BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

Box office for The Impossible is just stunning :blink:Could double the US gross? Triple? Are they pushing it at all in the US other than for awards?

I know it, but I thought TH could be in the same level. Each LOTR movie sold 1 million more admissions than The Impossible here. But it is clear it was another time. The Impossible has been The Event of the year.I do not know what is expected The Impossible can make in US. Relative to awards, Naomi Watts has got a nomination for Golden Globes, but nothing more. I do not know if it is enough to get some interest from people.

ADMISSIONS WEEKEND

01 THE HOBBIT            785,813     785,81302 RISE OF THE GUARDIANS  98,795     564,48903 LIFE OF PI             89,099     758,46404 BREAKING DAWN 2        79.371   3,104,54905 THE IMPOSSIBLE         38,298   5,795,72906 PLAYING THE FIELD      26,547     141,49107 UNA PISTOLA EN CADA... 26,121      88,96508 HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA     22,537   1,608,18709 TINKER BELL            17,186     428,94810 ASTERIX & OBELIX       16,061     141,90711 COMME UN CHEF          15,415      72,81812 RUST AND BONE          15,217      15,21713 END OF WATCH           15,029      97,218  14 THE ORANGES            14,120      14,12015 OPERACION E            12,516      70,24016 LE CAPITAL             12,499      95,58717 SKYFALL                 9.889   1.452,15718 ARGO                    6,325     463,74119 DANS LA MAISON          5,914     194,27620 FIN                     5,501     210,691

Sincerely, I have no idea. I have not tracked presales. Some analysts give this a big drop (around 45-50%). Others not so big (about mid 30%). The fact is that holidays start today and people, in general, like the movie. My impression is that WOM is very good and drop can be better, as it seems it is happening in other European countries. But it is just my personal feeling.

Edited by peludo

http://www.hollywood...ic-films-406367

Spain Sets Box Office Record for Domestic Films

Spanish movies have already set a one-year box office record in Spain and could reach their highest domestic box office share in 27 years.

Posted Image

How 'The Impossible' Revived Spain's Recession-Hit Spirits and Box Office (Analysis)Posted Image

Spain Urged to Reconsider Tax Hike on Admissions TicketsPosted Image

Posted Image

'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2' Hits Opening Weekend Record in SpainPosted Image

Domestic releases had a market share of 17.9 percent as of Christmas Day, according to Rentrak Spain.

With $140 million (106 million euros), a box office record for Spanish films, and some 40 percent of the tickets sold in the past three months in Spain, homegrown films have revitalized a limp sector. The strong outing of homegrown fare is partly due to the smashing success of Juan Antonio Bayona's The Impossible late this year.

Even if the market share figure were to nudge down by year's end to 17.8 percent, it would still come in as the best performance in 11 years.

Edited by firedeep

http://www.hollywood...ic-films-406367

Spain Sets Box Office Record for Domestic Films

The Impossible (40 million), Tadeo Jones (17) and Tengo ganas de ti (12) add 69 million €. And now "El cuerpo" can add another 5-6 million. Few movies, but they are welcome. Spanish market is in severe crisis, but Spanish movies are nearly dead.
  • Like 1

How is Hobbit holding

I do not have numbers, but I have been seeing Hobbit today and the screen (3D HFR) was about 70-80% full. It has been my third time and twice earlier was nearly empty (20-25 people in both, opening day and first Monday). I know we are in holidays, but today and tomorrow are laborable days.(Ranking source: Rentrak https://es.twitter.com/RentrakSpain)

This sounds stupid but are labourable days bank holidays or non-bank holidays?And really glad my baby Les Mis is doing well here as well.

Well, it is not a usual laborable day, of course. There are many people with holidays (myself) and people who have to work tomorrow. It is just I find curious that today there have been 300 more people in the same show than in opening day (a normal Friday). I know it is Christmas boost but I think there is too much difference. Of course, it is just one screen...

It was a very big day here. Life of Pi, Hobbit dominated all day. Hotel Transylvania, Rise of the Guardians were the kids choices. Sold out shows for all in a lot of places.

Edited by CJohn