The Hunt for Red October

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Hunt For Red October

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Intresting how the best Jack Ryan film is the one with Alec Baldwin. When Ford is a much better actor. Anyway I have always loved this film and it has great visuals. As well as great music. Connery is great.(Oddly I have never seen Patriot Games, even if I've seen the other 3, and saw this way back in the early 90s, as well as Danger in the mid 90s)A+

Yes. Definitely the best Jack Ryan movie. Would have been great if Alec Baldwin had stayed with the role. We could have seen more of the books made into movies. Unfortunately(however, good for all the eastern block countries) world events moved on from the books so they would have made increasingly less sense as movie unless there were wholesale plot changes(which we got with Affleck's Ryan). In the books The Hunt for Red October is actually after Patriot Games.

Infinitely re-watchable, Sean Connery in his (2nd) prime, fantastic ensemble cast, and some seriously excellent dialogue. Toss in an incredible score by Basil Poledouris and it really puts it over the top for me. One of a handful of movies I watch at least once a year.A+

One of my favorite movies. Perfectly paced, great score, wonderful cast, nicely tense -- it's amazing that something rated PG doesn't remotely feel like it's been toned down; it's perfect adult entertainment that just happens to be good family-friendly entertainment too.

I read the book first, when I was a kid, and during my first viewing I was a bit annoyed at the changes they made. But years later, I re-read the book, and completely agree with the approach they took. The book rambles, has way too many characters, and all sorts of showdowns and events that really don't have much to do with the main plot. The movie is taut, cohesive, and flat-out AWESOME.

A

Edited by Telemachos

Intresting how the best Jack Ryan film is the one with Alec Baldwin. When Ford is a much better actor. Anyway I have always loved this film and it has great visuals. As well as great music. Connery is great.

(Oddly I have never seen Patriot Games, even if I've seen the other 3, and saw this way back in the early 90s, as well as Danger in the mid 90s)

A+

PATRIOT GAMES is worth seeing. Not great, but some good stuff -- a nice car chase, one of the more delightfully oddball endings ever, and a bunch of supporting "lesser known" actors who are now pretty well known: Sean Bean, Thora Birch, Samuel L. Jackson, Polly Walker...

Patriot Games is pretty darn good. Harrison Ford is strong though he sort of turns Jack Ryan into an action hero when Ryan's more of a hero who ends up in action.But yeah, they don't make PG films like this anymore, though this hovers on the border between PG and PG-13 with a couple things (like Connery breaking the neck of the Political Officer).