18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Project X

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Project X mini-review (no spoilers!)

Man. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that targeted such a specific audience with its premise. Thankfully I'm in that demographic and enjoyed the hell out of this. But anyone outside the ages of 15-25 or so I can definitely see getting annoyed by this exercise in extreme chaos and debauchery.

The movie's basically the idea that in order to become popular and like in high school, the way to do it is to throw a bad ass party. And that's what our likeable loser-y protagonists intend to do. Thomas is the main character going along with his best friend, Costa's antics (Costa starts off rather annoying, but he changes as you get to know him). The third friend is JB, the lovable chubby friend with some great scenes in this. The party starts off like most good parties do with dancing and swimming and drinking. It starts to spiral out of control and the protagonists are left to just enjoy the magnificent night they created. It's chaotic. It's inappropriate. It's pretty freaking awesome to see how it all goes down.

I can't give it a full glowing review, though. Once through, the film works fantasticly. On repeat viewings I can see it getting stale. The tacked on romantic storyline feels a tad bit forced. And the "was-it-worth-it" factor is definitely in question even though the Monday after the characters seem to think it was.

Also it's not getting much mention, but the found-footage style works fantastically here, and I'd love to see it used in more unique ways like this before spooky ghost stories kill the genre.

So after all of my rambling: It's entertaining beyond all get out, and the main characters are fairly likable, but don't expect much more. FINAL GRADE: 7.5/10 or "Love it."

P.S. Credits! During the credits or right before (I forget) there's some news scenes and freeze frame 'where they are now' slides of the main characters. Pretty cool stuff.

Edited by hogwash13777

This movie was meant for a certain age, I'm 17, therefore I fall under that age. If you are going to hate on this movie, go ahead, but for all it's worth it was the most FUN I've had at a movie since Mission: Impossible 4. And that's what it's all about, right?

B+. It took me back to my partying days :lol: . I mean I was never at anything that crazy (obviously) but most of the things in the movie rang true. The cursing in the movie took me aback in the beginning of the movie but once I got accustomed to it I was fine. The party itself was epic, the music was great, the security kids were hilarious, the punching oven midget was something else. This has to be one of the most fun movies i've seen in a while and lol forever @ the updates in the end, especially the short bus.

Edited by glassfairy

I saw this a couple weeks ago. Film isn't really all that funny. Didn't care for the GF/best friend sidequest. The party itself was cool but ultimately forgettable. Lots of crazy things going on but well not enough to get me remember anything interesting about the film. The ending with the gnome guy torching the neighborhood was just dumb and unrealistic for a "found footage movie." I give it a C+.