Impact

Animated Feature-2013

Summer Wars was pretty good, yeah. It's not quite top tier for me, but very solid.

2012 also had The Wolf Children, which hit at about the same level. I hope Hosoda can really break out with a truly great film soon.

Considering Wolf Children is my other joint 2nd favourite film of all time, I'd say I think he's already more than broken out. 

Also, completely forgot to mention Wolf Children in 2012. That definitely pushes it up, but I still think it was a weak year overall.

Hopefully, we can all agree that 2010 was the best year in animation EVER!

We can agree it's one of the best years. Whether I'd call it the best is arguable.

I really can't think of a better year.

1988 (Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbour Totoro, The Land Before Time + Who Framed Roger Rabbit (arguably counts)), 1999 (The Iron Giant, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, South Park, Tarzan, Toy Story and (arguably) My Neighbours the Yamadas + Fantasia 2000), 2001 (Spirited Away, Shrek, Monsters Inc, Millenium Actress + Cowboy Bebop: The Movie) and the aforementioned 2009 are all at least on the same level as 2010 for me.

I hesitate to call any of them better or worse than each other though since that would mean taking into account the bad movies (most of which I haven't seen) as well as the good.

Edited by rukaio101

Heh. I think it's the best year animation has had, but TS3 isn't the primary reason for that.

Not sure. Megamind was quite good and I didn't like HTTYD. Alpha was quite good, loved legends and tangled and despicable me are fantastic. TS3 is the best ever. I've just realised how bad 2007 was. The pretty bad and boring bee movie. The terrible Beowulf. Surfs up was average. Ratatouille was shit. Meet the robinsons was a fucking disaster and pleas eld not get me started on happily never after. I thought shrek 3 was quite good and I loved Simpsons movie2006 was really mixed. The amazing happy feet, barnyard and curious George which I love but I hated cars, over the hedge, open season, Arthur and the invisibles, monster house. The wild was bad and ice age 2 was ok.IMO, 2005 was the bestMadagascar and Wallace and gromit are classics. I love SPONGEBOB (2005 here) and magic roundabout. Laura's star was great. Clifford's rally big movie (2005 here) was great. Valiant is amazing and so is poohs HEFFALUMP movie

I've just realised how bad 2007 was. The pretty bad and boring bee movie. The terrible Beowulf. Surfs up was average. Ratatouille was shit. Meet the robinsons was a fucking disaster and pleas eld not get me started on happily never after. I thought shrek 3 was quite good and I loved Simpsons movie

Whoooah, what the hell is this? Beowulf kicked ass.

Honestly, 2007 was actually pretty good. We got 5cm per second, Beowulf, Persepolis, Ratatouille (although I think it's pretty overrated), Simpsons and Sword of the Stranger. Although admittedly there is a lot of crap in there.

2006 was the nadir. A lot of bland talking animal films and the race was a dead heat between Happy Feet and Cars

This I can pretty much agree with. Both Pixar and Ghibli stumbled badly that year.

The only real highlight was Paprika. And, to a lesser extent, The Girl who Leapt through Time and Flushed Away. Those were the only 3 films I liked that year.

1998 was a pretty good year, too. A Bug's Life might be a weaker Pixar effort overall, but it's still quite good. Mulan is an upper tier Disney effort. And I'd completely forgotten about The Prince of Egypt, and that it was Dreamworks, which also had Antz as a not-great, but not terrible release.

I'm not sure about any great anime releases that year, though.

1997 had Perfect Blue (good, but still Satoshi Kon's weakest film) and Princess Mononoke, but Hercules is an... uneven Disney effort, to say the least. I suppose Anastasia isn't bad for something from another studio.

1988 (Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbour Totoro, The Land Before Time + Who Framed Roger Rabbit (arguably counts)), 1999 (The Iron Giant, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, South Park, Tarzan, Toy Story and (arguably) My Neighbours the Yamadas + Fantasia 2000), 2001 (Spirited Away, Shrek, Monsters Inc, Millenium Actress + Cowboy Bebop: The Movie) and the aforementioned 2009 are all at least on the same level as 2010 for me.

I hesitate to call any of them better or worse than each other though since that would mean taking into account the bad movies (most of which I haven't seen) as well as the good.

2001 is definitely my favourite year.

2006 was the nadir. A lot of bland talking animal films and the race was a dead heat between Happy Feet and Cars

Oh, god, Flushed Away, Over the Hedge, The Wild, Open Season... Just horrible.

1998 was a pretty good year, too. A Bug's Life might be a weaker Pixar effort overall, but it's still quite good. Mulan is an upper tier Disney effort. And I'd completely forgotten about The Prince of Egypt, and that it was Dreamworks, which also had Antz as a not-great, but not terrible release.

I'm not sure about any great anime releases that year, though.

1997 had Perfect Blue (good, but still Satoshi Kon's weakest film) and Princess Mononoke, but Hercules is an... uneven Disney effort, to say the least. I suppose Anastasia isn't bad for something from another studio.

Anastasia is pretty strong. I'm surprised Fox Animation never tried to replicate its success with movies in the same vein.

2012 was a pretty underrated year. The wonderful ParaNorman, Wreck-It Ralph and Rise of the Guardians, the really fun Madagascar 3 and the watchable Brave (seriously, how the heck did THAT win Best Animation Feature?). Hotel Transylvania was a big NO though. And Frankenweenie lost its way.. even though it had potential.

Edited by Spidey Freak

I loved Wreck-It Ralph and enjoyed ParaNorman and Brave. Haven't seen Madagascar 3 yet... didn't get why Rise of the Guardians got so much love though, just felt SO mechanical to me. It doesn't help at all that people who enjoy both movies think it's a great idea to 'ship' Elsa with Jack Frost, so because of half the Frozen fandom I'm not allowed to forget about it. Regardless of how confused I get by the appeal of shipping to begin with, the fact it's Elsa, one of the most wonderfully and refreshingly written animated heroines of recent times being compared with... anything from that movie... it's almost offensive. Ugh. 

Anyway, off-topic rant over... 2013 was still better for me personally. The incredible Frozen and very enjoyable Monsters University and Despicable Me 2 are better than pretty much anything from last year except Wreck-It Ralph, which in turn wasn't quite as good as Frozen. 

WiR is amazing, and probably should have won the Oscar. However, I can't entirely fault Brave as the choice. I think it's probably Pixar's most underrated release, especially since consensus seems to be that it's terrible. It has technical flaws, but the storytelling decisions are amazing. (Seriously: a four-quadrant film that focuses on the relationship between a mother and daughter is astounding.)

Paranorman also deserves praise. First obviously gay character in an American feature animation, I believe.

Rise is fun, but not great. It might be one of the stronger Dreamworks efforts, but that's not especially difficult, given how bad some of them are.

From all the Dreamworks I've seen... 

Great: 

Chicken Run

How To Train Your Dragon

Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit 

Good: 

Madagascar

Antz

The Prince of Egypt 

Shrek 

Shrek 2 

Meh:

Antz

Kung Fu Panda

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

The Croods

Turbo 

Ugh:

Kung Fu Panda 2

Rise of the Guardians

Shrek The Third

Shrek Forever After

Megamind

Over The Hedge

Just why:

Shark Tale

Bee Movie

Problem is, their immediate decision to announce not one, but TWO sequels to 'Dragon just because it went down pretty well kind of shows them to too $$$ orientated compared to their rivals, and it kind of shows. I just struggle to see how you would have the material likely to match up to the original to warrant TWO sequels right off the bat before they knew it was even happening and before they even knew how well the first sequel goes down. And it's shown them up in the past with Shrek 3 and 4. 

Edited by Dan9