movies. If i b honest,china already got sick of his movies. His name alone wont sell in china.

I dnt totally agree u.. many local films in china r still doing very well ( break up buddy et) so it depends on the movie that they really wana see.

Kung fu jungle dont get much interest in china. They dnt care about this film. His type of films dnt sell over there.

Edited by Andy001

Donnie yen maybe popular in hk but nt that popular in china though. Most of his films flopped in china. Even with a better release date wont help this film much.

China & hk have a different taste in movies. If i b honest,china already got sick of his movies. His name alone wont sell in china.

But The Monkey King break 1043m, i don't see Donnie Yen flop in China. I think it depends on his movies kind. Maybe Chinese audiences get tire of Kungfu movies. Donnie Yen is 52 years old now,however, he is still the king of Asian superhero. i am optimistic his new projects will do better.

Crouching tiger hidden dragon 2 & Noodle man (in English) will release in 2015. it is the time he get back to US audiences. Ip Man 3 (3D) also come out in 2015. i believe it is still most popular kungfu movies for Asian market.

The Master & Dragon City will plan to 2016. Unfortunately, the monkey king 2 (2016) is replaced by Aaron Kwok (buffalo demon) because the conflict of his schedules. i don't know whether he will cast in Painted Skin 3 or not.

Edited by Tonghai

I think another reason why Kung Fu Jungle didn't do so well also has to do with how horrible Iceman was.  That film definitely soured the audience's perception of Donnie Yen a bit (if his other recent movies didn't do it already).  Iceman was one of the worst received mainstream releases in China this year.  The reviews were toxic and flopped at the box office.   That definitely affected Kung Ju Jungle.  

I also hope they just cancel Iceman 2 already.  

Edited by Ay72998
  • Like 2

Monday est

#GOTG ends its run with 595M/$96.5M

Guardians drop TASM 2 out of top 10 movies of year. Guardians now stands at No.10.

Does Interstellar can surpass it? If not, i am optimistic to The Crossing.

Dont go breaking my heart 2 will become the biggest local hit in Nov : 

c0172ea66506f59c8c435eb66176fb67_500x735

Edited by Tonghai

Have no idea whether you are being serious. Lol.

Firstly, we look at his recent box office results, ignoring his non-action films, his average per film is over 150million yuen, since 2011. If we add in the Monkey King, which earned over 1000million Yuen, that average will even be higher.

Look at the ratings and reviews of Iceman and Special ID, failing at IMDB and Gewara, yet still earning an average of 150million yuen each. Which other Hong Kong based actor in the Chinese market now can do that, very bad reviewed movie earning over 150 million yuen? Jackie Chan and Andy Lau.Yes.

Aaron Kwok maybe.  He is still easily the top 10 biggest draw, and one of the most consistency draw in the China box office. 

I don't even need to mention South East Asian countries because every of his action film is in the top 10 of Malaysia and Singapore market each year.

His name alone in an action movie earns at least 100 million yuen, regardless of any reviews or bad ratings, that is pretty impressive. Kung Fu Jungle is one of the best reviewed Asian Movie in the past few years, and it went against a 1 week old lucy, a 3 days old Maze Runner and a fresh TMNT, all earning over 100million USD in US's Domestic box office. Any other asian movie being released on such a bad release date probably earn less than 30million yuen, that includes "Don't go breaking my heart 2", who is now having a great release date on 11/11, a special occasion in China, and facing almost 3 week old TMNT and Maze Runner, and an almost 4 week old Lucy...

If Donnie Yen movie doesn't sell in China, having an average of over 100 million yuen consistently despite bad release dates or bad reviews, I have no idea whose movie actually sells. Lol.

• Like 1

Have no idea whether you are being serious. Lol.

Firstly, we look at his recent box office results, ignoring his non-action films, his average per film is over 150million yuen, since 2011. If we add in the Monkey King, which earned over 1000million Yuen, that average will even be higher.

Look at the ratings and reviews of Iceman and Special ID, failing at IMDB and Gewara, yet still earning an average of 150million yuen each. Which other Hong Kong based actor in the Chinese market now can do that, very bad reviewed movie earning over 150 million yuen? Jackie Chan and Andy Lau.Yes.

Aaron Kwok maybe. He is still easily the top 10 biggest draw, and one of the most consistency draw in the China box office.

I don't even need to mention South East Asian countries because every of his action film is in the top 10 of Malaysia and Singapore market each year.

His name alone in an action movie earns at least 100 million yuen, regardless of any reviews or bad ratings, that is pretty impressive. Kung Fu Jungle is one of the best reviewed Asian Movie in the past few years, and it went against a 1 week old lucy, a 3 days old Maze Runner and a fresh TMNT, all earning over 100million USD in US's Domestic box office. Any other asian movie being released on such a bad release date probably earn less than 30million yuen, that includes "Don't go breaking my heart 2", who is now having a great release date on 11/11, a special occasion in China, and facing almost 3 week old TMNT and Maze Runner, and an almost 4 week old Lucy...

If Donnie Yen movie doesn't sell in China, having an average of over 100 million yuen consistently despite bad release dates or bad reviews, I have no idea whose movie actually sells. Lol.

u wanna know the truth.. chinese(main land) prefer the local films nowaday. Made in mainland nt a cantonese movie with hk actors. Maybe in the past but nt now. Even tho every cantonese movies would hv a mandarin version of it. Also, Donnie yen is supporting hk protest and that mayb the main reason y this movie didnt do well in china @ this time.

Donnie yen is still popular in hk singapore & malaysia but nt selling as well in the mainland. if he is still making the same movies like kunfu jungle, ice man or special id it will never gonna be a success here. Mainland got bored of his style of movies already. Sad but it's true. In the past maybe u r right but time has changed. Unless he changes the style or something to make a comebck. Monkey king was doing well in the mainland cuz of the special effect nt all donnie yen.

Edited by Andy001

Sad but it's true.

i see. in recent year kungfu movies get low in box office. although Ip Man can do less than $30m.

i agree that South East asia (ASEAN) still prefer kungfu movies especially if it cast Donnie Yen.

Both hk & china are chinese but they are quite different. kungfu movies tend to lose its popular in china nowadays. instead, comedy movies tend to do better.

i am not chinese but i do love Donnie Yen very much. As kungfu jungle is one of the best kungfu movies, no matter how much it earn. As asian, i always expect asian movies will popular than hollywood.

At Wanda cinemas, biggest chain of China, Interstellar Presales are just a bit more than half of Apes/DOFP..

Can we compare both numbers because of different dates? or it does not matter and it means Interstellar is headed to about 60 million $?