baumer

A Good Day to Die Hard (Die Hard 5)

39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Well, jokes on you for going in expecting a great, smart movie. The trailer basically gave away the movie was going to be bad, yet you still went in expecting a masterpiece :unsure:

I went in expecting to have a good time. From a movie like this thats all I'm asking for.

I love dumb movies! This just wasnt at all an entertaining one

Edited by Jack Nevada

Also when did I say I was expecting a masterpiece? You made that up

Well you didn't just dislike the movie, you hated it by the sound of things. It actually made you angry and that only happens when people are stupidly expecting something great even though reviews and the trailer made it quite clear it would be bad.

Well you didn't just dislike the movie, you hated it by the sound of things. It actually made you angry and that only happens when people are stupidly expecting something great even though reviews and the trailer made it quite clear it would be bad.

I did expect it to be bad! I had looooow expectations. I went in with a sliver of hope that the movie would make me laugh or entertain me, like I've seen other bad movies do. It not only did not make me laugh, or entertain me, but it made me angry  because it went lower than my low expectations.

Edited by Jack Nevada

I did expect it to be bad! I had looooow expectations. I went in with a sliver of hope that the movie would make me laugh or entertain me, like I've seen other bad movies do. It not only did not make me laugh, or entertain me, but it made me angry  because it went lower than my low expectations.

lol

I respect everyone's opinion. If you hated it you hated it. I didn't like the third one all that much and people seewm to love that one, so go figure. I think my expectations for this were so low that I had no problem enjoying it.

• Like 1

I respect everyone's opinion. If you hated it you hated it. I didn't like the third one all that much and people seewm to love that one, so go figure. I think my expectations for this were so low that I had no problem enjoying it.

Exactly how I felt, though I wouldn't watch it again.

And thats fine. Even though your opinions on movies often make me scratch my head (or they're just plain wrong :P ) you rarely are a dick about them. You're cool.

And thats fine. Even though your opinions on movies often make me scratch my head (or they're just plain wrong :P ) you rarely are a dick about them. You're cool.

Is this a sly way of saying i'm a dick ;)

Edited by Jessie

Grade: B-

I've seen it twice now and stick by that grade, just above average, but never going to be an A film.

It's not as bad as the reviews suggest AT ALL but at this point people have their own ideas and will pile on cause it seems the "cool thing" to do. How do I know this? It's Cinemascore is a B+, it's RT Audience ranking is 82%

The plot of the film involves a character(Komarov) who has a file that it's believed contains sensitive data that could expose/ruin a political rival(Alik). It's deemed so important that the CIA has had John "Jack" McClane(Jai Courtney) set up for 3 yrs getting in deep for an extraction if/when necessary. The CIA would also like this file. At one point in the movie we go to a location where we think the file is, but what is retrieved is a glorified key that opens a safety deposit box back at his old work site in Chernoybl, that's where the file is. 

Komarov is in prison and set to testify where he will allegedly speak to the files contents. To get close Jack sets up assassination attempt on Alik, he fails(intentionally) and is taken into custody. He tells the Russian police he will testify that Komarov put him up to it. This lands him a seat in the courtroom. Word gets back home to John that Jack has been arrested and he sets out to do what he can to save his son, whom he has no idea is a CIA operative. When Alik blows up the courthouse outer wall to capture Komarov, Jack enacts his own plan to spirit Komarov away for the CIA. This is where John steps in and screws up the timetable, this spy shit has to timed to the minute apparently. CIA doesn't apparently go free hand like MI-6's agent does. 

Huge 10min car chase sequence ensues, I liked it and during this part of the first act you don't quite feel like John McClane IS John McClane. I'll grant that argument up to this point.
So when does John FEEL like John, imo it's after the escape from the hotel ballroom. When Jack lays out just what the file is about, what it contains....uranium. Now knowing he's messed up he knows they need to finish this mission. This is when John(Bruce Willis) throws the switch and is imo the scumbag terrorist killing machine we all know and love. 

