The Movie Man

Whats More Important to U?: BO Total or Movie Grade

Hmm my personal view of the film is most important to me.

Agreed. If I like the movie I do not care what others can say. Each one has to be able to have an own opinion. You can use box office as guide of most entertaining or advised movies, but that not imply best movies necessarily. In my top 5 of favorite movies there is only one movie which was massive (The fellowship of the ring). The others are not blockbusters.

Well, seeing as this is a "box office" forum I think the box office total is most import whether or not people here want to admit that.Just read some of the threads when a movie under-performs at the box office. Sure, I want the movie to be good to me personally but I would be lying if a said that I wouldn't be disappointed if it did poorly at the box office.

• Like 3

Well, seeing as this is a "box office" forum I think the box office total is most import whether or not people here want to admit that.

The box office gross makes for the most interesting discussion, but ultimately it's not the most important factor imo. History almost always rewards the good movies that bombed far more than the bad movies that made money. Yeah, it's disappointing when movies we love bomb at the box office, but we can still take solace in the thought that they will find an audience eventually. I think movies like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World or Frankenweenie will have a lot longer shelf life than something like Taken 2 or Snow White and the Huntsman.
  • Like 2

Neither really matter to me, but to answer the question, I guess BO total. Since the grade is very subjective, it can be taken in any way. But the final numbers really can't be disputed. Regardless of 3D, IMAX, etc, the total is still the total.To equate it to sports, the Cowboys have sucked for about 15 years now, but what do their fans always bring up? They have 5 Super Bowl titles. So while people can argue how good they have been in the last 15 or so years, their Super Bowl total can't be argued.

Edited by 75live

The Cowboys are most comparable to a beloved franchise whose last few installments have sucked (like, say, Star Wars). The fact that they were very good at one time can't be taken away from them and continues to supply inspiration for their fanbase.The Detroit Tigers set a record for attendance in 2008, but their fans would rather forget that year because it was such a disappointing team. I think the sports analogy further supports my view, really.

Edited by tribefan695

I generally don't care about BO except that I hope good films make good money, leading to more good films. As for critic reviews, I look at them out of interest, but generally don't really care what other people think.My view and personal thoughts of the movies are always more important than BO/critical reception to me.

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

I generally don't care about BO except that I hope good films make good money, leading to more good films. As for critic reviews, I look at them out of interest, but generally don't really care what other people think.

My view and personal thoughts of the movies are always more important than BO/critical reception to me.

This
  • Like 1

While great Boxoffice numbers are always nice no matter what, boxoffice is only really important to me if I want a sequel or something. Quality is much more important to me. Some of my favorite movies this year like Dredd and Cloud Atlas, were flat out financial disasters. But in the end, I still got a great movie.