Clawing Back From the Abyss

Sort of the companion thread to "And It Was Going So Well"

Whereas that thread was about films that were going good to great before a big roadbump derails the whole thing, this thread is about films that were going mediocre or poorly but then suddenly everything starts to click and the result is the film gets saved from a bad grade to an average or even good one.

An example for me is Terminator 3. The first hour is very clunky and awkwardly campy and has lots of tonal and character issues. But then they travel to the Mojave to try and stop Skynet and things start to fall in place with the mood and the action and it results in a terrific finale with Judgment Day hitting. Still not the Terminator movie we deserved to get, but at least it's half a great film.

• Like 2

POTC: DEAD MAN'S CHEST. it's really awkward the way it starts in medias res and getting all the characters to the cannibal island is equally rough. But it starts to find its demented step as they rescue Jack, and once Davy Jones is introduced it just steamrolls.

This. The movie starts really bad with nobody-gives-a-shit wedding that is mercifully interrupted and tons of always insufferably boring Willabeth shit and than that overlong Cannibal Island sequence so you can fastforward through first 40 minutes of so and than the ball suddenly starts rolling and getting better and better and OMG the ending! Too bad AWE was dross from start to finish.

Edited by fishnets

The Two Towers. Still not a great film imo but the first hour or so kind of dragged for me with the Wormtongue and the King and all that but once they go on their way to Minas Tirith and of course the Battle of Helms Deep, well, it became a much better movie at that point.Amour. I found the first 30 minutes or so to be really boring, so much that I was kind of hating it. And then about the time when the stroke happens, it just became brilliant and I loved it after that.

Edited by baumer