riczhang

85th Academy Awards Ceremony Thread SADNESS

Boring show last night and really illustrated that the Academy makes no sense anymore. Waltz wins for more or less the same performance he won for just 3 years ago, and Argo carries its pity party all the way to Best Picture which was entirely expected but still annoying. How can a movie be Best Picture when the only other significant award it wins is screenplay? And pretty much no directing or acting recognition? Meanwhile LOP wins VFX, score, cinematography, and directing (essentially everything that makes up a movie aside from  screenplay and acting) and doesn't win BP? Not that I'm saying I think LOP was the most deserving to win, but based on the other awards it won it made zero sense why it wouldn't win BP. And I think giving the award to Lee and not giving him BP for a second straight time was more insulting than if they hadn't given the award to him at all. On the plus side I was happy for Lawrence and Hathaway (even though Field was the better performance) and downright ecstatic Snore-More got shut out aside from Foreign. :D

Posted Image

Edited by Jack Nevada

Boring show last night and really illustrated that the Academy makes no sense anymore. Waltz wins for more or less the same performance he won for just 3 years ago, and Argo carries its pity party all the way to Best Picture which was entirely expected but still annoying. How can a movie be Best Picture when the only other significant award it wins is screenplay? And pretty much no directing or acting recognition? Meanwhile LOP wins VFX, score, cinematography, and directing (essentially everything that makes up a movie aside from screenplay and acting) and doesn't win BP? Not that I'm saying I think LOP was the most deserving to win, but based on the other awards it won it made zero sense why it wouldn't win BP. And I think giving the award to Lee and not giving him BP for a second straight time was more insulting than if they hadn't given the award to him at all. On the plus side I was happy for Lawrence and Hathaway (even though Field was the better performance) and downright ecstatic Snore-More got shut out aside from Foreign. :D

You're lucky the Riva Star got blown up last night or I'd blast you to smithereens. But I warn you. When my new Meryl Star is finished being built I will turn you into ashes. And besides that anyone who thinks Field gave even a halfway decent performance should be banned for life. That thought makes me sick. Field gave an all time Razzie worthy performance only topped by Knightmare minus AK. And Waltz didn't give a carbon copy performance. Just GTFO.

Field was definitely not the better performance not even close.

I love Anne and her IDAD performance is gut wrenching, but the performance begins and ends at that. Without it she would have gotten zero awards recognition. So sorry but a 3 minute scene is not enough to deserve to win in my opinion, no matter how great the scene is. Field commands the screen whenever she's on, and that is one insanely impressive feat given the fact that she's competing alongside one of the greatest acting performances of this generation. Without her "support" DDL could not have given quite as mesmerizing of a performance as he did, and that's what a great supporting role should do. Be memorable on  its own, but also support and elevate the leads. Again I was happy for Anne though because she's one of my favorite young actresses and Field has won twice.

Boring show last night and really illustrated that the Academy makes no sense anymore. Waltz wins for more or less the same performance he won for just 3 years ago, and Argo carries its pity party all the way to Best Picture which was entirely expected but still annoying. How can a movie be Best Picture when the only other significant award it wins is screenplay? And pretty much no directing or acting recognition? Meanwhile LOP wins VFX, score, cinematography, and directing (essentially everything that makes up a movie aside from  screenplay and acting) and doesn't win BP? Not that I'm saying I think LOP was the most deserving to win, but based on the other awards it won it made zero sense why it wouldn't win BP. And I think giving the award to Lee and not giving him BP for a second straight time was more insulting than if they hadn't given the award to him at all. On the plus side I was happy for Lawrence and Hathaway (even though Field was the better performance) and downright ecstatic Snore-More got shut out aside from Foreign. :D

The Academy definitely has its questionable decisions, but statements like these remind me that while not always great........it could always be much, much worse.  

You either didn't watch one or both of those performances, or you need to stop analyzing film, IMO.

There's nothing "pathetic" about Field's performance and anyone who thinks so should be the one banned form analyzing film. Honesty I've never heard the opinion that Hathaway blows Field away outside this board. Real film analysts agree the performances are both great. But Field DID do more and hence why she was more deserving just based on the performance. Hathaway was more deserving though if you're going by the basis that Field has already had more than her fair share of time in the sun. And that's why Anne won most places (though Field won more places at the beginning of the season I'll remind people).

You know what I wish. I wish that when Nolan was snubbed for Inception, that the Guilds did the same thing that happened with Afflec. First, Inception is the better film. Second, Nolan has a better filmography than Nolan. Third, Inception is a badass movie. So, why the fuck is that when Affleck is snubbed, suddenly his film has to win BP. Fucking Academy.

There's nothing "pathetic" about Field's performance and anyone who thinks so should be the one banned form analyzing film. Honesty I've never heard the opinion that Hathaway blows Field away outside this board. Real film analysts agree the performances are both great. But Field DID do more and hence why she was more deserving just based on the performance. Hathaway was more deserving though if you're going by the basis that Field has already had more than her fair share of time in the sun. And that's why Anne won most places (though Field won more places at the beginning of the season I'll remind people).

Well thats just like.. your opinion, man