Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Sorry I dont buy that sticking a camera in one spot for 15 minutes is great direction. Argo was much better to me. I think Amour is a good film but Affleck should have been here instead.

It's not the shots it is the intent of the shots that matter. You can literally see Haneke's logic, and genius at work; each shot is deliberate and with a very specific purpose. It's very much not the same as leaving a camera in a corner for 15 minutes. To say that is frankly insulting, and it's like saying Anna Karenina is a long book. It's not necessarily wrong but the connotation of the way it is said is demeaning and it's dumbing it down to an unacceptable level.

I just really have zero desire to see Holy Motors. Is it really that good?

I can see why it would annoy people. It is very random, and it gets pretty slow in the third act, but even people who hated the film seem to agree that the lead actor Denis Lavant knocks it out of the park with an amazing performance.

I suggest that if you watch it, watch it when you're not tired. It is quite a handful and if you watch it tired it could seem the worst thing ever.

Sorry I dont buy that sticking a camera in one spot for 15 minutes is great direction. Argo was much better to me. I think Amour is a good film but Affleck should have been here instead.

Baumer, I appreciate this sort of direction is not your cup of tea, but restrained, methodical shots that allow action to unfold within space is a classic style and a direct counterpoint to the Eisenstein-influenced editing technique that so many films use. This restraint lets you focus on action, reaction, and emotion in real time, without the "cheats" that an edit invariably makes. Tarkovsky, Bela Tarr, Haneke... they're masters. (Incidentally, take a look at GERRY, directed by Gus Van Sant, with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck; it's a great movie that was specifically influenced by Tarr.)
  • Like 1

It's not the shots it is the intent of the shots that matter. You can literally see Haneke's logic, and genius at work; each shot is deliberate and with a very specific purpose. It's very much not the same as leaving a camera in a corner for 15 minutes. To say that is frankly insulting, and it's like saying Anna Karenina is a long book. It's not necessarily wrong but the connotation of the way it is said is demeaning and it's dumbing it down to an unacceptable level.

I disagree with u 100%. You come ogf as very condescending Dont take me for someone with no experience. I HAVE DIRECTED befofore. Look if you see something in the film that I don't that is fine. But to me the camera was stationary the whole film it didn't move it wasn't much for directing job. You say that you can see what he intended with every shot. That is just a fancy way of saying you have no idea what he wanted to do with each shot. Sorry but yoir post comes off as incredibly pretentious.

I appreciate your insight Tele. Thank you for wording it the way that you did. You don't come off as pretentious but somebody you can actually explain why they feel the way they do.

Does everyone disagree with me if I say I thought the guy playing the husband was much better than Riva?

I think he is very good. But I do think she has 1 of the best performances of the year. She definitely deserves for nomination and if she wins I'll be very happy

I think he is very good. But I do think she has 1 of the best performances of the year. She definitely deserves for nomination and if she wins I'll be very happy

They're both great, but since she's nominated I think he should've at least been nominated as well. I certainly won't complain if she wins tho.