Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Can't decide if I should see this in theaters or not... It's polarizing, and sounds like it could be a chore to watch. Trailer really interested me though.. Hmmm.

See it. Go in with a clear mind, don't expect to be bored and you'll love it. That's what I did. I went by myself on a Friday afternoon where I could sit by myself and focus. It was a great viewing experience.

I thought it was really good. The acting was superb. I haven't read the book or seen the Alec Guinness version so I can't compare it to those. I didn't care for the flashbacks or how the Mark Strong character's scenes were handled. At first, they were very confusing. But I enjoyed the mystery.

B+

A-I really liked this film, it was so atmospheric and brilliantly acted. The cinematography is superb, and I didn't find the plot confusing. I found the story gripping and am keen to rewatch it when it comes out on DVD. It's not perfect though, it lacked a certain something and was a bit unecessarily convoluted.

I really, really enjoyed it. It is definitely confusing, but I thought a large part of its appeal lied in trying to piece together what was going on as the film progressed. Excellent technical work, expert and calculated direction from Tomas Alfredsson, uniformly stellar work from the cast, and in particular, a terrific performance from Gary Oldman, who gets more mileage out of subtle expressions than many other actors do out of long stretches of dialogue.

A-

B-Story was thin as paper, nothing really to figure out except that they had a mole that Smiley needed to find. I really love these espionage films but I would put this somewhere in the middle of the road type.Where it excelled: Atmosphere, Acting, look of the film. I thought ALL of the actors did a great job even though most didn't have a lot to work with. Oldman was the glue that held it all together but Strong was equally as good.Where it failed (imo): The storytelling and suspense. I thought the first act (the Hungary part/ Mark Strong) was the best and then the climax when the mole was revealed.

What I hate about these types of spy movies is that they're always so convoluted. The characters are indistinguishable from each other there's so many threads coming into play that aren't so much hard to track as just three too many. Or maybe the sheer bureaucracy of it all is just so soul sucking. Other than that, I loved the photography and 70's-ness of it all and I loved how low-key it was.B

Bridget O'Connor, and Peter Straughn did the near impossible, and condensed John LeCarre's over 700 page thick masterpiece, and turned it into a sharply scripted, clear, and concise, 2 hour movie. The movie was masterfully directed, and while to some it may have seemed too deliberate, and clinical, I felt that everything worked wonderfully, and the movie did a wonderful job of building a rich, complex, and interesting storyline that made the basic storyline of Smiley finding the mole, which in and out of itself is an extremely simple, and not very interesting story, into a story that is not only interesting, but also very thought inducing. In addition to that, the acting was superb, especially the acting of Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, and John Hurt, which elevated the story from just another movie, into something that was absolutely tangible, and believable as if it really happened in the real world. The technical elements from cinematography, to direction, and art design all were practically perfect, as the tension, and the atmosphere was created practically without fault, and contributed to drawing me into the film like never before. In a film where everything clicked, and everything went off without a hitch, I truly am not exaggerating when I'm saying that not only is it by far the best film of 2011, but also the 2nd best film since 1998's Saving Private Ryan, and Thin Red Line, barely behind 2007's masterpiece by PTA, There Will Be Blood.

A+

• Like 1

This is a disaster of a film, and no amount of rewatches or harassment from supercilious fans who claim I "didn't get it" is going to convince me otherwise. I have watched it twice and if a film has not convinced me it has anything to offer after a rewatch, it is not a good film.

The plot is indeed incomprehensible, but this is through no fault of the story, which is in itself quite simple. It is a problem with the dreadful screenwriting. The film changes time and place without giving the viewer any indication it has done so, introduces characters without reason or purpose, and ascribes importance to events that are pointless and irrelevant. The editing is some of the worst I have ever seen, without a doubt.

The themes of the film have been expounded on much better in other spy pieces, and only lead to a cast of characters interchangeable with one another in their stupidity and dullness. The script tries to elicit your emotional investment with homoerotic innuendos but in the end you must ask yourself who cares.

Oldman gives a dreadfully dull performance. It is criminal he earned his first Oscar nomination for a film where he sits with a constipated expression on his face for 2 hours. The rest of the cast muddles their way through the catastrophic script the best they can, but there's really no salvaging the film.

The art direction and cinematography are executed with care and purpose, but really only contribute to the viewer's desire to chew glass. The monochrome pallet reminds one of a nauseous sepia 60s sitcom, and the grainy camerawork does not produce its desired effect, only succeeding in lulling the viewer into a pained catatonia.

3.5/10, D

• Like 1

This is a disaster of a film, and no amount of rewatches or harassment from supercilious fans who claim I "didn't get it" is going to convince me otherwise. I have watched it twice and if a film has not convinced me it has anything to offer after a rewatch, it is not a good film.

The plot is indeed incomprehensible, but this is through no fault of the story, which is in itself quite simple. It is a problem with the dreadful screenwriting. The film changes time and place without giving the viewer any indication it has done so, introduces characters without reason or purpose, and ascribes importance to events that are pointless and irrelevant. The editing is some of the worst I have ever seen, without a doubt.

The themes of the film have been expounded on much better in other spy pieces, and only lead to a cast of characters interchangeable with one another in their stupidity and dullness. The script tries to elicit your emotional investment with homoerotic innuendos but in the end you must ask yourself who cares.

Oldman gives a dreadfully dull performance. It is criminal he earned his first Oscar nomination for a film where he sits with a constipated expression on his face for 2 hours. The rest of the cast muddles their way through the catastrophic script the best they can, but there's really no salvaging the film.

The art direction and cinematography are executed with care and purpose, but really only contribute to the viewer's desire to chew glass. The monochrome pallet reminds one of a nauseous sepia 60s sitcom, and the grainy camerawork does not produce its desired effect, only succeeding in lulling the viewer into a pained catatonia.

3.5/10, D

This.

I will be blunt....what a boring piece of shit .

Edited by Thrylos 7

Thank god, I thought I was super dumb for thinking this was way too hard to follow.

I salute the movie for not explaining every single damn thing to the audience, but they took it too far to the other side of the spectrum, there are numerous scenes where I didn't know what the hell was going on. Also, it's packed with important characters (with multiple names), too much to keep track of.

The filmmaking is pretty good and the cast is stellar, like, I couldn't believe how many great actors were in it as the initial credits started.

Its most suspenseful and well realized moment was in the beginning, when Mark Strong character was ambushed.

+55/100

I really think this has great rewatch value, though.

Edited by Goffe