Rocky VI  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

*** This review may contain spoilers ***WOW!! That is first word that comes to mind 12 hours after sitting down to watch the film. My expectations for the film were quite high after seeing the trailer and watching Stallone look like he recaptured some old magic. And he doesn't disappoint. This is a film that is on par with the first and second as per the story and the power that Rocky still has over us. I would dare to say that this is one of the best films of the year and if the academy had any original thinkers, then they would nominate this film for best screenplay. It is engrossing, uplifting and has its heart in the right place. This is the surprise of the year and if anyone has a soft spot for Rocky, this film will thrill you. It's makes you want to be a better man. And for that I wish I could thank Stallone for creating Rocky.The story is the strength of the film. Adrian has passed away and Rocky now lives a simple life. He runs a restaurant that bears his wife's name and he has all of his memorabilia on the walls. He even has a frequent visitor in Spider Rico, his first opponent in Rocky. Rocky makes a humble living and he regales his customers with old boxing stories and poses for pictures with his patrons. His son doesn't seem to come around too often and is going through a bit of a rough time trying to step out of his dad's shadow. Rocky misses Adrian but he also misses the ring. Every once in a while, you can see the "beast" inside of him. And he knows it too. But at his age, he knows his best days have past him by. But then, ESPN creates a computer program that pits the reigning champ against the old champ. And Balboa wins the computer fight. Because the current champ is relatively disliked for not having any heart, his handlers conjure up an idea to get Balboa in the ring for an exhibition. The idea is to build some love for the current champ by aligning him with a beloved one.The script is the best part of the film and Stallone develops all of his characters beautifully. This film is much more reminiscent of the first two than it is 3 and 4. It is also a film that makes you want to cheer. And that is a powerful thing.Sylvester Stallone knows Rocky Balboa. He created him after all. And he knows why we like him. He is a good man, he has a sense of humour and he is tough a nails. He spirit imbues what it means to never say die. It is a spirit than all of us can relate to and succumb to. This is a character who had it all, lost it all and still has a bit more to give. This isn't about winning, or even about losing, it's about "how hard you get hit and yet still keep coming." How can you not be inspired by words like that? Rocky Balboa is a movie that is not just a movie, it's about life. After the disappointing fifth film, it took a lot of guts to write another one and try to get the financing for it. Nice to see Irwin Winkler taking another chance on this one and it is going to pay off handsomely. I think World Wide this could do more than 150 million and it is already resonating with those that have seen it.This has the feel of the originals. It has Philly in the raw, Paulie is just as good as he ever was and there is even a nice subplot about an old neighbourhood girl, Little Marie, that Rocky helps out.The film loses half a point as the training sequences could have been longer and the fight could have been choreographed a bit better. I think there is a 2 hour version of the film out there that we'll see on DVD, but for the sake of maximizing the amount of showings, it has been trimmed down to 102 minutes. This doesn't take away from the power of the film however. It just keeps it from being perfect.One final note about Rocky. It is a bit of a personal one, but it perhaps transcends an individual opinion and might speak for many of us. Rocky is the ultimate character that so many of us can relate to. Most of us have something that is desperately trying to get out of us. And most of us don't know how to get it out. Rocky epitomizes that human spirit that exists in all of us. This film is a perfect example and a beacon of light for many of us. Like I said, this film makes you want to be a better person, and for that I'd like to thank Stallone for making 5 and 3/4 great Rocky films (Rocky V was great up until the last 15 minutes). They inspire me, and they make me want to find all that stuff in the basement and make it work for me. Corny? Perhaps. But true nonetheless. Thanks Sly.9.5/10

• Like 3

Agreed. His speech to his son is incredible.I won't even try to put it better than baumer since he already did it so well. Plus we are in the same boat when it comes to the Rocky movies.Definitely a great send off for the character and series.A

• Like 1

Rocky Greatest Moments: Volume 1
It doesn't make sense at times, it's messy, some subplots doesn't have their conclusion and its themes were already used in the previous films. It has the worst fight of the series and the training montage is too out of place and fan servicey.

Rocky V -80/100
Rocky +75/100
Rocky II -60/100
Rocky III +50/100
Rocky Balboa -50/100
Rocky IV +35/100

Edited by Goffe

For the first time since Rocky II, a Rocky sequel that is actually deserving of the prestige the Rocky franchise has. Oddly enough, this is the only Rocky movie that totally goes downhill once the boxing is introduced. The montages feel phoned in, and the fight feels like something you watch on TV at its best, and at its worst, it's totally incomprehensible with quick cuts and odd color grading. The character drama is better than it's been since the original Rocky, with feelings of regret and the need for one last win permeating the picture. Although obviously Stallone shines brightest, seeing Paulie, Robert, and even Marie one more time is delightful and all three actors give good performances. Adrian's presence is huge despite her never appearing, and ultimately, Stallone does her character justice by showing Rocky's grief. Rocky Balboa is a great finale to a franchise that often isn't as good as its main character is lovable. B