A Marvel Fanboy

2012 Annie Award (Nominations Out)

10 nominations for Brave and Wreck-It Ralph, while only six for Rise of the Guardians. Even Hotel Transylvania had more nominations, so Guardians is pretty much out now.

I still find it difficult to tell if the Annies could be considered a precursor to the best animated feature Oscar. But when taking a closer look they had it wrong three times:

2006: Cars instead of Happy Feet

2008: Kung Fu Panda instead of WALL-E

2010: How to Train Your Dragon instead of Toy Story 3.

In defense of 2010, Disney did not do any submissions that year due to the growing financial influence Dreamworks had within the organization (as evidenced by their 2008 victory), so that was why Toy Story 3 lost. The reason this went more or less unnoticed was of course because Dragon was Dreamworks' best film to date and even if Katzenberg hadn't rigged the votes, it would have still been a worthy winner.

Anyway, both Disney and Pixar rejoined ASIFA-Hollywood in 2011 after their 2010 withdrawal. There's been an overhaul in the judging process and a reorganization that gave more weight to studio representatives. Last year's winner was Rango at both the Annies and the Oscars. So it's a fairly safe bet that the winner this year will also take home the Oscar.

Um, last year was also the year of Cars 2 and was otherwise a torrid year for animation.Is the Dreamworks criticism really justified? Seems like sour grapes more than anything. Pixar have probably won every year so since KFP was the first half decent feature from Dreamworks in ages, they might have wanted to encourage that.

By the way the LA Time has a director's roundtable for animation. Represented are Brave, Rise of the Guardians, Paranorman, Wreck It Ralph and Hotel Transylvania.I only watched a couple minutes before deciding I'd wait until after I saw Paranorman and WIR in case any spoilers are let go.However, already from it, I don't particularly think any of them have any real integrity or deserve this roundtable. Especially Mark Andrews. Seems like a douchebag already.