A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

Kosinski is solidifying himself as quite the mediocre director in my book. The guy knows visuals and not much else. 

This. But, of course, geeks defend everyone who makes pretentious pretty movies (this, Prometheus) and trash everyone who makes pretty movies without pretense that stupid shit is stupid shit (Bay).

Critic!

Yes. Yes I am. 

This. But, of course, geeks defend everyone who makes pretentious pretty movies (this, Prometheus) and trash everyone who makes pretty movies without pretense that stupid shit is stupid shit (Bay).

I kinda like Prometheus, but you're not wrong about geek bias. Ever been to Joblo? I don't think I've ever seen them hate on a male-driven action/scifi film unless it was directed by Bay or Emmerich. 

Edited by tonytr87

Yes. Yes I am. 

I kinda like Prometheus, but you're not wrong about geek bias. Ever been to Joblo? I don't think I've ever seen them hate on a male-driven action/scifi film unless it was directed by Bay or Emmerich. 

Bay and Emmerich make openly stupid movies while Kosinski and co make closeted stupid shit. I`m for coming out of the closet. It isn`t like we are fooled so what`s the point?

Such bullshit this is.

Nope. Prometheus, Tron Legacy, Oblivion are stupid movies. It`s just that they have bleak look about them that prompts some geeks to think of them as deep, as opposed to blowing shit up in the braod daylight.

Kosinski is solidifying himself as quite the mediocre director in my book. The guy knows visuals and not much else. 

Blomkamp, Kosinski, visual feast, poor story telling.

Agreed.

Edited by The Futurist

Blomkamp, Kosinski, visual feast, poor story telling.

Agreed.

I wouldn`t call Blomkamp poor story-teller because D9 has a great set-up and ending. It`s the middle that tried too much (the army, the Nigerians,the Fly transformation) but didn`t really pan out. OTOH, Tron Legacy was a garbage from start to finish (severla bad ideas thrown into one movie) and Oblivion descends into Tropeville hell  after the decent set up and never recovers.

Well of course it will effect it. It will effect EVERY movie just as you say. But I don't think it will DESTROY it's legs to the extent that most think. 

Oblivion might benefit a small amount from IM3 sellouts. If your theater is sold out of IM3, given the choice between R-rated Pain & Gain or PG-13 Oblivion, I can see Oblivion being a suitable second choice. (I can also see Croods or GIJoe being a good alternative for some of the IM3 crowd too.)

Oblivion might benefit a small amount from IM3 sellouts. If your theater is sold out of IM3, given the choice between R-rated Pain & Gain or PG-13 Oblivion, I can see Oblivion being a suitable second choice. (I can also see Croods or GIJoe being a good alternative for some of the IM3 crowd too.)

Is that still a thing nowadays? Maybe I'm just used to NYC, where every new blockbuster plays on 12 screens.

Nope. Prometheus, Tron Legacy, Oblivion are stupid movies. It`s just that they have bleak look about them that prompts some geeks to think of them as deep, as opposed to blowing shit up in the braod daylight.

Forget about those films. But saying "geeks" always defend pretentious movies and shit on "fun" movies is bonkers imo.

Oblivion is headed for trouble in the coming weeks from the looks of it, with IM3 stealing screens in less than 2 weeks, Pain & Gain likely taking the college crowd, 42 holding onto the older crowd, Gatsby in just under 3 weeks and ST2 in less than a month from now. With a B- cinemascore and counter-programming spots being occupied, I don't see it going too far past 100 mil DOM and it has a decent chance of finishing under. However, it's guaranteed 250+ OS from the looks of it, so that should keep it afloat as long as it finishes above a 2.5 multiplier domestically.

Is that still a thing nowadays? Maybe I'm just used to NYC, where every new blockbuster plays on 12 screens.

At a lot of theaters, it's definitely not. If you're going to the Multiplex 28, there's no problem with waiting 20 minutes for the next showing of IM3.

But there are still some smaller theaters in this country. There's going to be theaters where IM3 is only playing on 2 screens, and you're not going to want to wait an hour and a half if you're already at the theater with your kids.

At a lot of theaters, it's definitely not. If you're going to the Multiplex 28, there's no problem with waiting 20 minutes for the next showing of IM3.

But there are still some smaller theaters in this country. There's going to be theaters where IM3 is only playing on 2 screens, and you're not going to want to wait an hour and a half if you're already at the theater with your kids.

True. I guess I'm spoiled, and out of touch with the rest of America. :lol:

Oblivion is headed for trouble in the coming weeks from the looks of it, with IM3 stealing screens in less than 2 weeks, Pain & Gain likely taking the college crowd, 42 holding onto the older crowd, Gatsby in just under 3 weeks and ST2 in less than a month from now. With a B- cinemascore and counter-programming spots being occupied, I don't see it going too far past 100 mil DOM and it has a decent chance of finishing under. However, it's guaranteed 250+ OS from the looks of it, so that should keep it afloat as long as it finishes above a 2.5 multiplier domestically.

Yeah no doubt. Wish they had picked a better release date.

Probably. But I might have time for either Oblivion or 42. I'm leaning 42 right now, but Oblivion is playing at the 70mm Smithsonian IMAX...

Upstream!

But I'd choose Oblivion over 42, because it looks and sounds amazing.  Also, it didn't insult my intelligence like Prometheus did.

• Like 2