baumer

Inside Man (2006)

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I really liked Inside Man. It had a lot of personality and even a touch of heart.

While it was always going to be a straightforward heist film with some kind of twist, I didn't work it out ahead of time.

Denzel did a really good rendition of a likeable version of himself from other movies, which is really all you need from him, and Clive Owen was well-cast to play the bank robber.

Little touches, like the bit where he talks to the kid about video games, keep it interesting while you're waiting for the big reveal, and some of the interview segments were laugh out loud funny, too.

Most movies come go, especially these days, but I can remember almost all of Inside Man.

I re-watched it a few weeks ago (coincidentally, on the exact day that I saw it in the cinema ten years ago), and it's still a pretty solid flick. The script could have used further polishing, but Spike Lee still has such a feel for the cultural tapestry of New York - especially in a tense time that was still only half-a-decade removed from 9/11 - that the film feels  much more vibrant and authentic than a standard order heist and/or cops-and-robbers film.

B+