This needs a bump, after the amazing win last night. :congrats:  :congrats:  :congrats:

Pixar's back baby and it was amazing to see both Chapman & Andrews accept the award. :wub:  :wub:

Was really glad to see Chapman up there.  Not sure what this means in terms of internal politics (she did leave Pixar, right?), but I think it's only right that she got the trophy as well.

I was surprised to see Brave win this but I think it's just as deserving as the others.  I still think it was unfairly reviewed.  I know the Oscars are very politicky so this arguably has to do with John Lasseter's ability to Weinstein the voters, but at the same time, I'm glad it got recognized like that and happy for the folks who worked on it.

That said - curious what Disney animators think about this.  They busted their butt on WiR, they got better reviews than Brave, and they still don't get pushed by their studio above the other movie?  Disney could have won the Oscar with WiR easily as well I think.

It's hard for me to be objective about this because personally I did like Brave the most out of the nominees, but I can't really argue with those accusing Pixar of "Weinsteining" the movie considering its apparent general reception.

All I'll say is I'm glad Chapman finally showed up.

WIR was a much more polished production, but I'm not sure that it's under-the-skin depth was deep in any special way. Brave had many flaws, which hurts its critical reception, but it did have some strength in character/emotion. + it had the feminist side of it.

Did Andrews really rock that kilt-suit or was I dreaming last night?

I am so pleased, Brave really deserved to win because it is one of the most underrated animated films.

WIR is great, but nothing special compared to Brave, and here is saying someone who loves video games to death and can't wait to see WIR 2

I'm a Pixar nerd...but Brave left me cold this year.   My favorite animated movie was Rise of the Guardians...and it wasn't even nominated.

What are you gonna do?  It's art...there is no answer to the question "which one is best?"    No matter which movie "won" people would disagree....as usual.

I slightly like WIR better than Brave but except for Pirates I would've been happy to see any of the 4 winning.

And come on, the critical reception isn't that bad. Yes it's mediocre for Pixar standards but I think regular people liked it  enough and the production is really polished with the beautiful landscapes and such. So I think people should not be surprised if a lot of the industry people liked it and how it appealed to a lot of the Academy members (the mother-daughter rift is very relatable).

And the win was not totally a surprise, it was neck in neck with WIR in the precursors. WIR won the Annies (Animators) and PGA (Producers) but Brave swept a lot of the technical guilds (Visual Effects, Sound etc) plus the BAFTA win was also an indicator. And let's not forget that everybody in the Academy can vote for it and Brave is the highest grossing animated film last year in the US (although WIR box office cume is great as well) so there's a chance that more people in the Academy saw it and loved it first. WIR had better reviews but it didn't have the loud, dominating positive reviews of the previous Animated Feature frontrunners so this was really a race this year. But yeah I won't deny that if Pixar made WIR it could have been the winner.

Anyway, I was so happy to see Chapman on stage to receive the award. I watched their press interview online and you could see it in her eyes how happy she was that Brave won. I feel like she worked very hard on this and despite the issues that forced her to step down, this was still a special project coz it's a personal one. It seems like she and Mark Andrews are on good terms. For that alone, I'm very happy Brave won.

Edited by forg

Disney pushed Paperman a lot so it won.  I wanted Ralph to win because ever since the Animated Feature was introduced they haven't won with their in-house animation projects and I was hoping Ralph would be the one to do so

I guess Disney's Oscar team was torn between their three bets this year. Initially, they were pushing for Frankenweenie more but it lost steam quickly then for a time they gave WIR some attention but Brave got momentum towards the end with BAFTA and the guilds. But I gotta say though Brave's FYC ads online looked better than WIR.

Let's see next year with Frozen vs Monsters University. Who knows maybe Planes could pull a surprise and be the one to be critically adored  :D

Edited by forg

Maybe the plan is to push Frozen next year.  Monster's U looks like a crowd pleaser, but if we're going by "Oscar-winning tone," Disney's best bet is probably Frozen.

Agree with the "Oscar winning tone" that Frozen seems like it has it over Monsters U. I think that also factored in with Brave vs Wreck-It Ralph. I guess the video game theme is something that didn't appeal to the voters, especially the old ones because it is not as elegant as Scotland