BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

Can anyone suggest a translation for Ocho apellidos vascos? Thanks.

It means, literally, Eight Basque surnames. Basque refers to Basque Country, a northern region of Spain. It is probably needed to say that Basque Country has its own language (beyond Spanish) and their names and surnames use to be some peculiar.

I have not seen this film, but some people compare it to Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, a 2008 French comedy, where a certain region had some peculiar language and manners. I do not like cliches, but that kind of movie could have some parallelism with a certain vision that Spanish people have about Basque people and it seems to be the argument of the movie.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, guys. According to mojo it's the best start for spanish movie sinse Lo Impossible in October 2012. 

Indeed.

And as a curiosity and to put into perspective with the Spanish market size, it would be equivalent to a 55-60 million opening in US, more or less.

Thanks a lot, guys. According to mojo it's the best start for spanish movie sinse Lo Impossible in October 2012. 

I just saw the trailer and it looks pretty funny. It's about a basque woman who take her boyfriend to the basque country to meet her family, but he is from Seville (south of spain) and he has a complete different accent when he speaks spanish and of course he doesn't speak the basque language (which is also an official language in the basque country). To be accepted the boyfriend tries to fool the girls family pretending to be basque and trying to hide his strong southern accent. It seems that people in the basque area have 8 surnames, and from there comes the tittle of the movie. 

Back to the box office, I just read on boxoffice.es that it was release only in 348 screens so the average was very good! And they are predicting it to end at around €12 M ($16.7 M). 

• Like 1

FRIDAY TOP 10

1-8 APELLIDOS VASCOS

2-HOTEL.BUDAPEST NEW

3-300

4-NON-STOP NEW

5-PEABODY Y SHERMAN

6-DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

7-LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE

8-MONUMENTS MEN

9-12 YEARS A SLAVE

10-LABOR DAY

FRIDAY TOP 10

1-8 APELLIDOS VASCOS

2-HOTEL.BUDAPEST NEW

3-300

4-NON-STOP NEW

5-PEABODY Y SHERMAN

6-DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

7-LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE

8-MONUMENTS MEN

9-12 YEARS A SLAVE

10-LABOR DAY

8 Apellidos Vascos increased 50%.Best Friday of the year.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 2

8 Apellidos Vascos increased 50%.Best Friday of the year.

Awesome!!! I saw it yesterday at a very crowded theatre. It's a great movie!!! Now I understand why it's doing so good!!!According to Telecinco News "8 Apellidos Vascos" did $6.2 M (€4.5 M) during its first 7 days!!! Edited by Henry I
  • Like 1

Awesome!!! I saw it yesterday at a very crowded theatre. It's a great movie!!! Now I understand why it's doing so good!!!According to Telecinco News "8 Apellidos Vascos" did $6.2 M (€4.5 M) during its first 7 days!!!

That is great. Telecinco did it again (after Tadeo Jones and The Impossible)

• Like 1

Awesome!!! I saw it yesterday at a very crowded theatre. It's a great movie!!! Now I understand why it's doing so good!!!According to Telecinco News "8 Apellidos Vascos" did $6.2 M (€4.5 M) during its first 7 days!!!

What do you think about foreign potential? Or it will be too hard to explain everything and make a dubbed version for people living outside of Spain? I know many people here liked Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis. 

Edited by juni78ukr

What do you think about foreign potential? Or it will be too hard to explain everything and make a dubbed version for people living outside of Spain? I know many people here liked Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis.

I think it could work in Latinamerica and maybe in Portugal, Italy or France but a dubbed version is not possible.

Saturday:

TOP 10:

1-8 APELLIDOS VASCOS (Best Saturday of the year.+70% from last week)

2-PEABODY&SHERMAN 

3-HOTEL BUDAPEST

4-300

5-NON-STOP

6-BEAUTY&BEAST

7-DALLAS BUYERS

8-MONUMENTS

9-LEGO

10-12 YEARS A SLAVE

+50% on Friday and +70% on Saturday. If OW was 2.6 million €, how much could it make this weekend, maybe 4 million € and about 8.5 million € cume? Astonishing :blink: . It already has real chances to be the biggest movie of the year.

Edit: Sunday number should not be so spectacular given today there is the Clásico at 21 hours.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

Universal reports that Ocho Apellidos Vascos (Spanish Affairs) claimed the top spot in Spain for a second weekend with $6.3 million

With a 51 percent market share, the romantic comedy's total through 10 days is $12.6 million. :blink:

Mr.Peabody& Sherman:$1.6m/$5.7m.Great hold.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 2

4.5 million €?? That's a 73% higher than OW :mouthdropped:In fact, it is the same amount that the movie did during the whole first week :o . Another "The Impossible" phenomenon. I do not dare to say where it can land...

And remember that Madrid-Barça were playing tonight!!! Can you imagine how much would it have done without that "competition"!!!
  • Like 1