filmnerdjamie

Thursday Numbers (12/20)

You guys are forgetting that I Am Legend faced National Treasure 2 on its second Friday. Nothing else besides Hobbit is making more than 5m today. Hobbit is guaranteed to increase more than 80%. By how much, I don't know... 90%-100% seems safe. 12.77m Friday (93%) 15.58m Saturday (22%) 12.6m Sunday (-19.1%) 40.95m weekend (-51.6%)

In 2007 with the exact same setup you describe (Alvin and the Chipmunks, Golden Compass, Enchanted all having inflated weekdays), I am Legend still increased 80% against direct competition from National Treasure 2 which did mid-40s business.So again I ask you, with all of the advantages The Hobbit has over I am Legend (particually that fact it has no competition really at all until the 25th), how will it not have a substantially better Friday and Saturday increase?

For what it's worth, i hope you are right. ;)

People keep saying that but at least on OW, audiences skewed older and male.

Of course it did...on opening weekend.

Sure, they drop harder but they also don't increase better. Let's take Skyfall for instance, which i think also skews a little older and male. It increased 90% last Friday, i'd be surprised if it increases 90% again this Friday since its Thursday week-to-week drop will probably be only around 10% (just a guess based on the good Thursday numbers so far for other movies). If Skyfall increases less than 90%, i think Hobbit will follow suit (provided Skyfall's drop is not caused by theater loss).

You have to look at other movies in terms of figuring out the current market situation. And current situation is that midweek days are clearly inflated.

Well the "current market situation" is about to change as all kids will be out of school Friday, causing a bigger than "current" jump for films that are more family friendly.

WOM on The Hobbit is not very good which, sorry to upset some people, is a fact. I am not hating on the movie and although I didn't like it very much, I do not wish failure upon it. But this is NOT Lord of the Rings quality; not even close (but on a $$ level, it does have IMAX, 3D and a decades worth of inflation so we shall see). I personally see this clocking out at around $275 or 280m DOM and $850-915m WW.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, i hope you are right. ;)

Thanks. I don't expect some massive jump like say the Narnia films had, my prediction is 105% based on the substantially less competition than I am Legend and The Hobbit skewing more towards families and kids than Legend did (not saying it is a "family" film though like the Narnia ones).

WOM on The Hobbit is not very good which, sorry to upset some people, is a fact.

A Cinemascore4/5 Stars on Yahoo8.5/10 #92/250 from 90k IMDb users81% 4.2/5 from 150k RT usersI liked it. My friends liked it. I just don't see "Not very good WOM" as a "fact". Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

There's no school today (Friday)?

Depends on the school district. Some school districts in the U.S. started winter break yesterday with no school, some started it today with no school, but the majority of districts I think still have school today.

Aside from personal anecdotes, I don't see how you can say that. Its WOM is not insanely awesome/spectacular/amazing, but it's pretty solid. Certainly far from "not very good".

I mean it is literally not "very good." WOM on the Hobbit is, as you say, perhaps solid (I think it is closer to mediocre but that is an opinion) but that is not "very good." WOM on something like Life of Pi or even Flight is very good while Argo and Lincoln have excellent WOM. WOM on The Hobbit is NOT "very good." Rant over.