Mary and Max (2009)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Touching, original, funny and full of surprises - highly recommended, not only for claymation fans like me. The technical aspects themselves are below Aardman or Laika standard, but efficient; what keeps this film from getting an "A" from me is the drab colour palette and overall depressing tone - don't get me wrong, those are parts of life, too - but you can overdo everything and nearly 90 minutes are a bit much for my taste.

the drab colour palette and the depressing tone add to the movie for me, perfectly blends with the subject matter - a socially awkward child and a man with aspergers trying to make their first friends with each other. funny in the most heartwarming way without being saccharine at all. one of the best animated movies.

9/10

This is a really great human story, and the alternations between Mary and Max really work in creating rich characters who live far from ideal lives. There's a strong sense of personal tragedy and fear in this, yet the film manages to be simultaneously dark and full of life. Few directors can pull this off.

I didn't like it six years ago, I still don't like it after giving another try.

Worst aspect? Most definitely the narration and characters barely speaking at all (while being excessively stereotypical). To me, it seemed I was listening an audio book that just happened to involve moving images and not watching a movie. "Let's recollect memories while we write letters" section of the movie was nearly insufferable to get through. 35/100