Jack Nevada

Festival de Cannes 2013 (Screening tomorrow THE IMMIGRANT starring Joaquin Phoenix)

Alright people, here's the thread for the biggest movie festival in the world that is once again held in May in Cannes, France. Steven Spielberg has been announced as the head of the Main Competition Jury, and Oscar-nominee Jane Campion leads the Cinefoundation and Short Film juries.

Edited by Jack Nevada

Fruitvale will probably screen out of competition, and I believe would be eligible for a few awards. But, Cannes won't ever award a film that they got second hand, most likely. 

I imagine that Bling Ring will screen there. Behind the Candelabra is also a possibility, but this will be OOC. I know that the rumour was that Gatsby will open the festival, but it looks unlikely as Cannes starts 15 May, and Gatsby opens in the States 10 May. Steve McQueen's Twelve Years a Slave also looks like a good bet, along with Asghar Fadhari's The Past. And Dolan. :wub: I want to say Lars as well, but since he got banned from the last festival I'm not quite sure they'll select him again. 

How about the new Woody Allen? Quite a few of his pictures have been shown at Cannes before

Possibly. There sure is a lot of American films vying for a spot, I imagine that there'll be a few famous names left off. 

I dont think the new Von Trier is getting in. I can see people still being upset over his, admittedly stupid, blooper in 2011.

What about Turbo? Dreamworks movies have often premiered at Cannes 

Edited by Jack Nevada

Before Midnight seems like a very unlikely opening film--I doubt Cannes is going to give such a high-profile slot to something that's already screened at two other festivals. It'll still be in the lineup as long as it doesn't play anywhere outside the U.S. before Cannes.

And we already know von Trier won't be at the festival because the movie won't be ready on time. As for other possibilities, Jarmusch, Gondry, Breillat, Desplechin, Porumboiu, Egoyan, Ozon, Moodysson, Jeunet, Spike Jonze, Kelly Reichardt, Brillante Mendoza, Claire Denis, Guillaume Canet, Errol Morris, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, and Bong Joon-ho all have movies that shot last year and should be ready for Cannes, assuming there haven't been any post-production snags. This doesn't mean they'll all be there--some may be turned down, some may be held back for Toronto/Venice (for example, Jeunet's The Young and Prodigious Spivet and Egoyan's Devil's Knot have October release dates and heavy Canadian involvement, so they're better candidates for Toronto). But none of them would be surprises.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

If Harvey plans to make a big push for Fruitvale during the awards season then there is a pretty good chance that they won't send it to Cannes. Bling Ring is a good bet but it may screen out of competition.

Why wouldn't they send it to Cannes? If it won an award the movie would obviously get more attention, like The Artist