A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I guess....

FdhhC4U.gif

I mean, it makes total sense why they'd do a spot like this - target females exclusively, sell the romance aspect that actually is an aspect of the film. but the tonal inconsistency between the marketing pieces is the problem here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

I guess....

FdhhC4U.gif

I mean, it makes total sense why they'd do a spot like this - target females exclusively, sell the romance aspect that actually is an aspect of the film. but the tonal inconsistency between the marketing pieces is the problem here.

Yeah, it's a marketing issue but I'm not sure it's necessarily a problem for the movie itself. Like that Collider article said, it'll depend on whether they're able to reconcile the different aspects. It'll be interesting to see.

I was really into the Levitate spot and I figure that's going to be representative of part of the second act probably (I haven't read the script), and then there will be a tonal shift once the twist is revealed, but I can't say I'm worried about it. If they handle it well it shouldn't be jarring. 

Edited by amelin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, amelin said:

Yeah, it's a marketing issue but I'm not sure it's necessarily a problem for the movie itself. Like that Collider article said, it'll depend on whether they're able to reconcile the different aspects. It'll be interesting to see.

I was really into the Levitate spot and I figure that's going to be representative of part of the second act probably (I haven't read the script), and then there will be a tonal shift once the twist is revealed, but I can't say I'm worried about it. If they handle it well it shouldn't be jarring. 

Having read the screenplay I'm guessing the 'rom com' elements are in the second act.  there were three pretty distinct acts. I don't think you can really label this film in any one genre.  It is a four quadrant film.

there seems to be a real split on the Levitate music and spot.  For those who DO like it:

Edited by trifle

• Community Manager
16 hours ago, trifle said:

Having read the screenplay I'm guessing the 'rom com' elements are in the second act.  there were three pretty distinct acts. I don't think you can really label this film in any one genre.  It is a four quadrant film.

A four quadrant film has nothing to do with how many genres a film belongs to. It might be a four quadrant film, if it becomes a major hit despite R1, but just because it's a romantic comedy science fiction action adventure film doesn't mean anything.

If all it took to become a four quadrant film was multiple genres, every movie would belong in multiple genres.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

A four quadrant film has nothing to do with how many genres a film belongs to. It might be a four quadrant film, if it becomes a major hit despite R1, but just because it's a romantic comedy science fiction action adventure film doesn't mean anything.

If all it took to become a four quadrant film was multiple genres, every movie would belong in multiple genres.

OK, I thought it just meant being pitched to the various large audience groups... still learning this stuff!

Madrid

I think all the interviews are on this link, if you click the tweet:

Edited by trifle

I understand that Jen and Pratt are going to Korea.  Since I can't read Korean, I am taking that on faith.

another thing another country affiliate is doing... you can buy tickets in the UK.  On one AMC site you can buy tickets in a couple of small towns in MI and FL but I think it just slipped through the cracks, because no one else in the US is selling them yet.

Edited by trifle

Man, I really wish some of these Spanish media outlets made the dubbing a little less overpowering so I could still make out the English underneath. I found a a few clips which I'd really like to listen to but it's just useless, I can't make any of it out.

They look great though and seem to be enjoying the whole thing, as much as you can anyway. Pratt is also having some fun on Instagram by "failing" every selfie he takes with Jen.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Man, I really wish some of these Spanish media outlets made the dubbing a little less overpowering so I could still make out the English underneath. I found a a few clips which I'd really like to listen to but it's just useless, I can't make any of it out.

They look great though and seem to be enjoying the whole thing, as much as you can anyway. Pratt is also having some fun on Instagram by "failing" every selfie he takes with Jen.

Yeah, and it is getting write ups: http://www.gq.com/story/chris-pratt-prank-jennifer-lawrence

Jen isn't on social media, except for a facebook page she barely ever updates (with clips from upcoming movies etc, or for charity).  So since filming began, people have been pestering Pratt to get selfies with Jen.  He finally decided to comply.... in his own way...

Edited by trifle

15 hours ago, JennaJ said:

If you skip the photocall, the conference press was really good, the host has a nice accent, translated the question to english and didn't translate anything to spanish. 

Edited by A District 3 Engineer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

If you skip the photocall, the conference press was really good, the host has a nice accent, translated the question to english and didn't translate anything to spanish. 

I thought it was great that they dressed as stewardesses to pose the questions!

27 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It s the Amazon tv show so pretty soon I guess.

she's seriously going to be on an Amazon tv show?  I know De Niro was going to but Jen?  She's really loyal to her friends...

@The Futurist are you sure?  I just googled it and still only see Julliane Moore and Robert De Niro.  I see a few people speculating that they would LIKE Jen to appear in it, but I don't see anything saying she would.  Did she mention it in one of the Passengers interviews or something?

Run time is officially 1 hour 56 minutes.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Damn, I didn't have time to watch it yesterday and now that video is unavailable. Anyone has another link?

Also - this clip, in particular, is what I was talking about - it sounds like a funny interview, I really wish I could understand some of it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Here's the new link.

Thank you!

Pratt keeps on trolling, LOL.

Another day down with me and my best buddy Jen. #London #passengersmovie

A photo posted by chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) on

Here's an extremely artistic and meaningful video I made in which Jen is heavily featured. #passengersmovie

A video posted by chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) on

• Like 1

I wish they were having more premiers.  Red carpet looks >photocall looks.

Although some of Jen's fans are just happy she has long hair again.

and of course there are responses to Pratt's prank:

Edited by trifle