riczhang

85th Academy Awards Ceremony Thread SADNESS

Sorry but i have nothing against JLaw (unlike SOME people who hate people for no reason), BUT whoever dresses her and does her hair needs putting down. She doesnt have the face for hair like they are giving her. Makes her look like a puffy faced kid playing dress up with her granny, and yes she has horrible knees.

Posted Image

• Like 1

So where did all these JLaw fans come from?  Really was it the Hunger Games? Cause I swear none of you guys were checking for her in X First Class. Now all of a sudden everybody is smitten, lol.

She was amazing, perfect etc in THG (and Winter's Bone for those who saw it) but I think what seals the deal for everyone is revelation of her goofball personality during THG promo last year. The comments, gifs, that's the dealmaker.

• Like 1

She was amazing, perfect etc in THG (and Winter's Bone for those who saw it) but I think what seals the deal for everyone is revelation of her goofball personality during THG promo last year. The comments, gifs, that's the dealmaker.

I agree about Winter's Bone. I think that is her best performance to date.

students doing a collaborative project= freestudents doing work for an outside party = paid

...I sympathize. At the same time, what sort of rate should they get? There are many micro-budget productions where industry professionals (in all tech categories) work for less than what a PA makes. So what should students receive? Or should these productions go away?

...I sympathize. At the same time, what sort of rate should they get? There are many micro-budget productions where industry professionals (in all tech categories) work for less than what a PA makes. So what should students receive? Or should these productions go away?

I'm in a film right now and not getting paid. I'm not complaining either.

Edited by CloneWars

I'm in a film right now and not getting paid. I'm not complaining either.

It's pretty much how everyone starts, one way or another. I know some interns brought a lawsuit against Fox a year or so ago; I don't know what the outcome of that was. And while I'm all for every artist in every field getting the opportunity for a fair wage (I am, after all, a member of a couple of guilds, so it would be hypocritical for me to not want this), at the same time, in these entry-level positions and at the bottom-level of production budgets (anything under a million or so, really), nobody's getting fooled or caught off guard by not getting paid. It's front-and-center in front of every job possibility or interview. People are welcome to pass on it... but the positive aspect of taking it on is the ability to accept a job above and beyond your existing pay-grade. So a second assistant cameraman will do it to be a first AC, the camera operator or gaffer will do it to be a DP, a key set PA might do it to be a second AD, that sort of thing.

I was a fan after her first academy award nomination and first interview for hg

I was a fan after Winter's Bone which I thought deserved to win. But, I've jumped off after Lawsbianism became mainstream and it took over everywhere. 

You rethink your project. You want fancy VFX that don't look crappy? You gotta pay for it. Or do it yourself. Or shape the project in a way that don't resort on fancy VFX work in the first place.

Did you know some small VFX companies (professionnal) turned off the Beasts gig? Why? Because they find out the producers were not willing to pay them and played the pity tune so after their refusal because they got to eat, those producers went after a school of gullible starving students to do it for free.

Why everyone on those productions worked for less (but at least get paid somehow) but VFX workers got to do it for free?

Edited by dashrendar44

You rethink your project. You want fancy VFX that don't look crappy? You gotta pay for it. Or do it yourself. Or shape the project in a way that don't resort on fancy VFX work in the first place.

Did you know some small VFX companies (professionnal) turned off the Beasts gig? Why? Because they find out the producers were not willing to pay them and played the pity tune so after their refusal because they got to eat, those producers went after a school of gullible starving students to do it for free.

Why everyone on those productions worked for less (but at least get paid somehow) but VFX workers got to do it for free?

I didn't say VFX workers should do it for free. And I applaud the small VFX companies that turned 'em down -- obviously they know their business model and what they need to bring in to keep their shops open.

My larger point is that for entry-level work, it is not just VFX but everyone who takes a hit of some sort, and they do it willingly because it furthers their careers. 

But if they let that trend grows they will not have "careers" anymore since more and more companies are being shut down cause they're discounting their prices under the bar of breaking even. What if a studio you're looking to apply for a paid gig says "I won't hire you, you cost me too much, I could go to your school that'll do the same quality work for me, for free". Basically, you screw yourself because there's hundred of fresh meat behind you that are willing to do what you did to lend a low paid gig in the first place.

Edited by dashrendar44