Plain Old Tele

Before Midnight (2013)

Before Midnight (2013)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Definitely a worthy successor to the first two, and /must/ get a screenplay nomination. And Julie Delpy in a perfect world. There are like eight scenes in this movie total - long conversations, with the last one being at least 30 minutes or something. However, I didn't like the very end. It felt really "deus ex machina." 

1. Sunset

2. Midnight

3. Sunrise

No, I think they still let you buy a ticket.

Yes, I think so. There's a lot of references to the first two that make you squeal and point at the screen when they say them and it makes you feel all fuzzy inside like they're real, actual people. 

Perfection. It adds to the other two movies as much as Sunset added to Sunrise because of how much more invested we are in this relationship, though the film simultaneously works on its own as a day in the life of a sad, beautiful, funny, intimate, real love story. We never know where this relationship will end, and I never want to. 

If Linklater decides to Michael Apted this series and keep giving us a new installment every nine years, then I'd be thrilled. We should be so lucky. 

• Like 4

I have seen 27 new releases this year so far and finally I have my first A.

All I can say is Wow, Wow, Wow! I was truly blown away. 

I have never watched a movie that felt so real before. The acting is outstanding and Oscar worthy.

The way the camera doesn't move at all until the last shot is truly fantastic, it took my breath away. 

• Like 1

I have seen 27 new releases this year so far and finally I have my first A.

All I can say is Wow, Wow, Wow! I was truly blown away. 

I have never watched a movie that felt so real before. The acting is outstanding and Oscar worthy.

The way the camera doesn't move at all until the last shot is truly fantastic, it took my breath away. 

Have you seen the other two Before movies?

However, I didn't like the very end. It felt really "deus ex machina." 

Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. I wouldn't call it a "deus ex machina" but it was kind of disappointing that Celine changed heart so quickly. I may need to think about it for awhile but as of right now it's the only thing keeping me from giving a A+ to a very funny, well-written third installment in a very funny, well-written trilogy. Surely Linklater will finally get some Oscar attention.

I think the last scene captures the nature of their relationship in a nutshell. We see them impersonate other ideas of people all the time, but when Celine doesn't fall for it, we hear Jesse say what we've been thinking for three movies: if you want true, unabiding love, then here it is. And this isn't to say the ending is necessarily happy, because it's not like they resolved any of their issues and aren't going to argue about them again. Life doesn't work like that. But for now- and forever- these two people love each other. It's just plain obvious. I really dug how deceptively simple the ending was.

• Like 2

^exactly my thoughts! Glad we're back on the same page. The whole time, I was thinking, God please don't let this be the end of them. They are true soul mates and can't let something like this get between them. Then Jesse said that line and all my anxiety went away.

I never expected a serious rift, I just hoped for some kind of meaningful breakdown/apology before she went all "well, I guess I am going to fuck you tonight."

I don't think that's what she's implying at the end. By playing along with Jesse's game, she's indicating that even with all the fundamental disagreements they have about where they'll live and everything else going on, things will be okay between them because they still understand each other. Sex isn't necessarily implied, and it wouldn't be a major deal for them either. If Sunrise and Sunset are about this couple having sex for the first time and then the first time in nine years (and all the courtship in between), Midnight is about a night in a hotel room where sex seems to be the end goal of the evening but it's nothing special for this couple anymore. Bickering and drama get in the way of it this time, and given where these characters are in their lives, that makes perfect sense. (I'm not really arguing against you here, I'm just exploring the trilogy in a different light)
  • Like 1

What I love about this film, and what makes it maybe my favorite, is how this is the "real world" version of their relationship. The first two were about then falling in love and now we see them face the same challenges everyone else faces. Kids, Jesse realizing his role as a father to to his son, falling out of love (even for a moment), contemplating job opportunities, etc. It's a hauntingly real film about relationships, and that's what makes this trilogy (at least for now) near-perfect.

• Like 2