#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

Transformers 4 is a safe bet to win next summer, honestly. Wahlberg will re ignite alot of interest in the franchise, and I expect pretty good WOM and better critical reception.

Safe bet makes it a boring bet. And it doesn't really feel like a sure thing even with Wahlberg.

• Like 1

I guess I'm looking forward to next summer more than most, both as a filmgoer and a BO fan. It's very interesting in this day and age to have a summer that might not even produce a $350m hit, but might have a pretty big amount of $200m and $250m films; frankly I'd much rather see that than one or two movies dominating everything else. And how exciting is it that we have no idea what will win the summer? TASM 2, HTTYD 2, TF4, and even things like The Good Dinosaur and DOFP could all be seen as contenders. Most of the time before a summer starts you already know it's going to be two movies at most fighting for the top spot (DH2 and TF3, TA and TDKR, etc.). Having more is pretty fascinating if you ask me.

• Like 3

Why would you expect better critical reception?

They're starting from scratch. It's not gonna be GREAT critical reception, but with a new cast and new conceit, it should do a little better. Especially if Bay cuts down on the humor

I guess I'm looking forward to next summer more than most, both as a filmgoer and a BO fan. It's very interesting in this day and age to have a summer that might not even produce a $350m hit, but might have a pretty big amount of $200m and $250m films; frankly I'd much rather see that than one or two movies dominating everything else. And how exciting is it that we have no idea what will win the summer? TASM 2, HTTYD 2, TF4, and even things like The Good Dinosaur and DOFP could all be seen as contenders. Most of the time before a summer starts you already know it's going to be two movies at most fighting for the top spot (DH2 and TF3, TA and TDKR, etc.). Having more is pretty fascinating if you ask me.

THIS.

But box office is about grosses not tickets sold.

I measure both because of inflation, okay? And people im interested to see how many people go. I dont care if a month, season, or movie has broke a record, if its still near the bottom of the barrel in the top 10/15/20 or whatever, then its not a true record in my eyes. Damn some countries even measure admissions, people can follow BO however they want. Stop worrying about it. 2011 was a stupid summer, i dont care if it was a "record".

The thing about Godzilla is that there is a good movie there just waiting to bust out.  But how do you make it good?  How much can really be done with Godzilla?

I got to here and I was thinking "characters".

It's a giant dinosaur that goes on a rampage.  In order for it to be more than that, you need a good human story with good human characters.  Look at it like Armageddon.  It's just a movie about an asteroid about to slam into our planet.  What made that film was Bay of course but more importantly the funny script, the fantastic cast and a brilliant script.  Godzilla will need this to succeed.

You agree with me! Although I think ID4 is a better example.
  • Like 1

They're starting from scratch. It's not gonna be GREAT critical reception, but with a new cast and new conceit, it should do a little better. Especially if Bay cuts down on the humor

But it's basically the same thing with Bay in charge. Why would it be dramatically different?
  • Like 1

I measure both because of inflation, okay? And people im interested to see how many people go. I dont care if a month, season, or movie has broke a record, if its still near the bottom of the barrel in the top 10/15/20 or whatever, then its not a true record in my eyes. Damn some countries even measure admissions, people can follow BO however they want. Stop worrying about it. 2011 was a stupid summer, i dont care if it was a "record".

I don't care if you don't care. You have your own definition, fine. Good for you.

I got to here and I was thinking "characters".You agree with me! Although I think ID4 is a better example.

Yes, we are on the same page.  The characters in ID4 and Armageddon make it imo, a cut above.  

No, you can do that. I explained my point in a calm way and here you are acting like a kid.

Because we had this same argument last weekend. Yes I love F6, one of my favorites if not #1, but I AM NOT bias for it. I dont feel goikg through this again. I explained this and last weekend why WOM is good. Now I have better things to go do.

But it's basically the same thing with Bay in charge. Why would it be dramatically different?

There's only so much they can do with that formula. It's not like Fast and Furious where they can change the kind of action movie it is.

With Transformers, it's always gonna be the Decepticons going for world domination and the Autobots as our protectors.

Edited by Jay Beezy