A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

In 2009, Avatar was 3x bigger than Transformers. If Avatar 2 is 3x bigger than TF4/TF5 then....... then....... then..... we could be talking A BILLION!I know a hundred reasons why it won't happen, but I need only one reason why it can happen. ;)

OMG lol.... Well shoot even 500-600M will make people faint!!

Can yu imagine China outgrosses North American even though most expect Avatar 2 to make 650-900M

Domestc... Fak!!

OMG lol.... Well shoot even 500-600M will make people faint!!Can yu imagine China outgrosses North American even though most expect Avatar 2 to make 650-900MDomestc... Fak!!

Yeah..... it is very possible that China is bigger than domestic.We could be talking about 2.5B again, if that happens!

OMG lol.... Well shoot even 500-600M will make people faint!!

Can yu imagine China outgrosses North American even though most expect Avatar 2 to make 650-900M

Domestc... Fak!!

Total USA/Canada box office in 2013 is $10.923 billion

What was the total China Box office in 2013 for Hollywood ?

I understand that Chinese government doesn't let a lot of Hollywood movies to release there but all the major movies make their way.

Edited by Annayya

Total North American box office in 2013 is $10.923 billion

What was the total China Box office in 2013 for Hollywood ?

I understand that Chinese government doesn't let a lot of Hollywood movies to release there but all the major movies make their way.

No, please no... Annayya! :P

Nah.... it should drop in NA/Europe etc.

Avatar 3 and 4 will drop crazily but I think Avatar 2 has a good chance of making $3 billion. Eventhough many markets are seeing a decline in 3D sales, the demand for Avatar 2 coming after 7 years of waiting will suffice for a healthy box office run.

No, please no... Annayya! :P

There is too much speculation here about China box office overtaking Hollywood as a whole, so I'd like to bring things back to where they are at currently. I don't deny the fact that China box office will continue to increase but for it to make more than Hollywood collectively is not something I expect at this point. You can also not predict the economic condition of a country for that kind of time period (remember that the GDP growth of China was really in the past decade). Even if it may happen it won't be in the next decade, and to make things worse, by then the Chinese studios will catch up to get a better hold of their movie market share by producing more quality films at par with Hollywood in terms of graphics so a lot of the Chinese audience may be diverted to local movies. Ofcourse the local movies+hollywood boxoffice in China may exceed USA boxoffice in the next decade if their economic conditions are stable.

For now, instead of speculations we should go by what the actual figures are currently. A true comparision can only be made on a yearly basis which includes the combined gross of all Hollywood movies in China.

• Like 1

Avatar 3 and 4 will drop crazily but I think Avatar 2 has a good chance of making $3 billion. Eventhough many markets are seeing a decline in 3D sales, the demand for Avatar 2 coming after 7 years of waiting will suffice for a healthy box office run.

Avatar was a novelty. Everybody had to see it once. Even those people went to see it who don't go to movies generally. That's why movies like Avatar inevitably drop with the sequel. Best comparison I can think of is JP....which was a similar phenomenon. The sequel dropped 35% domestic and 30% OS.However this time, expanding markets, especially China, will moderate the OS drop to a great extent.
  • Like 2

Sunday est 

Tiny Times 3 56.9M/$9.2M, Total : 303M/$48.9M(4 days)

The House That Never Dies 54.4M/$8.9M, Total : 154M/$24.8M(3 days)

Transformers 4 22.9M/$3.7M Total : 1887M/$304.4M(24 days)

Old Boy:The Way of The Dragon 6.9M/$1.1M, Total : 181M/$29.2M(11 days)

The Breakup Guru 5.7M/$0.9M, Total : 640M/$103.2M(24 days)

hey AKA, just wondering where do you get these figures? (since I'm a newbie here). Paramount says TF4's total is an estimated $285.7M while your TF4's total is $304.4M?

Avatar was a novelty. Everybody had to see it once. Even those people went to see it who don't go to movies generally.That's why movies like Avatar inevitably drop with the sequel. Best comparison I can think of is JP....which was a similar phenomenon. The sequel dropped 35% domestic and 30% OS.However this time, expanding markets, especially China, will moderate the OS drop to a great extent.

Sorry but what Anna says is true Fake.. James Cameron draws in the minions.. It may increase domestically bigtime over Avatar 1 and will certainly have bucket loads to see it  OS and in China and Japan.

400-500+M in 2 territorries sounds right to me.  James Cameron is just too big a film maker and its his name and the epic projects he works on is the draw.. Noot just Avatar.. Hence why Fox lets you know its the Alpha and the Omega director that

did Titanic(Need I Say more), Aliens, True Lies, Terminator 2 and the original.

Nothing besides a natural disaster or economic failure will stop  Avatar 2 from making at least 2.4B and its the best chance

to hit 3Billion + at the boxoffice..  When you have tons of people predicting 2.5-2.8B lock, that is how you know

James Cameron there is just no words to describe how this man gets audiences into the theaters.

Nah.... it should drop in NA/Europe etc.

Er Fake.. James cameron took a 12 yr break and made almost 3Billion.. Drop you said... That is highly unlikely

lol. Unless JAmes misses his mark.. Avatar is also the biggest film on HV since Finding Nemo.. So you dont have to be rocket

scientist to know how big the sequel will be..  Some say 4billion can be reached but Im thinking

the ranges will be between 2.8 and 3.6B WW... In oothers words Avatar 2 will make more than 4 HP films!

It will beat Avengers 2 and SW7 and Captain American 2 WW combined.

Thats one hell of a run. SHIT!!

what the hell? Mojo reported $285m by Sunday, but it should have already passed $300m by sat! God damn! I just wrote a letter to mojo!

It's not mojo's false!  It's Paramount!  Paramount did it on purpose so TF4 will get headline every week!  For example, last week TF4 was the biggest opening in the UK in 2014 and this week is Brazil, Germany etc!  And next week the headline will be TF4 crosses $300M in China and the week after it will be 1 billion world wide!  It just Paramount's promotion method, it want TF4 steals the headline every single week since it opened few weeks ago!  You can write a letter to Paramount instead if you really want to make a complaint!  

Edited by A K A
  • Like 2

"In all this frame, TT3earned $48M. The 4th and final installment is set for release in February 2015 during the Lunar New Year holiday."

Too bad Guo Jingming has other novels he can adapt into shit movies. City of Fantasy (his first novel) is already confirmed. He's also working on something specifically for the screen.

Edited by Bob Violence

In 2009, Avatar was 3x bigger than Transformers. If Avatar 2 is 3x bigger than TF4/TF5 then....... then....... then..... we could be talking A BILLION!I know a hundred reasons why it won't happen, but I need only one reason why it can happen. ;)

Avatar made 3/4 of what TF4 did with only 1/4 the screen TF4 had. Like I said, TF4 hasn't brought out the full capability of this market yet.

Avatar did back in 2010, and it will be highly likely that the sequel does it again. Then we shall have a clear idea how big the market really is.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1