#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

• Founder / Operator

If Sony really thought they had something in This is the End, they would move it to August. Placing it the same weekend as Man of Steel (increasingly looking like a monster hit) whiffs of dumping.

I do have to agree on that point. It's an interesting strategy.

Thing about Ninja Turtles...

They've been trying to resell, rebrand, repackage the property since the CBS cartoon ended in the mid 90s. Various live-action shows, cartoons, toylines, etc. followed. None of em clicked. Don't see how/why this new movie breaks that mold. Something like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Transformers and even Star Trek and G.I. Joe have shown their popularity transcends generations. Have seen nothing to suggest that for the Turtles.

This is a name-brand linked exclusively to us kids born in the 80s. Don't see the movie doing well. At face value, at least.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

They'd have to compete with the similarly themed The World's End.

Much as I love Pegg/Frost/Wright, I'd still give TITE the upper hand. British humor is, sadly, lost on too many Americans.

• Like 1

Much as I love Pegg/Frost/Wright, I'd still give TITE the upper hand. British humor is, sadly, lost on too many Americans.

The upside to the Pegg/Frost/Wright films is that they don't cost so much that they flop. Of course, I don't know what the budget is on TWE.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Third was by far the most successful because it was Fast 6. The first will be by far the most successful next summer because it's Fast 7  :P

I think Pain & Gain is a good comp. to Hercules, although Herc should be a little bigger

Depends on the final product. My point is that he's becoming a significant draw, and audiences clearly aren't getting tired of him yet. ;)

Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

the difference being: we've already had large X-Men movies with huge casts full of mutants

Not with huge casts full of leading characters from two established generations of the franchise, though.

• Like 1

How is moving it up from October to August, dumping it?

Weekend before Labor Day. End of the summer. Traditionally a dumping ground. Studios throw out a lot of their excessive waste (crap) there. Not saying The World's End sucks (Looks awesome) BUT... Universal is wiping their hands clean. No ways around that. Geek sites refuse to comment on this cold hard fact because they interact with Wright, Pegg and Frost.

Unlike in the UK where its opening in mid/late July. A great slot and sign of confidence.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Would This is the End beating The Internship be considered an upset? I don't really know what the industry prospects are for The Internship, but I feel it's not even going to top $15m on OW.

No way. If Internship beats TITE, it would be an upset then.

Not with huge casts full of leading characters from two established generations of the franchise, though.

Well, one of those casts didn't set the BO on fire. And I think people have grown tired of Wolverine. We'll get a better idea after The Wolverine opens. Edited by Jay Beezy

Would This is the End beating The Internship be considered an upset?

Since most tracking suggests that TITE will beat Internship, the answer is no. Not an upset in the least.