A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Disney will make a clear statement, and I doubt that those who said "Disney won't do it" would care or know that. Similar to how Simu tried to damage control on Weibo by declaring that he's Chinese nevertheless and will always remember and support his homeland yada yada, I doubt that even his loyal Westerner followers on Twitter knew he did it, otherwise they would unfollow him already. Both Jujutsu Kaisen and MoM are dead cases but hopefully, Thor 4 and other Marvel films won't get affected.

Edited by YourCake

7 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Well, no one wrote that. Even our Licensor and Management at Mainland China had issue an apology when Studio here mistakenly recognise "Taiwan" as a country.

Lol

Screw apology. Marvel doesn't need China. 

And China clearly doesn't need Marvel.

China people now dislike Marvel. So hopefully this leads to a definitive end. Like it seems it has already. It's a start. 

Extremist? Maybe. Do I give a shit? No. 

Am I wrong?? No.

Should studios be working with China? NO. 

PS: It's raining as shit where I live and weather affects mood. This is my excuse for being annoying today. It's supposed to rain the next whole week. 

Looks like financing from Tencent was about as helpful for Top Gun Maverick as it was for Venom: Let There Be Carnage. Guessing regulators didn't feel like letting a movie so fond of the US military show on Chinese screens. At least Jurassic World Dominion has already received permission to screen (no release date yet, though).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YourCake said:

Disney will make a clear statement, and I doubt that those who said "Disney won't do it" would care or know that. Similar to how Simu tried to damage control on Weibo by declaring that he's Chinese nevertheless and will always remember and support his homeland yada yada, I doubt that even his loyal Westerner followers on Twitter knew he did it, otherwise they would unfollow him already. Both Jujutsu Kaisen and MoM are dead courses but hopefully, Thor 4 and other Marvel films won't get affected.

People on Twitter were supporting Simu for speaking against China. People know he didn't say any lie. 

He then was pressured by the studio to... ugh. Whatever. Shang-Chi 2 won't release in China so... why? 

Edited by ImNotRacistAtAll

19 minutes ago, YourCake said:

Both Jujutsu Kaisen and MoM are dead cases but hopefully, Thor 4 and other Marvel films won't get affected.

Jujutsu Kaisen case was slightly different. As Japanese side had never care much about it. Management in Mainland China had managed all the issues, though they had requested a response from us. But, @animejujutsu (twitter) decline to comment. As original tweet had some more problems like unifying Korea. (You know SK had problems of Akumi being a JIA aspirator, has fuel some heat there)

Won't break my hopes but will see in next 3 years or a sudden release like 2018 Yokai Watch or Ponyo.

Hopefully, Studio will fix this when they will remember that "Mainland China release is left out "

32 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

Lol

Screw apology. Marvel doesn't need China. 

And China clearly doesn't need Marvel.

China people now dislike Marvel. So hopefully this leads to a definitive end. Like it seems it has already. It's a start. 

Extremist? Maybe. Do I give a shit? No. 

Am I wrong?? No.

Should studios be working with China? NO. 

PS: It's raining as shit where I live and weather affects mood. This is my excuse for being annoying today. It's supposed to rain the next whole week. 

This is  just your wishful thinking, Kevin Feige himself and Disney CEO have never said anything like this.
I think deep down you know why they can *temporarily* abandon Russia market, but you just love name-dropping it as if it looks like a proper reason for the studio to also abandon China too. Honestly? War and political conflicts aside, Russia doesn't even make it in the top 5 box office market/film industries. And it's clear to me that you don't like the idea of Hollywood caring about China for your personal political preference, not just that fancy human rights.

4 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

This is  just your wishful thinking, Kevin Feige himself and Disney CEO have never said anything like this.
I think deep down you know why they can *temporarily* abandon Russia market, but you just love name-dropping it as if it looks like a proper reason for the studio to also abandon China too. Honestly? War and political conflicts aside, Russia doesn't even make it in the top 5 box office market/film industries. And it's clear to me that you don't like the idea of Hollywood caring about China for your personal political preference, not just that fancy human rights.

They don't. 

The only use of China is to maybe break Avatar highest grossing. 

MCU can keep making billion dollar movies without China like NWH and like Doctor Strange 2 will do. 

Batman did really well "without" China basically. So is Sonic. 

The only thing China makes or used to make is good numbers on paper. Most of the times. 

"fancy human rights". Ok. LOL. 

Again. Marvel doesn't NEED China. 

Neither China needs Marvel. They have their super successful and relevant movies to China only. 

3 hours ago, LeoC said:

It's not like Marvel needs China anyway. Just a shame that fans won't be able to watch the movie in theaters.

No need to apologize. It is not like this movie was gonna get a green light even before this happened. No need to kowtow to this overly sensitive government and its fragile citizens. 

