#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

Interestingly enough, this might actually be a historic day in BO history. If Summit prevails, then that means more movies will open at 10PM and have those count as OD grosses.

BOM just doesn't have the power to fight it. If the media reports it as a part of the Friday/Weekend, then BOM will just have to follow suit. BOM splitting it up by estimating what the difference would be will have zero effect on how studios report these numbers in the future. This will only matter to us.

But if BOM takes a stand now and puts the entire 30m on Thursday, nobody will ever try to cheat like this again :)If you're going to open on Thursday for more money, great, more power to you....but you can't count Thursday grosses as Friday numbers.

You really think studios give a shit what a web site reports? All they care about is the money they make. It doesn't matter to them what day it came in on.
  • Like 3

BOM just doesn't have the power to fight it. If the media reports it as a part of the Friday/Weekend, then BOM will just have to follow suit. BOM splitting it up by estimating what the difference would be will have zero effect on how studios report these numbers in the future. This will only matter to us.

I disagree...I think BOM is the arbiter of records. They're owned by IMDB/Amazon now, so its not just a website run by some guy. It's part of the industry.
  • Like 2

It didn't have the same amount of midnight showings PLUS THE ADDITIONAL 10pms. It worked out to about the same.And you lving in the boonies has nothing to do with the rest of North America.

There were 12am showings when I looked at Sacramento where I used to live as well. Regardless, you cannot argue that 10pm showings are not more accessible to the fanbase than 12am showings are.

You really think studios give a shit what a web site reports? All they care about is the money they make. It doesn't matter to them what day it came in on.

If it didn't matter to them, they would have split up the damn grosses and not acted like illogical buffoons by counting the 10 p.m. showings on THURSDAY night into the Friday grosses, IMO.Your Twihard loonmanship gets the best of you again.

I disagree...I think BOM is the arbiter of records. They're owned by IMDB/Amazon now, so its not just a website run by some guy. It's part of the industry.

Sorry, but you're overestimating BOM's impact. BO.com has more of an influence than BOM.

Not part of the industry at all. And a lot of film studios don't care if their numbers are accurate or not. Lionsgate has basically told Ray at mojo to screw off and they will not give him updated numberfs for Expendables 2 overseas. So the official number is actually about 15 mill higher than what Mojo has.

There were 12am showings when I looked at Sacramento where I used to live as well. Regardless, you cannot argue that 10pm showings are not more accessible to the fanbase than 12am showings are.

Sure they are. Easy argument.

If it didn't matter to them, they would have split up the damn grosses and not acted like illogical buffoons by counting the 10 p.m. showings on THURSDAY night into the Friday grosses, IMO.Your Twihard loonmanship gets the best of you again.

Not really.

You're right that money trumps everything else...But I think you're a bit naive about the records aspect. Not only do studios care about box office records, they downright obsess over them.

You're right that money trumps everything else...But I think you're a bit naive about the records aspect. Not only do studios care about box office records, they downright obsess over them.

First: How do you know?Second: Why would they? what does having a record do for the studio?Third: Wouldn't they more concerned with making as much money as possible qas quickly as possible?

Sure they are. Easy argument.

So if it's that easy, you have to admit this does not bode well for it matching BD1's performance over the weekend. WOM may help, but just looking at the numbers and considering that 10pm is more accessible than 12am, BD2 should have made substantially more than BD1's strictly midnight shows rather than essentially matching it.

Not part of the industry at all. And a lot of film studios don't care if their numbers are accurate or not. Lionsgate has basically told Ray at mojo to screw off and they will not give him updated numberfs for Expendables 2 overseas. So the official number is actually about 15 mill higher than what Mojo has.

Sorry, but you're overestimating BOM's impact. BO.com has more of an influence than BOM.

I disagree...BO is great, I am here posting on the forums after all. But when people want to check box office records, everyone checks BOM. BOM has an Alexa ranking of 2900. BO is like 50,000.They're the record keeper/almanac of this industry.

It's shows from Thursday 10pm on. Which means it had basically an extra showing over most films that had strictly midnights before. You can't compare and say this is "3rd best midnights" when that just simply isn't true. Even where I was they had 10pm and 12am showings, and I live in the boonies.

Except that there's no easy comparison. Most markets seemed to shift some midnight shows to 10pm. There wasn't more shows, they were just spread out.Same thing (in reverse) with the 3am and 6am shows that've become more common in recent years. Just think of all of them together as "Early Previews" and be done with it.

I disagree...BO is great, I am here posting on the forums after all. But when people want to check box office records, everyone checks BOM. BOM has an Alexa ranking of 2900. BO is like 50,000.They're the record keeper/almanac of this industry.

No, the record-keepers are the studios, who deign to release them for public consumption. BOM (and other site) collect and collate the data, but that's it.
  • Like 2