#ED

Unfriended (2015)

Unfriended (2015)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Unfriended (2015)

So basically this movie was a slutty version of SAW. Except quite a lot slower since the girl took forever to click on anything on her computer. 

Overall I liked it, but it seemed like we were missing a lot of information about the kids' relationships and also there were a lot of unanswered questions. Like why didn't they just leave the house? Where were their families? Am I supposed to believe not one of these 6 kids has any family at home at night, except one girl's dog?

And how did Laura bully them? They never said. I assume the video was to get even with her, but they didn't address that either.

So basically this movie was a slutty version of SAW. Except quite a lot slower since the girl took forever to click on anything on her computer.

Overall I liked it, but it seemed like we were missing a lot of information about the kids' relationships and also there were a lot of unanswered questions. Like why didn't they just leave the house? Where were their families? Am I supposed to believe not one of these 6 kids has any family at home at night, except one girl's dog?

And how did Laura bully them? They never said. I assume the video was to get even with her, but they didn't address that either.

Slutty?

About to go see this but am a bit surprised at "the slutty version of saw". Is it as gory as the Saw movies? Because I know hose were all 18A, whereas this got a 14A. Looking forward to it, hope it's good.

About to go see this but am a bit surprised at "the slutty version of saw". Is it as gory as the Saw movies? Because I know hose were all 18A, whereas this got a 14A. Looking forward to it, hope it's good.

No it's no where near as violent. There are some gory seconds but they go quick. I was more referring to the concept of the movie. It plays out like SAW.

• Like 1

Okay so I just got back from it. I see what you mean about Saw

The whole "I want to play a game" aspect

and yea it's nowhere near as violent, but that makes it much more effective and scary

the hand and neck in the blender would have been just gross if it hadn't been like quick cuts and blurry etc.

It didn't feel too long, but it did something that all horror movies should do, it make me feel like I was in danger, even though I was just sitting in a movie theatre. I did feel scared admittedly (a few of the girls that were going to go chickened out, but the one who did kept saying "why did we see this? Why can't we see Paul Blart?").

The ending was a bit weird, if anyone has any ideas can you please explain it to me? :)  What I took from it was

the face at the computer at the end was like demonic Laura

But the movie built up tension really well. The Skype setting felt original, and while the execution wasn't completely original, it had some aspects that made it it's own. It's not a fantastic, but it's a good horror movie.

• Like 2

This was a breath of fresh air to me.

Basically, this film took all that is wrong in society today and made a film about it, a horror film to be exact.

In a way, it almost like the film was never once victim-blaming or shaming, whatever. Each of the teens had done something wrong, and they were going to face the consequences.

It was pretty powerful. They took advantage of how the whole film is seen through a laptop screen. Maybe, the fact this was all shot on a screen hid the fact some of them might be weak actors, but I thought the acting was pretty strong, especially from the lead and Jess.

It was never too gory or anything. It could have been much more gruesome, but it relied more on the acting, music, and suspense to scare the viewer.

Pretty damn good. I got a poster of the film after I left. Bless.

8.5/10

• Like 5

This was a lot of fun. It's not very scary (though Val silently staring at the camera without moving did creep me the hell out), and the characters are hard to give a shit about, but it's endlessly inventive in the way it takes the basic slasher premise into the virtual world. The group chat is like the cabin in the woods, the default Skype icon is like the killer's mask, the "see friendship" section of FB is like flashbacks, the ominous forum is like the useless expert who shows up in the second half, etc.

It was also hilarious how Laura's ghost was able to do literally everything she wanted both in reality and online (possess and stalk multiple people almost simultaneously, remove certain buttons in Skype and on Facebook, turn on the music on Spotify; she's like if Samantha from Her was also a demon in addition to everything she could do), while the teens literally had no choice but to sit on their asses and stay in the chat. 

• Like 3

the kids did their job well and there was enough tension for a horror movie to work, but behind its really fun and fresh new way of storytelling, it lays a completely generic movie, and ultimately a forgettable one. I enjoyed it very much, but this won't stay with me for a long time. 65/100

16 hours ago, The Stingray said:

I give it points for being innovative and socially relevant, but overall it's a pretty lackluster affair.

6/10

yeah i saw this the other day and feel the same exact way.  The "moral" and using the technology that teens uses was mostly good, but yeah as a whole the movie was pretty bare and lifeless

C+

• Like 2