Plain Old Tele

Before Midnight (2013)

Before Midnight (2013)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's a stunning symphony of acting, writing and directing. Everything is flowing perfectly together. I never once saw "acting". The naturalism in the performances and the words coming out of their mouths is really something to behold. I will say watching this with my girlfriend of three years was an arduous but rewarding experience. There are moments that just cut to the bone of any long-term relationship. I was practically withering away in my seat during the blowout, but it gave us a whole lot to talk about afterwards.

• Like 7

Holy shit, this truly is a perfect movie. I finally watched it on blu ray (my third viewing), and was completely and utterly blown away. It was already at an A+, but now it's like top 5 all time for me. Sorry, WOLF, you had a good week as number one for me, but back to number two. I wish this had a chance at winning adapted screenplay.

• Like 1

Ok, this was really disappointing for me after watching the first two, which were amazing. Celine got a bit crazy at the end. It's like, she's not even the same woman who was in the last two films of the trilogy. The first three-quarters of the movie were the most disappointing though. But the way they reconciled just before the movie ended redeemed it from a worse rating. I liked that part.

B-

What is it about these films that make me cry Maybe because it feels so real , after rewatching sunset I started watching this and the contrast was stark def not in the same emotional place , more bickering and conflicts so I stopped and didn't watch the last hour until tonight Gopher you really get this movie ..I'm really amazed by it they do a great job of making you believe this couple is at this stage of their relationship where things are a bit rocky but they have such a great foundation based on love and friendship and truly getting each otherThey say after a few years the traits a couple liked about each other is what drives them apart After giving it some thoughts I think its important we see the rough patches this couple go through and what keeps them going , what's the glue that keeps them from sinking Yep life isn't always seen through the prism of rose-colored glasses To me the ending just showed how much jesse knows her and reminded her she knows him too and that they have something worth fighting for ..I was 99% expecting this to end with them going their separate ways like so many couples do after a decade together but they don't at least for now anyway We get a reprieve and director leaves us on a hopeful note that these two are not over yet and still want to be together in spite of their numerous issues that complicate their relationshipAnother thing I did like was the inclusion of the other couples in the beginning so we see different pov and take on love/relationships that was nice and insightful Its very true when you're young its hard to distinguish romantic love from real love and how one can and should transition into the other if the relationship is going to thrive and survive when the going gets tough as they say After all they could be in love with an A.I. This trilogy reminds me of french author marcel pagnol numerous trilogies set in his beloved home region of la provence which were beautifully adapted to movie medium that guy had a gift for writing life as it was simple and yet meaningful with real characters flawed and complex Always wonder how some directors managed to do that in 2/3 hrs and others don't

• Like 1

Saw the third last night.

Subjectively, this is easily one of the more overrated trilogies out there.  I simply don't connect to the story or characters in any manner.  It all feels very orchestrated and scripted to me.  People don't talk or behave in the way these people do.  

Burn me at the stake if you must.