riczhang

70th Golden Globes - Discussion Thread (Winners in 1st Post)

I'm still kinda pissed that The Artist won so many awards. Its not a great movie, really. Come on, why didn't ya'll give the awards to A Separation of Tree of Life instead?

I liked Artist. It was in my top 4 of the year. Would've liked Tinker Tailor to have gotten more love though, that movie was perfect in every way.
  • Like 1

I have my doubts. Argo didn't even come close to maximizing its awards nomination potential while the other two did. This is usually a good tell whether the acdemy members liked the movie or not.

nomination potential?Argo isn't a big production like Life Of Pi ,Lincoln or Les Mis,and is more an "ensemble" movie than an "actors" movie(Lincoln and SLP)! Edited by efialtes76

I liked Artist. It was in my top 4 of the year. Would've liked Tinker Tailor to have gotten more love though, that movie was perfect in every way.

I think the movie is alright, the acting is good and so is the music, but I wouldnt have given it so many awards

Oh, what about Midnight in Paris? Or The Descendants? Seriously, The Artist didn't deserve to win with such a landslide when there were plenty of better movies around.

It was my favourite movie in contention. Followed closely behind by Hugo. Everything else I could've cared less for.

And what I don't get about the Artist is that everyone is slagging on it like it's Oscar bait simply because Harvey picked it up; it in fact is a fiercely independent and risky movie. It took a huge risk, and became the little movie that could, that told such a charming story and it deserves every award it got.

• Like 1

Hugo had boring lead characters, a boring mystery (if you've ever seen an image of George Melies you immediately know whats coming up as soon as Ben Kingsley makes his appearance), the attempts at comedy failed miserably and its just kinda boring. I appreciate the final 15 or so minutes when they show how Melies made his pictures but thats too little too late.

What did you think of Midnight in Paris? That was my choice for best picture, I love that fucking movie

It's charming, and nice, and it's Woody's best in some time. But, it wasn't anywhere near Woody's all time best.

It's charming, and nice, and it's Woody's best in some time. But, it wasn't anywhere near Woody's all time best.

I think its actually one his best. I have seen most of his films, and while its not as good as Manhattan, its still pretty close to cinematic perfection for me. It creates a world that you just dont want to leave, and you end up watching the movie several times. The art direction, the costumes, the soundtrack, the cinematography, Adrien Brody.. it just works beautifully.Its the best film of 2012, and one of my all time favorites.

It was, wasn't it? Its kitchen-sink drama done right, with a tight-ass script and 3 dimensional characters.

It's great. Not the best foreign language film in the past 5 years, but still a solid film. Deserved a BP nomination. Probably didn't fall too short. It did get Screenplay.