I really felt the reveal that Komarov was in fact the actual bad guy was a nice twist. He had implanted his own men/agenda within Alik's organization. The idea his daughter(Irina) was selling him out and joined up with Alik was a bit of a parallel to the Jack/John family disfunction. Also the file never existed, the key opened a vault that stored skimmed Uranium that Komarov and Alik had done when they both worked at Chernoybl. Whether Alik knew the file was really the vault key is unclear as his lead stooge "the dancer" kept asking about the file even after they were in the secret Uranium vault. 

Still objectively I can agree that reviews calling the villain the worst of the series is fair. You just don't "love to hate" him. He's pretty generic and two dimensional. You love to hate the Grubers(1&3), same for Gabriel in pt.4. Taking it out of franchise you love to be able to connect with some villains like Magneto or Loki and a solid villain means it contends for an "A" grade. So imo, a B+ was the best it could attain with the villain choice and backstory.
I blame a lack of unified vision when I get moments in a trailer but not the film itself. Marketing and Editing need to be in synch. The aforementioned moment where Irina gets off the bike and unzips the jumpsuit is indeed shorter in the film, than the trailer and John is not smiling in that scene. He's not even in fucking Russia yet. As a matter of fact, having seen it twice, I can't pinpoint where that smiling moment by the concrete support is. I'm fairly certain it was edited out but even then the marketing people spliced those side/by side for affect. 

I also feel like the shirtless thug was shown quite a bit to have not actually had a fight sequence in the film. Cutting room floor again? I'm really curious to see a directors cut of the film. I bet there is another 10min at least laying around. 

The action is great and during the second act father and son start to form a bond where it was clear from the first act resentment was firmly entrenched. The Lucy moments were nice. 

It's the first to break the "non-rule" that McClane is thrust into the role of being the hero. To what degree that's broken could be debatable.

Still, this is a fun action filled movie with plenty of cool sequences that are worth seeing on the big screen. Even as the "worst" DH film it's a low B score and better than so much else. Deeming it "unwatchable" is pure hyperbole.

My Die Hard ranking:
    [*]Die Hard [*]Die Hard with a Vengeance [*]Live Free or Die Hard [*]Die Hard 2: Die Harder [*]Good Day to Die Hard

Edited by Captain Craig
  • Like 1

Grade: B-

I've seen it twice now and stick by that grade, just above average, but never going to be an A film.

It's not as bad as the reviews suggest AT ALL but at this point people have their own ideas and will pile on cause it seems the "cool thing" to do. How do I know this? It's Cinemascore is a B+, it's RT Audience ranking is 82%

The plot of the film involves a character(Komarov) who has a file that it's believed contains sensitive data that could expose/ruin a political rival(Alik). It's deemed so important that the CIA has had John "Jack" McClane(Jai Courtney) set up for 3 yrs getting in deep for an extraction if/when necessary. The CIA would also like this file. At one point in the movie we go to a location where we think the file is, but what is retrieved is a glorified key that opens a safety deposit box back at his old work site in Chernoybl, that's where the file is. 

Komarov is in prison and set to testify where he will allegedly speak to the files contents. To get close Jack sets up assassination attempt on Alik, he fails(intentionally) and is taken into custody. He tells the Russian police he will testify that Komarov put him up to it. This lands him a seat in the courtroom. Word gets back home to John that Jack has been arrested and he sets out to do what he can to save his son, whom he has no idea is a CIA operative. When Alik blows up the courthouse outer wall to capture Komarov, Jack enacts his own plan to spirit Komarov away for the CIA. This is where John steps in and screws up the timetable, this spy shit has to timed to the minute apparently. CIA doesn't apparently go free hand like MI-6's agent does. 

Huge 10min car chase sequence ensues, I liked it and during this part of the first act you don't quite feel like John McClane IS John McClane. I'll grant that argument up to this point.
So when does John FEEL like John, imo it's after the escape from the hotel ballroom. When Jack lays out just what the file is about, what it contains....uranium. Now knowing he's messed up he knows they need to finish this mission. This is when John(Bruce Willis) throws the switch and is imo the scumbag terrorist killing machine we all know and love. 

