filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (12/26)

Yes, but every post about new movies gets crushed under an avalanche of Hobbit posts. I don't mind the posts about the Hobbit so much as I mind the lack of posts about other films.

You can thank the haters for that. Probably half the posts are from fishnets about how she hopes it does badly. Edited by Elessar
  • Like 9

So how about that Hyde Park on the Hudson?Just talking about other movies.

Except what I'm saying is you can't just talk about the Broncos to make the Superbowl without talking about the Patriots and the Texans. You're bringing the Chiefs into it. What I'm trying to promote is relevant discussion of major aspects of the box office.
  • Like 1

Yes, but every post about new movies gets crushed under an avalanche of Hobbit posts. I don't mind the posts about the Hobbit so much as I mind the lack of posts about other films.

Then you should post about those films instead of complaining that others aren't.

So when do you guys think Skyfall hits a billion? Tomorrow or Saturday?

That`s what I want to know too. Because when it hits, it`ll still have more steam and maybe enough to pass Shriekapoo for me and TF3 for other people who expressed interest in seeing that one go down.

I don`t mind quality discussion which would be admitting that if TH wins the weekend it`ll be only because it plays in 1300 more theaters than LM which is just as long movie as TH and doesn`t get more showings a day. LM is sold out. TH profits from spillovers. If LM played in more theaters, it would satisfy the demand instead of having people who went to see it watch TH because they couldn`t get tickets. This kind of talk is OK. But you know we`ll get tons of spin that TH WOM is suddenly glorious and competition`s isn`t and what not.

No one talks more about Hobbit and LOTR than you do... Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

I don`t mind quality discussion which would be admitting that if TH wins the weekend it`ll be only because it plays in 1300 more theaters than LM which is just as long movie as TH and doesn`t get more showings a day. LM is sold out. TH profits from spillovers. If LM played in more theaters, it would satisfy the demand instead of having people who went to see it watch TH because they couldn`t get tickets. This kind of talk is OK. But you know we`ll get tons of spin that TH WOM is suddenly glorious and competition`s isn`t and what not.

Blame Universal for not giving it enough theaters. They should have been able to get it into 3500 theaters.

If Les Mis and Django each add 150 theaters, that isn't happening in the slightest. The only way Hobbit wins is if the other films continue with low TCs. At my theater, both of those films (and Parental Guidance, actually) doubled the business of the Hobbit.Edit: And the fact that my region (South Florida) is the most diverse in the nation means it serves as a good barometer of other important, urban areas.

Clearly Django and LM will have higher PTA but my point is Hobbit isn't slumming. It's going to have great weekend along with DU and LM.You should also get on fishnets and the haters because they bring Hobbit up every opportunity they get. Edited by druv10

Blame Universal for not giving it enough theaters. They should have been able to get it into 3500 theaters.

I totally do. This year is full of fuck ups like that. Harvey releases SLP as a platform which was completely inappropriate but that was his move when he realized he scheduled a romcom against BD2. He`s still expending SLP too slowly while he rushed The Master expansion and that also backfired. Then he didn`t send DU screeners to SAG so actors missed nominations. Now Uni released LM in under 3000 theaters which is beyond ridiculous especially for a long movie that has slower turnover.

I totally do. This year is full of fuck ups like that. Harvey releases SLP as a platform which was completely inappropriate but that was his move when he realized he scheduled a romcom against BD2. He`s still expending SLP too slowly while he rushed The Master expansion and that also backfired. Then he didn`t send DU screeners to SAG so actors missed nominations. Now Uni released LM in under 3000 theaters which is beyond ridiculous especially for a long movie that has slower turnover.

Agree completely. I'm still confounded by ridiculously slow expansion of SLP. It should be playing 2000+ theaters right now.
  • Like 1

Agree completely. I'm still confounded by ridiculously slow expansion of SLP. It should be playing 2000+ theaters right now.

Agreed, that film is a major release crowd pleaser if I've ever seen one. This January is pretty unusually packed, so it's gonna have to rely on being counter programming in its expansion, not primary programming. That's too bad for such a wonderful film.

Agreed, that film is a major release crowd pleaser if I've ever seen one. This January is pretty unusually packed, so it's gonna have to rely on being counter programming in its expansion, not primary programming. That's too bad for such a wonderful film.

It would be doing gangbusters right now with 2000-2500 theaters. I think 100M+ would have been possible but now it's going to need serious Oscar love to hit that number. A missed opportunity for the Weinsteins.

Harvey messed up everything, not just the movie but Lawrence win and Cooper nom. Cooper may get nominated but he would have been a lock if the movie was posting huge numbers. Likewise Lawrence win would have been assured if she had 2 blockbusters. As it is, ZDT has gained the momentum in actress and Bst Picture category (SLP was never strong in the latter but Lawrence was the frontrunner until Chastain bandwaggon which SLP boxoffice performance would have kept in check).

Edited by fishnets

I can finally say it at least once in its run: incredible number today for Hobbit! :P

It`s hardly incredible because it was expected but whatever. I`m seeing it in an hour so I`m leaving my house. Will keep an eye on LM and DU sell-outs. Edited by fishnets