riczhang

85th Academy Awards Ceremony Thread SADNESS

They possibly could've gotten around that. Beasts was financed in the weirdest way ever, so far from conventional that when I heard about it I was surprised they even got it to work. 

That's illegal.

http://governmentinfo.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/u-s-labor-department-releases-new-internship-rules/

Amateurish movie? with a $1.4 million dollar budget and being picked up to make profits in theaters and compete major awards. Yeah, right.

Well, here's the crux of the issue. How are these kids supposed to get jobs in the industry? Your school projects are near worthless, unless your talent is so insane you just blow someone away. The kids aren't working for free, they're getting valuable job experience AND shots they can put on their reel which actually would help them find work later. This isn't limited to schools either -- there are plenty of jobs that are openly "food/credit/reel" only (for all sorts of jobs, not just VFX); these are usually either short films, music videos, student productions, and the like although no-budget and low-budget features do this as well. The expectation is that you are not skilled as a professional but in return for learning on the job and your talent (such as it is) you will receive paid meals (if you're on the production crew), a credit, and clips you can use for your reel. These last two items are worth more in the long run than the few dozen dollars/day you'd get otherwise.

The trouble comes when you're trying to actually do this for a career and need to support a family. Since most VFX crew get hired (technically) as project staff, they aren't considered core staff employees, so they don't get benefits or pension (or greatly reduced benefits), they can be cut from the job at almost any time (and usually are technically "let go" as soon as a feature ends, even if they're rolling right into the next feature for the company a week or two later), and have to work extremely long hours without the benefits of decent turnaround, golden time, etc. Add to that the fact that the schedules are often ridiculously tight because the studios are trying to squeeze every drop from the budget.

Pretty much. These kids have something pretty substantial to put on their CV now. Working on the sets of Beasts, 4 time Oscar nominee. Picture, Director, Actor, Screenplay. 

I'm fairly sure these guys would've been geeked out of their minds to have the opportunity to work on an actual feature with the prospect of distribution, let alone one that would gain such critical buzz.

They possibly could've gotten around that. Beasts was financed in the weirdest way ever, so far from conventional that when I heard about it I was surprised they even got it to work. 

As someone who studied CGI, I'd like to know how they got around the fact of using softwares to do professional VFX for a feature film that made profits in student courses setting for free. Softwares that are bought for educational purpose only because using the license for a commercial purpose is illegal. There's something fishy.

@Telemachos:

Working for free to lend an underpaid gig because studios know that you did it for free in the first instance to get there. It only helps to devalue the work of CG artists at low wages or not pay them at all. See Digital Domain and Rythm And Hues situation. That's the consequence. Don't matter how much you work hard, you are pissed upon every single member of this industry that wants to discount visual effects for a minimum cost and maximum rendering in the shortest deadlines. (And audience barfing "CGI sucks!")

Edited by dashrendar44

As someone who studied CGI, I'd like to know how they got around the fact of using softwares to do professional VFX for a feature film that made profits in student courses setting for free. Softwares that are bought for educational purpose only because using the license for a commercial purpose is illegal. There's something fishy.

They could've financed the movie as a charity which would get around that I believe. They they could've auctioned off the movie to Fox Searchlight,

So where did all these JLaw fans come from?  Really was it the Hunger Games? Cause I swear none of you guys were checking for her in X First Class. Now all of a sudden everybody is smitten, lol.

THG. Devin Faraci tweeted earlier that he feels sorry for JLaw because the backlash against her is going to be way worse. I agree. If you love sports then you know that bandwagon fans are the worst and JLaw has a lot of them right now.

@Telemachos:

Working for free to lend an underpaid gig because studios know that you did it for free in the first instance to get there. It only helps to de-evaluate the work of CG artists at low wages or not pay them at all. See Digital Domain and Rythm And Hues situation. That's the consequence.

Well, of course it didn't make a profit! Hollywood accounting, the best in the biz! ;) (Actually, it's quite possible that the production company/collective didn't turn much of a profit at all, if any, since their cut is probably the distribution fee and nothing more).

In terms of the second point, this is not something studios do at all (get students to work for free, or offer credit/reel in lieu of pay). It's independent production companies and/or individuals working at the margins of the industry... and usually it's the only way to get a project made. There's not an easy answer there at all, because often you have *everyone* working for free or for practically nothing (producer and director included) -- the reason being that 99% of these projects are never picked up for any sort of distribution and even if they are, usually don't come remotely close to making back their production costs (even though they were ridiculously low to begin with).

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that IMO the main problem starts at the top and not the bottom.

Because to many people a movie can be more than the sum of its technical parts. It's not to say they didn't like the technical aspects, merely that they felt they didn't distinguish themselves beyond the other nominees.ARGO was liked enough that if Affleck had been nominated for BD, he would've won and not Ang Lee.

So why didn't Affleck get nominated. Other Directors jealous of him.

THG. Devin Faraci tweeted earlier that he feels sorry for JLaw because the backlash against her is going to be way worse. I agree. If you love sports then you know that bandwagon fans are the worst and JLaw has a lot of them right now.

You've got to be an absolute retard to give JLaw backlash for her performance in SLP

So why didn't Affleck get nominated. Other Directors jealous of him.

There were several odd choices (Affleck and/or Bigelow not getting noms in favor of Zeitlin is staggering). What probably happened is many people figured Affleck and Bigelow were shoo-ins (they were considered BD "locks") so they voted for a lesser-known person to throw them a bone (or for the director of their favorite movie if it wasn't ZDT or ARGO). If enough people did that, the unintended consequence was Affleck/Bigelow missing out on the nomination. There's also some speculation that the screwup with the online voting procedures meant a significant number of voters ended up not voting, because it was too much of a hassle.

students doing a collaborative project= freestudents doing work for an outside party = paid

Working for free (they got student loans and tuitions so they pay the right to work for free) to acquire "prestige" on a motion picture made for commercial purpose (robbing a competent worker to do so) to lend a job in a VFX studio that goes bankrupt because of ridiculous discount pressured by majors executives. It's a conundrum. Not good for the VFX industry.

Edited by dashrendar44

So where did all these JLaw fans come from?  Really was it the Hunger Games? Cause I swear none of you guys were checking for her in X First Class. Now all of a sudden everybody is smitten, lol.

I always thought she was cute, but her personality that's come through these last few months is what's really attractive about her.