I really felt the reveal that Komarov was in fact the actual bad guy was a nice twist. He had implanted his own men/agenda within Alik's organization. The idea his daughter(Irina) was selling him out and joined up with Alik was a bit of a parallel to the Jack/John family disfunction. Also the file never existed, the key opened a vault that stored skimmed Uranium that Komarov and Alik had done when they both worked at Chernoybl. Whether Alik knew the file was really the vault key is unclear as his lead stooge "the dancer" kept asking about the file even after they were in the secret Uranium vault. 

Still objectively I can agree that reviews calling the villain the worst of the series is fair. You just don't "love to hate" him. He's pretty generic and two dimensional. You love to hate the Grubers(1&3), same for Gabriel in pt.4. Taking it out of franchise you love to be able to connect with some villains like Magneto or Loki and a solid villain means it contends for an "A" grade. So imo, a B+ was the best it could attain with the villain choice and backstory.

I blame a lack of unified vision when I get moments in a trailer but not the film itself. Marketing and Editing need to be in synch. The aforementioned moment where Irina gets off the bike and unzips the jumpsuit is indeed shorter in the film, than the trailer and John is not smiling in that scene. He's not even in fucking Russia yet. As a matter of fact, having seen it twice, I can't pinpoint where that smiling moment by the concrete support is. I'm fairly certain it was edited out but even then the marketing people spliced those side/by side for affect. 

I also feel like the shirtless thug was shown quite a bit to have not actually had a fight sequence in the film. Cutting room floor again? I'm really curious to see a directors cut of the film. I bet there is another 10min at least laying around. 

The action is great and during the second act father and son start to form a bond where it was clear from the first act resentment was firmly entrenched. The Lucy moments were nice. 

It's the first to break the "non-rule" that McClane is thrust into the role of being the hero. To what degree that's broken could be debatable.

Still, this is a fun action filled movie with plenty of cool sequences that are worth seeing on the big screen. Even as the "worst" DH film it's a low B score and better than so much else. Deeming it "unwatchable" is pure hyperbole.

My Die Hard ranking:

[*]Die Hard

[*]Die Hard with a Vengeance

[*]Live Free or Die Hard

[*]Die Hard 2: Die Harder

[*]Good Day to Die Hard

This is exactly how I felt about the film.....exactly.  Enough for a 6.5-7.  Far from terrible, but far from great....

Edited by baumer

So many sins are committed here, but the one that sticks with me is that McClane simply isn't likable anymore. He's become a sociopath robot. When John Jr. has a large screw stuck in his side and he doesn't know what to do next, McClane essentially taunts him for being a little pussy. I pretty much gave up on the character by that point. (Never mind the utter glee he now seems to take in killing people, which goes against his whole character. I couldn't help but think of how many innocent people he probably killed driving that truck over those cars during the opening chase.)

The whole John/John Jr. relationship was painfully underdeveloped. Why does John Jr. hate him so much? They pretty much gloss it over in one quick scene when John says he worked too much. That's it? Did he abandon the family? Did he finally become a full-blown alcoholic after Die Hard 3? The way John Jr. treats him, you'd think he slapped Holly around. The father/son bonding moment towards the end feels completely unearned. God, Skip Woods is an awful writer.

Just taken on its own, it's a bad movie. The issue is that it's called Die Hard, and it's just not. It's not John McClane. It bears no relation to any of the films that came before it (well, it's a much dumber, poorly-shot extension of Live Free). As for the arguments, "You knew it was gonna suck!" or "You're being too hard on it!". Tough shit. They spent $90M on a turd and labeled it as Die Hard: They've earned some scorn. 

• Like 3

Apparently I'm not allowed to quote Captain craig.

I said I agree with his review to a T....I would give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

My rankings would be:

Die Hard

Die Hard 2

Live Free or Die Hard

Die Hard 3

A Good Day to Die Hard

The audience I saw the movie seemed to love it, and it made good business at the finnish box office. Who knows, maybe people are just easily amused or I'm a hopeless snob. 

I think there is enough action in it to please people.  I can understand why people didn't like it as well.  I'm leaning towards liking it more than not, but it's not a fantastic film.