Yes they do. They contribute a lot to MCU movies, they skew a lot of them. Don't be so naive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Yes they do. They contribute a lot to MCU movies, they skew a lot of them. Don't be so naive.

I think you're the naive one. 

Or maybe just don't understand what the word NEED means. 

Recent movies just prove Hollywood doesn't need China. As will DS2. 

Unless it's franchises like Monsterverse. 

2 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Batman doesn't need china, Marvel/DCEU does. Big difference. Without China Endgame would of made just slightly above TFA, what a disappointment. And not every MCU movie is going to be an event like NWH and DS2.

But going forward it doesn't need because everyone will have the China situation in mind and compare how much better it did in matching markets. 

And I would argue that going forward most MCU movies will be somewhat of event/crossover movies. 

4 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Batman doesn't need china, Marvel/DCEU does. Big difference. Without China Endgame would of made just slightly above TFA, what a disappointment. And not every MCU movie is going to be an event like NWH and DS2.

And DC does need China according to you then. Because without China no DC movie will go over the 1st Aquaman. 

Lmao at least now they have given an actual, if incredibly bullshit, reason for banning a Marvel movie. But pretty much everyone expected the movie to not be released anyway so ai don’t know why some people here are surprised or freaking out. 

BTW i looked up Falun Gong because some people here calling were calling them a cult and freaking out about them. Turns out CCP got scared the religious movement was getting too big and could threaten their power. So the government started propaganda against it, banned it and threw thousands of practicioners in jail without trial or charges. And there was a whole long list of human right abuses and actual abuse as well. Its interesting to see some people have been so brainwashed by CCP propaganda that they will readily be against a “cult” and yet completely ignore the atrocities of their actual government.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Moderation: I can’t believe it needs to still be said but DON’T POST OPEN SPOILERS! I had to thread ban a person for that. 

Also the thread is problematic as it is without having Marvel vs DC nonsense in it. So don’t start that please. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Many franchises like marvel or dc or jurrasic world etc dont need china that doesnt  mean that china is insignificant its just means that this franchises can succeed without the chinese market.On the other hand there are some franchises like the furious franchise that have become increasingly dependent on the chinese market to succeed.All in all the chinese market is an important one but to say that marvel or dc or the jurrasic movies NEED china to succeed is plain stupid

@SupermanLego

Now thats a comment that i cant take seriously, while yes china greatly enchanced endgames total gross , lets not forget the fact that endgame jumped 500+ million sans china from infinity was sans china.Almost 2.2 billion without china is nothing to sneeze at and in no way a dissapointment , especially when you consider the fact that comicbook movies arent nowhere as big as star wars in the european market,while at the same time they dont have the nostalgia factor that drove force awakens in the us.For avengers endgame to make 860 million dom is nothing short of amazing.

• Like 1

I think @porginchina had pointed out a very fair point, franchises like SW, Marvel, DC, and Harry Potter come with a lot of revenues and baggage, they need to release films to make a cultural impact, gain new young fans,  sell merchandise, toys, and park tickets. For now, it can't kill Marvel's brand awareness in China, but from a business standpoint, they won't like a stagnant franchise that can't grow and can't attract new customers. I think Disney/Marvel will do much "worse" than a lot of people "expect" in order to get into China's market. Bend da knees, kowtow or whatever it is doesn't matter as long as you can make money, ego simply doesn't exist in those companies' minds.

So a slightly deeper dive into why Multiverse of Madness has been denied permission to screen in China…

Let's start with this clip from the Gargantos battle in NYC:

At about 0:25 you can clearly read 大纪元时报 (although the writing in the footage uses traditional characters, not simplified like I've typed here), the English name for the Epoch Times, a Falun Gong-affiliated newspaper with a reputation for vehemently opposing the CCP and spreading conspiracy theories (according to Wikipedia, they've been banned from advertising by Facebook multiple times— https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epoch_Times). As far as groups the CCP absolutely cannot abide, Falun Gong ranks very high towards the top; you can't release a movie in the mainland referencing them or seeming to promote a Falun Gong-affiliated group, even in the background of a shot.

Inspecting the clip more closely, looks like the newspaper kiosk just happened to be in the area when they shot in NYC (or else it was something the prop department found easy to source). Jumping into the realm of speculation, it's likely that practically nobody on the production can read Chinese or has a strong sense of Chinese politics, the inclusion went unremarked upon. To the untrained Western eye (and to me before I embarked upon this research), one Chinese-language newspaper is the same as any other Chinese-language newspaper, right? Alas, but no. Which is really too bad for Marvel, as it would be incredibly easy to switch things up after the fact in post-production with absolutely nobody being the wiser. I'll maintain that this seems like a situation where Marvel Studios can/should post some sort of apology onto their Weibo account.

Edited by porginchina
  • Thanks 2