Blankments

Disney Lays Off Hand-Drawn Animation Division

According to former Disney animator Tom Bancroft on Twitter, Disney gutted their hand-drawn animation division this afternoon, and laid off some of the studio’s biggest names: Nik Ranieri, Ruben Aquino, Frans Vischer, Russ Edmonds, Brian Ferguson, Jamie Lopez and Dan Tanaka. Two of the animators who still have jobs are Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn. The news of cuts in their animation division was leaked last week, but I, for one, did not anticipate that all these top animators would be let go. We’ve reached out to the studio for comment.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/breaking-disney-just-gutted-their-hand-drawn-animation-division-81043.html

This is a sad day... :(

I believe it was.

It's a sad day.  I still love watching hand drawn features.  Though I think there's a misconception among the higher ups in Disney and even Dreamworks that the public didn't want to see hand drawn features.  The reason why Disney's hand drawn output faltered is some of the stories weren't the strongest.  Though I love Atlantis and Treasure Planet. 

From what I've been reading is they haven't had a true 2D department for sometime now and that the animators who were laid off weren't being pushed out because 2D was out and CGI was in. It was what what most companies do when they lay off workers they usually go for the older workers

I believe it was.

It's a sad day.  I still love watching hand drawn features.  Though I think there's a misconception among the higher ups in Disney and even Dreamworks that the public didn't want to see hand drawn features.  The reason why Disney's hand drawn output faltered is some of the stories weren't the strongest.  Though I love Atlantis and Treasure Planet. 

Indeed Dar...It was quality that sunk.. Especially when Disney was cheap

with the fellow that went on to go form Dreamworks with Speilberg and other top honchos.

Also successfully sued Disney and received nearly a billion dollars for his contributions

to some of the greatest animation wonders in history  aka. The Lion King, Beauty and the BEast and Aladdin.

Well....this sucks. :angry:

Reading this made me really sad. :(

Perhaps someone with power will command hand drawn Disney era  to return

Empire... With enough thought energy on this, its likely to happen.

Im pretty sure millions of Disney fans miss the Hand drawn era, the CGI era is great but

seems soulless on too many occasions.

nothing will ever top the first full feature film from Disney, possibly from what I have read the first full featured animated film ever, " Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" it's no surprise this film has grown on me with all the love and care of Walt Disney himself investing and producing to make sure this classic tale got its adaption and it ends up a masterpiece. Now it's sad to see these artists getting laid off, hopefully they will find work else ware but if there was one thing Walt believed in, it was progress. and like Ladybug mentioned I also hope one day they will have a change of heart and re-open this department, or add a similar one, so that one day we might experience the beauty of hand drawn animation once again. even if it is more costly.

Edited by ThatMovieGuy