A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Just here to report:300M for fMR was way too underestimated.This beast will easily do 400M+ or much more.After 10 days, its OD is still the lowest day of its run. and it is slowing down at all. instead, it's doing better and better and better. It is life of Pi all over again.Won't surprised even with 500M. OZ is fucked.

Is that yuan or USD?

Chinese box office is so boring now that all the interesting runs are movies that I don't know/care about.  

This market has just produced two $200m movies and one $100m movie in just four months. As an OS market, it is anything but boring.

Edited by vc2002

This market has just produced two $200m movies and one $100m movie in just four months. As an OS market, it is anything but boring.

Yeah but it might as well have been any other business that made 200 million or 100 million... I have no idea what those movies are about and anytime someone says JTTW or FMR it's just a few letters to me.  Maybe since you're in China and you've seen the advertising and trailers you can celebrate their successes more but for me I couldn't care less.

Yearly 2013 has about just produced RMB 5B by March 28, more than 65% of which comes from local films. 

The share and actual incomes for foreign movies has been and will keep decreasing the rest of the year it looks.

Now they all count on IM3.

RDJ will come to China to promote the movie next month. I'm confident that IM3 will bounce back for Hollywood movies.

Now they all count on IM3.

RDJ will come to China to promote the movie next month. I'm confident that IM3 will bounce back for Hollywood movies.

Not enough relying on IM3 alone, at all.

So Young is like China's Twilight movies. It's not appealing to male audiences.

SY will be bigger than FMR.

Friday:

#1 FMR 22M 

#2 The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel (TCTATS/CAS) 20.5M

#3 OZ 14.5M

#4 JTGS 2.8M

#5 DH5 1.3M

#6 RE5 0.5M

Cume:

#1 FMR 177M

#2 The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel (TCTATS/CAS) 20.5M new

#3 OZ 14.5M new

#4 JTGS 2.8M 34.7M

#5 DH5 1.3M 192M

#6 RE5 0.5M 106M

Comment: 

1. Ridiculous 2nd Friday for FMR. That is a 57%+ increase from its opening Friday !! With 177M yuan already in bags after 9 days, much bigger (+46%) 2nd weekend than OW (projected 110M VS 75M Thu-Sun), and Qing Ming Holiday next week. it is on its way to 500M as I projected on Tuesday. Even LOP didnot increase that much at the 2nd wkn. LOP just stayed flat.

Here is how:

Week 1 75M ( days)

Week 2 170M (7 days, projected)

Week 3 140M (7 days, Qing Ming Holiday boost)

Week 4 70M ..

Week 5 30M ..

Rest 20~30M

Total run = 520M+ cume gross. That would be a new record for a ROM-COM in China, by a bigger margin.

2. Fantastic OD for CAS. That means another 200M grosser for actor Huang Bo. The guy has starred in two 1.2B blockbusters and two 200M grossing hits (CAS counted) in the past 4 months as leading roles. Inside rumor is that the paychecks for Huang Bo's next films have rised to the 14M+ yuan range. The guy now is the highest paid actor from Mainland China. Well, good for him.

3. No word than "flopping" is more suitable for Oz's performance in China I am afraid. I saw it would open to the third place but didnt imagined it would do this bad. That means just 55M OW ($8.8M) or less. 200M is officially dead. see if 150M ($24M) is reachable or not.

4. Bad drops continue for DH5. Will finish just under 200M yuan $32M at this point.

Horrible drop for RE5, $20M is dead absolutely. More like $19M or less.

Friday:

#1 FMR 22M 

#2 The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel (TCTATS/CAS) 20.5M

#3 OZ 14.5M

#4 JTGS 2.8M

#5 DH5 1.3M

#6 RE5 0.5M

Cume:

#1 FMR 177M

#2 The Chef, the Actor, the Scoundrel (TCTATS/CAS) 20.5M new

#3 OZ 14.5M new

#4 JTGS 2.8M 34.7M

#5 DH5 1.3M 192M

#6 RE5 0.5M 106M

Comment: 

1. Ridiculous 2nd Friday for FMR. That is a 57%+ increase from its opening Friday !! With 177M yuan already in bags after 9 days, much bigger (+46%) 2nd weekend than OW (projected 110M VS 75M Thu-Sun), and Qing Ming Holiday next week. it is on its way to 500M as I projected on Tuesday. Even LOP didnot increase that much at the 2nd wkn. LOP just stayed flat.

Here is how:

Week 1 75M ( days)

Week 2 170M (7 days, projected)

Week 3 140M (7 days, Qing Ming Holiday boost)

Week 4 70M ..

Week 5 30M ..

Rest 20~30M

Total run = 520M+ cume gross. That would be a new record for a ROM-COM in China, by a bigger margin.

Can't believe FMR can do the LoP number with just less than $2M opening... Nowadays in China, WOM is really playing more and more important role in determining movies' final gross. 

2. Fantastic OD for CAS. That means another 200M grosser for actor Huang Bo. The guy has starred in two 1.2B blockbusters and two 200M grossing hits (CAS counted) in the past 4 months as leading roles. Inside rumor is that the paychecks for Huang Bo's next films have rised to the 14M+ yuan range. The guy now is the highest paid actor from Mainland China. Well, good for him.

Really? I like that guy. It's good to hear that. :D